Maximum Permitted Mileage Accrual Question

Old Jul 20, 08, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Maximum Permitted Mileage Accrual Question

I've been pricing out tix from LA to Bangkok on DL.com recently. Some of the routings on offer are a little funny: LAX-ATL-ICN-BKK or LAX-JFK-ICN-BKK on DL/KE codeshares.

I've heard that some FF programs limit the amount of mileage you can accrue between to city pairs, regardless of the route actually flown.

Does DL do this for SkyMiles?

Where can I find the rules and the maximum permitted mileage?

Would routing through ATL or JFK exceed the maximum for LAX-BKK, such that I'd accrue less than the mileage flown?
Old Jul 20, 08, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Of all my flying, I've never heard of a limit on miles for a city pair. Many of us have done Mileage Runs and never had issues.
Old Jul 20, 08, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

The following appears on DL.com re mileage accrual, but it doesn't appear to address the Maximum Permitted Mileage issue.

Originally Posted by Delta
On connecting flights that require a change of plane and flight number, mileage credited will be calculated based upon the distance from origin to destination for each segment of the trip. However, use of connecting itineraries in lieu of nonstop and/or direct flights for the accumulation of additional mileage is not permitted. Delta reserves the right to limit mileage credit for an itinerary to the number of connecting flights actually traveled or the maximum number of segments shown in Delta's published schedule for a connection between any two cities, whichever is less.
This rule does not appear to apply to this situation, since DL doesn't not have any nonstop or direct flights LAX-BKK (yet-- after the NW merger, they might). And since this is an itinerary in the published schedule-- you can book it on DL.com-- it should be okay on the last part of the rule too. But the rule is strangely worded: it refers to limited mileage accrual to the number of permitted segments.
Old Jul 20, 08, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Well I've flown ORF-JFK via LAX and ATL before without issue. I got full miles and never any issue.
Old Jul 20, 08, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
I've been pricing out tix from LA to Bangkok on DL.com recently. Some of the routings on offer are a little funny: LAX-ATL-ICN-BKK or LAX-JFK-ICN-BKK on DL/KE codeshares.

I've heard that some FF programs limit the amount of mileage you can accrue between to city pairs, regardless of the route actually flown.

Does DL do this for SkyMiles?

Where can I find the rules and the maximum permitted mileage?

Would routing through ATL or JFK exceed the maximum for LAX-BKK, such that I'd accrue less than the mileage flown?
I've only ever seen that on RTW tickets. On those RTW tix, I'm not sure it is a limit on accrual or on miles traveled.
Old Jul 20, 08, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Maybe OP is talking about those "thru" flights that have a one stop but are considered non-stop?
Old Jul 20, 08, 5:56 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Just make sure that you have different flight numbers....if it's the same flight number say from ATL-ICN-BKK, you'll only get the direct number of miles as if it was a non-stop flight. Otherwise shouldn't be a problem
Old Jul 20, 08, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by amps View Post
Maybe OP is talking about those "thru" flights that have a one stop but are considered non-stop?
They are considered and marketed as "direct" flights. If it is a single flight number - regardless of whether it is a single aircraft or change of plane - you only get the miles for the non-stop distance. For some routes, such as ATL-BOM/ATL-JFK-BOM the difference is minimal. For FLL-TLV/FLL-JFK-TLV the difference is a couple hundred miles. And for LAX-TLV/LAX-ATL-TLV the difference is ~10%, or 750 miles.

The other part of the rule is a bit that DL's revenue management put in that allows them to limit the number of miles credited if you take a circuitous routing to reach your destination. I'm not sure that they've ever actually enforced the rule, but they do keep it on the books.
Old Jul 21, 08, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Not talking about single-flight-number direct flights. I know what that rule is, and it doesn't apply. The LAX-ATL, ATL-ICN, ICN-BKK flights are all different flight numbers.

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
The other part of the rule is a bit that DL's revenue management put in that allows them to limit the number of miles credited if you take a circuitous routing to reach your destination. I'm not sure that they've ever actually enforced the rule, but they do keep it on the books.
That's what I'm wondering about. To me, it's a bit strange to "backtrack" or "fly the wrong way" to ATL only to turn around and fly to Korea and Thailand, despite multiple LAX-ICN flights. But I suppose it's not all that circuitous a routing. Not like the famous FTer who was flying all the way around the US before going to Germany, only to get stopped in Orlando and interrogated by the authorities. And I suppose declaring Maximum Permitted Mileage for every city pair in Delta's network then monitoring that against actual flights flown would be a real PITA and administrative headache for little real benefit to DL. The common-sense view from DL's side, as it is from my side, may well be that if DL was willing to sell me a ticket with this routing, it should give me the mileage actually flown (subject to the same-flight-number rule, which, again, doesn't apply).

Thanks for the responses. Any additional information is welcome.

Search this Thread