Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrade at Gate?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Paid Upgrade at Gate?

Hello,
We're flying SAV-ATL-LIM in Oct and was wondering about a paid upgrade for ATL-LIM leg? We have no status and are booked in T.
Alternatively, if I call a day before (or on the day) would DL give us a "deal" to upgrade? Or just save those seats for last minute / award pax?
From searching the forum I don't think there's much chance, but with airline policies changing so much, maybe someone in the know can advise?
Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:54 am

Programs: DL PM .313 MM & CRC, AA .453 MM, HH Silver, Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
Dream on. But welcome to flyertalk. You've come to the right place for answers to your airline FF program questions.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
The deal is paying the difference between a J tix and your T ticket. In the unlikely event they may do an OP up but very unlikly with no status and low fare class.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
Without status, you will not be able to upgrade a "T" fare.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Welcome to FT.

As others have mentioned, you have no chance of upgrading your T fare. T is the lowest paid fare that DL has and is not upgradeable, regardless of the approach you take.

With airlines policies constantly changing, you'll find it more difficult to fly, not easier.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Now if you were flying Skyteam member Aeroflot, cerca three years ago, the paid upgrade would be easy. Today it's just about impossible (although I've produced a letter written by a Tashkent doctor stating my knees require biz class and I've been upgraded 4 for 4 going Central Asia to SVO/ICN since Aeroflot became a Skyteam member).
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Like the others have said, without status you won't be able to upgrade a T fare. If gate upgrades are available you could buy-up to a K fare and then pay the gate-upgrade fee. This is a risk since if you buy up to a K and get on the paid gate upgrade list, but those upgrades are filled by Medallions, SDCs, or anyone else the Gate Agent may upgrade ahead of you, you would have paid up your fare for nothing.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:26 am
Original Poster

thank you for your replies (and confirming my fears). Looks like it's Y for us for this trip. Oh well.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Like the others have said, without status you won't be able to upgrade a T fare. If gate upgrades are available you could buy-up to a K fare and then pay the gate-upgrade fee. This is a risk since if you buy up to a K and get on the paid gate upgrade list, but those upgrades are filled by Medallions, SDCs, or anyone else the Gate Agent may upgrade ahead of you, you would have paid up your fare for nothing.
IME, most likely those empty seats up front will be filled with non-revs.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:38 pm

zsmith2,

What does "OP" stand for in reference to your statement, "In the unlikely event they may do an OP up but very unlikly with no status and low fare class."?

I tried searching but cannot find the answer.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Robmorrow
zsmith2,

What does "OP" stand for in reference to your statement, "In the unlikely event they may do an OP up but very unlikly with no status and low fare class."?

I tried searching but cannot find the answer.
Operational upgrade: an undeserved upgrade granted for operational reasons (most often when Y is oversold).
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Deleted
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
IME, most likely those empty seats up front will be filled with non-revs.
You have your benefits, we got ours......
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:32 am

Just to fully explain the situation to the OP... There are lots of people in line for upgrades. First are people willing to pay miles or Platinum upgrade certificates; must be booked in YBMHQK. Then are medallions; can be booked in YBMHQK or LUT. After that come "no status" folks who are willing to pay a fee to upgrade at the gate; must be booked in YBMHQK. After that, are non-revs.

So, since you're on a T fare, you're out of options. You could buy up to K and then try miles.

The operational upgrade (op up) that was mentioned would happen if coach were oversold and they needed to move some people up front to get everyone into coach. It's a bit unclear how they would do the op ups in this case, since any medallion would already be up front, but it's a very long shot anyway, so...

P.S. There are two uses of OP, just to avoid confusion..."OP" can be "original poster" or part of "op up" meaning "operational upgrade."
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Just to fully explain the situation to the OP... There are lots of people in line for upgrades. First are people willing to pay miles or Platinum upgrade certificates; must be booked in YBMHQK. Then are medallions; can be booked in YBMHQK or LUT. After that come "no status" folks who are willing to pay a fee to upgrade at the gate; must be booked in YBMHQK. After that, are non-revs.

So, since you're on a T fare, you're out of options. You could buy up to K and then try miles.

The operational upgrade (op up) that was mentioned would happen if coach were oversold and they needed to move some people up front to get everyone into coach. It's a bit unclear how they would do the op ups in this case, since any medallion would already be up front, but it's a very long shot anyway, so...

P.S. There are two uses of OP, just to avoid confusion..."OP" can be "original poster" or part of "op up" meaning "operational upgrade."
Since the OP is talking about an upgrade on an International flight, there will be no Medallion upgrades or upgrades for sale regardless of fare class. PMU's, yes. Op Up's, yes. non-rev's, yes. Nothing else, unless I'm mistaken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.