VDB in FRA...$10000 and counting

 
Old Aug 6, 08, 2:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ATL/MOO (Many Others Often)
Programs: DL DM (MM), SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
Posts: 2,446
VDB in FRA...$10000 and counting

The family and I are on Day 2 of playing the bump game here in FRA. We're up to $10k in flight vouchers and comfy stays at local hotels with food and 3 rooms provided. We might go for one more day tomorrow before going ahead and getting home on Friday. The only thing that has yet to work out has been the upgrade to BE. My lap child and 3 kids under 9 might have something to do with it not happening yet but absolutely full flights seem to be a more likely culprit.

I absolutely LOVE the ground staff here at FRA. Today, they were waiting on us when we arrived and offered us the bump option without even making us go through immigration and security. We were in our hotel room before the flight actually even left. Great people who always go out of their way to aid me and my family.

The baggage that SU lost on Monday in Moscow is already in Atlanta waiting to be delivered to our home. We're the dream bump candidate Delta says as we number 5 tickets total, have no checked bags, and are generally nice and non-demanding about the whole process.

Anyone know what the record bump run is in a case like this? $20k is a very real possibility...
woody125 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 6:00 am
  #2  
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hilton Head Island, SC
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 1,914
Stay put.

At $5K per day, and a weekend coming up, what is your hurry to get home? Go for the record.

How does a Tuesday return sound? Hang in there.

You won't get that sinking feeling that the bump run is over until you actually have to board the plane.


Enjoy the 5K High.

College educations are expensive these days.
ingy is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 7:30 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Posts: 13,525
Wow. Is this from a longer thread somewhere else? I'd be interested in hearing more about what led to your "most unfortunate situation." Keep 'em coming!

Mike

Originally Posted by woody125 View Post
The family and I are on Day 2 of playing the bump game here in FRA. We're up to $10k in flight vouchers and comfy stays at local hotels with food and 3 rooms provided. We might go for one more day tomorrow before going ahead and getting home on Friday. The only thing that has yet to work out has been the upgrade to BE. My lap child and 3 kids under 9 might have something to do with it not happening yet but absolutely full flights seem to be a more likely culprit.

I absolutely LOVE the ground staff here at FRA. Today, they were waiting on us when we arrived and offered us the bump option without even making us go through immigration and security. We were in our hotel room before the flight actually even left. Great people who always go out of their way to aid me and my family.

The baggage that SU lost on Monday in Moscow is already in Atlanta waiting to be delivered to our home. We're the dream bump candidate Delta says as we number 5 tickets total, have no checked bags, and are generally nice and non-demanding about the whole process.

Anyone know what the record bump run is in a case like this? $20k is a very real possibility...
mikeef is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 7:32 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Posts: 10,839
A toast to you. Very impressive, I'm jealous.
AndyTLe is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 8:39 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,816
Just a few more days and the family can book a RTW itinerary and earn the RDMs

Alternatively (in Zoltar voice) - "I see a year of free travel in your future".
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 8:41 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ATL
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 199
Too bad FRA isnt more touristy. $10k is a pretty impressive whatever the record !! Let us know the final amount when you finally get home
BG-777Flyer is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 8:41 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by woody125 View Post
I absolutely LOVE the ground staff here at FRA. Today, they were waiting on us when we arrived and offered us the bump option without even making us go through immigration and security.
"Oh hi guys! Nice to see you again. You'll be ordering the usual thing today, right? Here you are. Thanks, and see you tomorrow!"

Sounds like an excellent deal you're having there. Kudos!
StefanNYC is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:08 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,816
Originally Posted by BG-777Flyer View Post
Too bad FRA isnt more touristy. $10k is a pretty impressive whatever the record !! Let us know the final amount when you finally get home
With $5K a day in vouchers, one could justify booking any number of day-trips from FRA (whether on a plane or renting a car / taking a train).

As far as extending the stay over the weekend - the OP might have children who start school soon - day after tomorrow for local system here.
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:13 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Posts: 10,839
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
As far as extending the stay over the weekend - the OP might have children who start school soon - day after tomorrow for local system here.
Limited stay may be due to the OP's work rather than kid's school. This is better than anything they learn on the first day of school. Just remember to bring back some nice presents.
AndyTLe is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:17 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ATL
Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Posts: 5,073
How is it $5K a day?! I thought you get $400 a person and there are 5 of you, so that would be $2K, right?
MikeyZBT is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:23 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,816
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT View Post
How is it $5K a day?! I thought you get $400 a person and there are 5 of you, so that would be $2K, right?
Actually, the IDB compensation in Europe would be 600 euro per person - DL is probably offering something fairly close.
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:24 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Posts: 10,839
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT View Post
How is it $5K a day?! I thought you get $400 a person and there are 5 of you, so that would be $2K, right?
Multiple flights per day?
AndyTLe is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:26 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ATL
Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Posts: 5,073
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Actually, the IDB compensation in Europe would be 600 euro per person - DL is probably offering something fairly close.
Wow, 600 Euro a person? That's about $900 a person, times 5, so there you go.

And if you use these vouchers, you still get the miles and MQM's right?

Another random/related question, if I got a $25 courtesy e-voucher for bad TVs, can I use that e-voucher and still get miles and MQMs?

Thanks.
MikeyZBT is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:28 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,816
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT View Post
And if you use these vouchers, you still get the miles and MQM's right?

Another random/related question, if I got a $25 courtesy e-voucher for bad TVs, can I use that e-voucher and still get miles and MQMs?
If it's a cash-value voucher, I don't know any situation where the answer is no - I'm sure others could provide more detail.
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:30 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,643
Dude, you're in Europe, EU 261/2004 applies. They are nice to you because by law if they had to IDB 5 people they have to pay about the same amount in Cash + hotel + phone calls + Ticket Refunds if delay is more than 5 hours + Transport home. They are nice to you because they are getting off CHEAP.
motytrah is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: