Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA-CVG ($1500) vs. LGA-CVG-DAY ($400) !?!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

LGA-CVG ($1500) vs. LGA-CVG-DAY ($400) !?!?

I was searching fares for this coming weekend, with the above result. So, I went with the LGA-CVG-DAY flights.

I have to be at a hotel that's slightly closer to CVG than DAY. Will my itinerary be intact if I just don't get on the DAY flight? Also, on the way back, can I drive directly to CVG and not bother getting on the 63 mile flight in DAY?

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by mki303
I was searching fares for this coming weekend, with the above result. So, I went with the LGA-CVG-DAY flights.

I have to be at a hotel that's slightly closer to CVG than DAY. Will my itinerary be intact if I just don't get on the DAY flight? Also, on the way back, can I drive directly to CVG and not bother getting on the 63 mile flight in DAY?

Thanks.
This is old news. DL has been doing this kind of stuff for a long time.

If you miss the CVG-DAY flight, the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled. If you fly to DAY, but then miss the DAY-CVG flight, your CVG-LGA flight will be cancelled. In other words, don't miss any of your flights.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
In other words, don't miss any of your flights.
Exactly. CVG is the most expensive airport in the USA because of the lack of competition to DL.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta, Air France
Exactly. This is why I haven't flown out of CVG in over 2 years.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Very old news. For at least two years I've been flying to DAY instead of CVG. There have been many morning flying DAY-CVG-LGA where I've had to run to catch my connecting flight and the flight crew for my next flight is taking their time getting from terminal c to terminal b.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Perhaps It's a Fuel Surcharge?

It is cases like these that make me really scratch my head when DL adds a "Fuel Surcharge" to my ticket fee, after all, it is the fuel that is making is so expensive to operate. Perhaps my mind is just too simple to understand these great complexities , but doesn't it take more fuel to fly that extra leg?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:44 pm

No chance that it is a fuel surcharge. This pricing pattern long pre-dates fuel surcharges. I used to live in DAY and I'm not sure I ever sat next to anyone who had not drive up from CVG because of the huge price differential. And that was when oil was pennies compared to what it is now. CVG fliers just get screwed. As someone else said, it is quite literally the most expensive airport in the country.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Welcome to my world my friend. The only flights where CVG is cheaper to depart from than DAY/IND/CMH/SDF/LEX are international flights - where I STILL transfer in ATL. It's pretty ridiculous but it's been that way for at least 10 years.

The commute isn't that bad though. DAY to downtown Cincinnati is about a 55-75 minute drive depending on time of day and how fast you like to drive.

Cop spots in I-75 South are historically
-at the bridge at Exit 43,
-all around Exit 38,
-at the Big Butter Jesus just before Exit 29,
-cresting the hill after the rest areas,
-Right before Exit 19,
-between mile markers 16-13.

Driving rules around here are basically "don't be conspicuous and you won't get pulled over." That rule does not apply between posts 16-13, just don't speed there.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by samikitty
Perhaps my mind is just too simple to understand these great complexities , but doesn't it take more fuel to fly that extra leg?
Is it really that hard to figure out that cost has little to do with price? In this it's about market and competition (or lack thereof). Regardless of the price of fuel, if you could get people to pay more for a nonstop flight, wouldn't you do that?

Originally Posted by Telfes
No chance that it is a fuel surcharge. This pricing pattern long pre-dates fuel surcharges. I used to live in DAY and I'm not sure I ever sat next to anyone who had not drive up from CVG because of the huge price differential. And that was when oil was pennies compared to what it is now. CVG fliers just get screwed. As someone else said, it is quite literally the most expensive airport in the country.
I will admit that I have been shifting back to IND more and more. BUT, I absolutely will pay substantially more to fly out of CVG...and many more will. Delta tried to lower the fares they found out that they were under the market price. Airport after airport after airport, airlines are losing their rear. In they happen to make money on a few...that is a really good thing.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Don't worry, CVG flyers. After the merger, CVG will be de-hubbed (regardless of what DL says), all of the international flights will disappear, Concourse B will become a ghost town and DL's most profitable airport will just be a fond memory.

But on the bright side, the air fares will drop significantly and those addicted to DL will then have the opportunity to see if there are any greener pastures out there.

And I don't give a dern about what you Wharton MBA's say...it is just simply stupid for DL to make you take 5 legs for $800.00 less than what two legs out of CVG cost, as I just did last week. Reminds me of the sales guy who said..."we may lose money per unit, but we will make it up on the volume".
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by photojojo
Cop spots in I-75 South are historically
-at the bridge at Exit 43,
-all around Exit 38,
-at the Big Butter Jesus just before Exit 29,
-cresting the hill after the rest areas,
-Right before Exit 19,
-between mile markers 16-13.
That's useful! ^ And indeed, I saw someone nailed somewhere between 13 & 16 just yesterday when I was through there!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Feather Man
Don't worry, CVG flyers. After the merger, CVG will be de-hubbed (regardless of what DL says), all of the international flights will disappear, Concourse B will become a ghost town and DL's most profitable airport will just be a fond memory.

But on the bright side, the air fares will drop significantly and those addicted to DL will then have the opportunity to see if there are any greener pastures out there.
I have often said that people based in SDF, IND, and DAY don't know how lucky they have it on price. People based in CVG don't know how lucky they have it based upon non-stop service.

I agree that CVG will likely be dehubbed by the fact that it is DLs most profitable airport could save it.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
This is pretty common. I used to fly into LEX or SDF on a regular basis, saving as much as $800 per round trip.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: Skymiles, Hilton HHoners, Marriott Rewards
Try one way flights then you can miss youe CVG-DAY flight.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta, Air France
Hi, newbusflyer -- That's exactly what we do, buy one-ways, have no bags, make sure that there is a metal change in CVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.