Baggage fees apply for Elite companions?

Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Baggage fees apply for Elite companions?

I can't find this in the exemptions, so I think I know the answer - but does the exemption from second bag fees apply to companions / family traveling on the same record as an elite SM member? It does on American, where I do most of my flying, but doesn't seem to on Delta. Can anyone confirm - this will be my first trip with family checking bags since new fees went into effect.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I'm not sure, but remember that your allowance is 3 bags up to 70 lbs. without charge. So even if they don't qualify, you can check a companion's bag as your own.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:03 pm

Question 3 bags free soon to go bye-bye

Originally Posted by safigan
I'm not sure, but remember that your allowance is 3 bags up to 70 lbs. without charge. So even if they don't qualify, you can check a companion's bag as your own.
Those 3 bags-allowance at 70 pounds is being considered to be changed to 2 bags not exceeding 45 pounds each, as more and more folk qualify as elites -- and we can't blame this or any other downsizing on fuel as airlines pay LESS for fuel than what is commonly thought and what THEY want YOU to BELIEVE....

Watch for it. It's coming down the road in short order....
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Originally Posted by safigan
I thought 3 @ 70 lbs. was only for GM and PM, not FO (which is what appears the OP is).
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:44 pm

Silver gets 3 bags @ 70 lb each. Also, OP if you purchased your tix prior to April 9, 2008, there is no second bag fee period.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:49 pm

just for medallions, NOT their companions.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
Those 3 bags-allowance at 70 pounds is being considered to be changed to 2 bags not exceeding 45 pounds each, as more and more folk qualify as elites -- and we can't blame this or any other downsizing on fuel as airlines pay LESS for fuel than what is commonly thought and what THEY want YOU to BELIEVE....

Watch for it. It's coming down the road in short order....
What's your factual basis for stating this as a DL policy change?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
OMG, can I now tell an agent that I know an elite and should get extra luggage allowance for free ???
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
OMG, can I now tell an agent that I know an elite and should get extra luggage allowance for free ???
The OP meant something along the lines of Me and my SO go to Seattle and want to ship 6 cases of wine back with us... can we do it? I have had luck as I said that the SO was flying in F and i was a PM.

YMMV
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boston Bulldog, your post is nonsensical.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by WBurcham
The OP meant something along the lines of Me and my SO go to Seattle and want to ship 6 cases of wine back with us... can we do it? I have had luck as I said that the SO was flying in F and i was a PM.

YMMV
Are you serious??? Why would you ship 6 cases of vino via the airline when a trucking company will do it better.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Are you serious??? Why would you ship 6 cases of vino via the airline when a trucking company will do it better.
Sorry, boxes.... of 12 bottles each.

Bringing it on the plane costs $0. Shipping it is far more expensive.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by hfly
Boston Bulldog, your post is nonsensical.
get used to that.

but to answer the OP's question....since you're a medallion you are entitled to 3 bags and your companion 1...so 4 bags total. should be more than enough allowance...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.