Wiki Posts
Search

Another Mess in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles, Hilton HHoners, Marriott Rewards
Another Mess in ATL

Wow. A little storm and you would think it was armageddon. 5 hour delay. I asked very nicely if the CRC lady would let me in (I am PM) and she was not even nice about saying no.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Yes it has been a mess and started mid morning. There has been GDP's just about all day long. Expect delays tomorrow morning with crew rests and possible rollover cancellations.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by newbusflyer
Wow. A little storm and you would think it was armageddon. 5 hour delay. I asked very nicely if the CRC lady would let me in (I am PM) and she was not even nice about saying no.
Why would you expect them to let you in without paying? There are probably a thousand other PMs in the ATL airport during most delays.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I asked very nicely if the CRC lady would let me in (I am PM) and she was not even nice about saying no.
You could have checked the CRC Meeting thread or bought a Day Pass.

From what I've seen it has been persistant storms.
Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving The William B Hartsfield International Airport, Atlanta, GA (ATL). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 2 hours and 48 minutes.
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaa...p?ARPT=ATL&p=0
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Probably wouldn't have been very pleasant anyway - I flew into DCA about 4:30 and went to the CRC to wait for my ride and kill a few minutes...wall to wall ATL delayed folks packing every square inch. I circled once, didn't even grab a drink, and went back out the door. Can't imagine what the ATL clubs are like.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by ColumbiaPete
Probably wouldn't have been very pleasant anyway - I flew into DCA about 4:30 and went to the CRC to wait for my ride and kill a few minutes...wall to wall ATL delayed folks packing every square inch. I circled once, didn't even grab a drink, and went back out the door. Can't imagine what the ATL clubs are like.
Finding peace and quiet in ATL clubs is difficult. Assuming there's an open chair, you'll to need to ask a stranger to save it before you grab a newspaper or check the screen. And the noise level can exceed that of concourses. Refuges, they are not.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:12 am

A question:

I have flights booked from SNN (Shannon Ireland) - ATL - SAN at then end of the month. Thunderstorms seem to be a reoccuring theme at ATL at this time of year. When I orginally booked I had a 4 hour stopover in ATL, however Delta changed my flights and I now have a 2 hour stopover. If my flight into ATL is delayed because of storms etc and I miss my connecting flight, will Delta rebook me on the next flight (providing there are seats available)?

Thanks,
Mel.b
Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
Yes, they will rebook you - but depending upon how popular your final destination is and your DL status might impact whether you get the next flight in 2 hours or the next flight on the next day!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by mel.b
Thunderstorms seem to be a reoccuring theme at ATL at this time of year.
Yes. Here in the South we call this weather pattern "Summer." Happens every year about this time.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:21 am

Went through this mess yesterday. My 12:37pm flight from Albany NY to ATL boarded at 12:20pm. Just as we reached the runway, ATC put us on a ground hold. After about 90 mins, we came back to the gate. Got on board about an hour later, went through another hold, came back to the gate. Finally took off at 5:45pm.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Plat
My flight from ORD-ATL took 7 hours. We spent a lot of it on the tarmac. We did go back to the gate to re-fuel once and let pax deplane if they so desired. I will say that the crew did a great job of keeping everyone informed. Then I got on my 8:00pm ATL-CLT flight that didn't take off until around 10pm. And, of course my luggage didn't arrive with me. Needless to say, it was a very long day....glad I'm home.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Yes. Here in the South we call this weather pattern "Summer." Happens every year about this time.
LOL Unfortunately we're not experiencing too much of that weather pattern called summer here in SNN at the moment
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
The problem was not just a single storm but several that unlike "normal" 1 to 2 hour summer thunder storms down here in the south, was pretty much an all day event. The storms kept coming in waves and when accompanied by lightning there is a mandatory safety shutdown on the tarmac which in turn brings everything to a complete stop. I started yesterday in Panama City, Fl at 12:30pm and got to Atlanta at 7:15pm, a few minutes after my flight (ASA) started deplaning they shut the airport down for the 2nd time due to the lighting and heavy rain (thank the gods for seat 16B on the ATR!). After about 30 minutes it reopened. My connecting flight boarded at 9:30 (originally scheduled for 6:30pm) and again just 2 minutes after it started another (the 3rd) ground stop occurred because of the lightning and heavy rain. We finally touched down at 12:05am in Orlando and I arrived home at 1am
With over 20 years of flying through ATL under my belt this was pretty much the worse I have ever seen it, Kudos to all the Delta people though for doing a great job with this mess.^
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
in the north, we call it "construction"
Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Re: Shannon -> ATL -> SAN with 2 hour layover

Originally Posted by mel.b
A question:

I have flights booked from SNN (Shannon Ireland) - ATL - SAN at then end of the month. Thunderstorms seem to be a reoccuring theme at ATL at this time of year. When I orginally booked I had a 4 hour stopover in ATL, however Delta changed my flights and I now have a 2 hour stopover. If my flight into ATL is delayed because of storms etc and I miss my connecting flight, will Delta rebook me on the next flight (providing there are seats available)?

Thanks,
Mel.b
This is somewhat tight. You will have to clear imegration, custums, and re-security. You will probably make the flight if no weather delay, but perhaps closer than you think.

Typically, ATL is a crapshoot in the late afternoon untill about the end of August.

If you wan't to try and rebook, tell the agent that the delta reschedule caused the issue. It helps alot on overriding various rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.