Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Evil Cycle: PM -> Many Miles -> Award Flights -> GM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/MM

Made PM for the first time last year but between the 100% bonus and the credit cards, have gone to well over 300K miles in about 2 years. So then I have to burn those miles ... resulting in not enough MQMs to barely make GM for the next year. At which time I have to fly real revenue miles to get back to PM and then start the cycle all over.

It's evil, I say!
Old Jul 18, 2008, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I unfortunately don't have time to burn miles. I did send the ex-girlfriend's family to San Juan in F last year and that burned some miles, but I'm now back at 300,000+ miles. What you could do is use the miles for upgrades or CRC memberships.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL PM .313 MM & CRC, AA .453 MM, HH Silver, Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I unfortunately don't have time to burn miles. I did send the ex-girlfriend's family to San Juan in F last year and that burned some miles, but I'm now back at 300,000+ miles. What you could do is use the miles for upgrades or CRC memberships.
I'm in the same boat as Pharaoh. Here's my SM account summary:

Mr. SpiritofEcstasy
Membership Level: Gold Medallion
Medallion® Qualification Miles (Year to date): 69286
Current SkyMiles Mileage Balance 660537
Million Miler™ Miles 275040

I'm going to go PM any day now thanks to the Double MQM promotion and the SM Platinum Amex. The miles shown above are after a 112,500 mile deduction for a December roundtrip to HNL in F on DL. All my flying is domestic, usually with one paid trip to Hawaii each year, so normally, I need all the MQMs I can get. My only practical use for miles is to upgrade (30K) on that paid ticket. Maybe I need to look at using some for a CRC membership.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Upgrades, definite possibility, except I usually fly on LUT fares, and the complimentary upgrades are working out well (see box score). CRC simply doesn't work for me because, as a leisure flyer, I rarely have to burn a lot of time in a lounge.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM .313 MM & CRC, AA .453 MM, HH Silver, Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
Just did a little research on the issue. A CRC membership for my +1 and me is $450 or 60,000 miles once I turn PM, plus the $50 or 10,000 miles initiation fee. That's a value of .71 cents per mile, which is pretty low, but those miles aren't doing me a lot of good otherwise.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...fees/index.jsp
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

Originally Posted by SpiritofEcstasy
Just did a little research on the issue. A CRC membership for my +1 and me is $450 or 60,000 miles once I turn PM, plus the $50 or 10,000 miles initiation fee. That's a value of .71 cents per mile, which is pretty low, but those miles aren't doing me a lot of good otherwise.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...fees/index.jsp
The initiation fee (dollars or miles) is waived for elites.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Use award tix to fly others, not yourself. It works better if you have kids.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by jbatl
The initiation fee (dollars or miles) is waived for elites.
You are correct, sir!!

I didn't read far enough down into the terms and conditions.

"A new member is someone who has not been a Crown Room Club member in the 6 months prior to enrollment. Medallion members who pay with miles will have the 10,000 mile initiation fee waived.

So, once I turn PM, 60,000 miles will get my CRC membership, at a value of .75 cents per mile.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
Deleted

Last edited by najay; Jul 19, 2008 at 4:37 pm Reason: misread a post
Old Jul 19, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
I look at my FF miles as an insurance policy. They have bailed me out more than once on some expensive last minute tickets for family emergencies.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Don't worry about burning miles. Delta will devalue them for you.
DLP
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by safigan
Use award tix to fly others, not yourself. It works better if you have kids.
That's exactly what I have started to do. Got an award ticket for my 9-year old son; one of the segments only had FC availability... which I didn't tell him in advance. You should have seen the expression on his face when I handed him a BP that said 1A! (It was somewhat of a gamble, actually, as my own ticket was U or T -- but I did get myself successfully upgraded into 1B.) The BP is now hanging on the wall in his room, framed. My best use of 35,000 miles thus far! :-)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:36 am

Uh-oh, Stefan, you're in trouble now! He'll want his own Platinum Amex soon, so he can start spending towards the $25,000/10,000 MQM bonus, and he's gonna insist on being booked in Y/B/M fares so he can get the 150% MQMs earned and make FO/GM/PM on his own! I don't think I ever flew F until I was over 30. I can't imagine how upgrade-mad I would be if I'd started at 9!!!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta PM
I'm in the same situation, but sitting at 30K MQMs and not sure whether to go for gold. Also not sure if I can actually book a SkySaver trip to Hawaii before 2010 with the miles I do have
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
More than impacting my airline status, the frequent use of award travel hits my hotel status since I use award tickets to cut down on my nights staying at hotels.

It would be nice if airlines considered award travel toward status just like at least one hotel chain considers award stays toward status. Short of that happening, glad to have found out that there's at least one non-airline program where award flights can be used toward earning some loyalty program points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.