VDB in FRA...$10000 and counting

Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:40 am

Programs: UA *G
Did you fly out today?! I think $10k has gotta be a record of some sort..

I've had really good luck with op ups on DL out of SVO to JFK; but never had a VDB offer..

-A
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by motytrah
Dude, you're in Europe, EU 261/2004 applies. They are nice to you because by law if they had to IDB 5 people they have to pay about the same amount in Cash + hotel + phone calls + Ticket Refunds if delay is more than 5 hours + Transport home. They are nice to you because they are getting off CHEAP.
If they arrange for transport home, they do not have to refund your ticket, but they do have to provide you with everything else.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
I think the OP is on the way home. Good run though as the flight went out full again.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM .313 MM & CRC, AA .453 MM, HH Silver, Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
My best was $2000 each for two of us in ATL one spring break weekend a few years ago. 3 VDBs (Friday night, Sat. morning, and Sunday morning) netted us $750, $500, and $750 each. We flew for free for a year on those vouchers in the days of $205 RT transcon fares, and managed to do a couple more VDBs resulting in more vouchers while flying on tix that purchased with Delta's own money.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
^

You may not be the only one flying to FRA in hopes of IDB!

Shall I start a FRAVDB-DO thread??
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
I think the OP is on the way home. Good run though as the flight went out full again.

Last edited by OHDL1; Aug 8, 2008 at 3:40 am
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Yep...they're on the way to ATL. It was interesting to Google name and see what took them to the Russian Republic.
How were you able to tell the 5 made it on?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
The key to this whole thing is that you still get miles and MQMs when using these vouchers, right?

Earning miles and not paying for them = perfect.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
The key to this whole thing is that you still get miles and MQMs when using these vouchers, right?

Earning miles and not paying for them = perfect.
Yep. Other airlines give out "free tickets" that may hold a higher monetary value but you don't earn miles on those tickets.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by SpiritofEcstasy
We flew for free for a year on those vouchers in the days of $205 RT transcon fares, and managed to do a couple more VDBs resulting in more vouchers while flying on tix that purchased with Delta's own money.
Flying (and getting credit) on VDB vouchers and getting more VBD vouchers is indeed great - I paid for multiple consecutive RTs to LAS starting with one dollar-value voucher I received last year.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
You guys spying on me?

I have no secrets. PM and I'll tell you all about what I do, where, and why!

Well, it is finished. We were held till the very last minute today for DL27 and told to board the flight at the last second. My in laws ended up getting on too as pass riders. That was a bit of a surprise but we did not ask any questions. They were up front and we were together in row 16, 17, and 18. I'm now trying to get to DFW for a meeting I'm three days late for. Luckily, those waiting on me are MR folks and game players the same as I am/you are so no problem at all.

The ground staff at FRA was kinda sad to see us go I think. They were hoping they could pull us one more time for another $5k but enough is enough. They did tell us to come back around Christmas and try again.

So, that is that. Not sure what we'll do yet but Phoenix at Christmas to see family sounds like a winner....Spain with my wife in November could work and so could a handful of other fun family outings.

Thanks to you all for following along with our story. May $10k be in all of your futures!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Great story. Thanks for sharing and opening minds to creative travel!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by OHDL1
It was interesting to Google name and see what took them to the Russian Republic.
What did you google and how do you know it is woody?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by lls138
What did you google and how do you know it is woody?
I'll answer both you and WBurcham....I work for Comair..and it's not hard to find a party of five on DL27 and go from there. A Google of name....voila. I didn't mention the name soooo...I don't think I'm doin' anything wrong. Just for my own information.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Originally Posted by woody125
I have no secrets. PM and I'll tell you all about what I do, where, and why!
Well, you do only have 12 months to spend that $10k, so maybe we're all just wanting to join you for the Woody125 sponsored 2008 Christmas FRAVDB-DO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.