Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Int'l to Int'l Connections (through ATL) - baggage? - connecting time?

Old Jul 13, 08, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

Next week, I'll be flying YUL-ATL ATL-MEX MEX-GDL
and I'm looking to gather as much info on my connection in Atlanta.
That is, I only have 1 hour between the two flights (arrival @ 8:46am, departure @ 9:46am)

I've heard lots of things about Altanta airport being prone to major delays, so I want to know everything I have to do between the two flights, especially that I've never flown into the US, and frankly, the whole TSA situation scares me, LOL

So, for such a situation, will I have to claim my baggage and re-check it?
what kind of security/immigration checkpoints will I have to go through?
Mainly, should 1 hour be enough to make the connection? Delta has assured me it is...but I'm not so sure...

major thanks for the help guys!
Old Jul 13, 08, 10:43 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Gabriel-CA, I've edited slightly your thread title and let me seek help from the readers of our Delta SkyMiles forum, as your itinerary seems to be heavily or entirely based on DL flights. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 13, 08, 11:00 am

Programs: DL-DM/ 2MM
Wink

Your flight arrives into terminal D at ATL, which means you will pre-clear customs and immigration at YUL, and will not need to do so again in ATL. Your flight leaves from terminal E, which is a very short walk from D, so your gate to gate time will be about 15 minutes. I assume baggage can be checked through, but I have no knowledge of that aspect. So your interaction with the TSA will be minimal . One hour is the absolute minimum time I would allow for this connection, but it is acceptable.
Old Jul 13, 08, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, B6 TrueBluel
Originally Posted by geoflyer View Post
Your flight arrives into terminal D at ATL, which means you will pre-clear customs and immigration at YUL, and will not need to do so again in ATL. Your flight leaves from terminal E, which is a very short walk from D, so your gate to gate time will be about 15 minutes. I assume baggage can be checked through, but I have no knowledge of that aspect. So your interaction with the TSA will be minimal . One hour is the absolute minimum time I would allow for this connection, but it is acceptable.
geoflyer is correct. Since you have pre-cleared US customs at YUL, your flight YUL-ATL will be treated as a domestic flight. You will not need to reclear security in ATL (as long as you don't exit the airside area) and your luggage will be checked through to Mexico. 60 minutes should be fine for what is essentially a domestic-to-domestic connection.
Old Jul 13, 08, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Smile

thank you for the reassuring info!
I'll be way more relaxed cruising in one of delta's lovely CRJs

I'm curious, do you guys know this from experience? I'm amazed at the resourcefulness of folks on this forum!
Having just turned 20, I'm looking forward to the many many flights ahead of me

cheers guys!
Old Jul 13, 08, 11:04 pm

for future reference- when flying out of YUL and most other Canadian Airports to the United States..... you clear us immigration formalities prior to boardinf your flight.... of course, this means you need to get to the airport much earlier than a domestic flight, expecially during peak season.
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Your bags must go through TSA will have rescreened after you landed in ATL. You don't need go to customs & Immigrations in ATL. You will continuation during your journey to MEX. You already exact will go through Customs & Immigration in YUL. Because TSA will have rescreened the bags will ongoing next available flight out of ATL. If your bags doesn't make it in MEX. You must to reports with DL agents immediately. It's responsibility your bags will not be losts when you were arrived by final destination cities. Good luck for your trip to MEX.
Old Jul 14, 08, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

muchas gracias companeros! ;P

Search this Thread