Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a suit bag a "personal item"?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Is a suit bag a "personal item"?

Can I take a "carry-on size" roller bag along with a hanging "suit" bag on the plane tomorrow? I am flying in F on a 757, so they will probably let me hang the suit bag in the closet, like usual, right?

Just wanted to make sure no big changes have occurred since I flew DL last back in Jan.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum, Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond
Yes, and they will hang it for you up front. You should try and board as early as possible.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
There should be no problems.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by doug93063
Yes, and they will hang it for you up front. You should try and board as early as possible.
Thanks, they did last year, but as I said, haven't flown DL since January. I'm in Zone 1, so I'll be on as one of the first.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:06 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
Technically, a suit bag is not considered a personal item. It's considered as your carry on bag....that doesn't mean the gate agent would stop you though.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First
As long as the suit bag does not contain a suit of armour, you should be fine. Happy travels.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by csgoalie
As long as the suit bag does not contain a suit of armour, you should be fine. Happy travels.
Ba dum, bum.

Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:46 pm

I once had a carry-on suitcase and a suit bag with me. As I was boarding, the gate agent challenged me on the suit bag, whether it would fit in the "sizewise" box or not. It may have been an inch or two too wide, but it easily crunched into space if it was too big, so I just said it fit.

Ironically enough, the flight only had maybe a 20% load factor ... it was delayed 7 hours due to mechanical and didn't depart until about 1 am. Most of the other passengers had already been rebooked or put up in hotels for the night. No clue why she was so concerned about that with such a low load factor...
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
I once had a carry-on suitcase and a suit bag with me. As I was boarding, the gate agent challenged me on the suit bag, whether it would fit in the "sizewise" box or not. It may have been an inch or two too wide, but it easily crunched into space if it was too big, so I just said it fit.

Ironically enough, the flight only had maybe a 20% load factor ... it was delayed 7 hours due to mechanical and didn't depart until about 1 am. Most of the other passengers had already been rebooked or put up in hotels for the night. No clue why she was so concerned about that with such a low load factor...
Thanks for the story. I'll be sure to make sure I squish it in if necessary!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 5:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First
No clue why she was so concerned about that with such a low load factor...

Allegedly, the FAA audits them and the airline gets a fine if they allow pax on with more than the limit. Allegedly.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 6:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Thanks for the story. I'll be sure to make sure I squish it in if necessary!
Just for the record, I've had a gate agent at CVG refuse to allow "squishing", and forcing me to check a suit bag as a result. She stated it had to fit as-is, and had to slide in without touching the sides. I have not had a problem either there or anywhere else since, but you may have to be prepared to argue.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I had a most unpleasant experience once, travelling in F through LAS, when I had my suit jacket on a hanger in a plastic suit bag. (In addition to my rolling bag and computer bag, which were stacked on top of each other.)

Clearly, as a F passenger, I'm entitled to space in the closet and that's exactly where my hanging bag was headed. But as I boarded, the gate agent loudly stopped me and proceeded to berate me for trying to carry more than the standard one-bag-one-personal-item.

I tried to reason with her that it would be hanging in the F closet, but it just made me look like a chump. I ended up having to squish the hanging bag into my roll-a-board, crushing the contents in the process. As soon as I boarded, out came the hanging bag and it went right into the closet.

They love to claim they'll be "fined" personally by the FAA if caught by an undercover inspector. I have yet to see the federal regulations mandating a carryon allowance.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
I had a most unpleasant experience once, travelling in F through LAS, when I had my suit jacket on a hanger in a plastic suit bag. (In addition to my rolling bag and computer bag, which were stacked on top of each other.)

Clearly, as a F passenger, I'm entitled to space in the closet and that's exactly where my hanging bag was headed. But as I boarded, the gate agent loudly stopped me and proceeded to berate me for trying to carry more than the standard one-bag-one-personal-item.

I tried to reason with her that it would be hanging in the F closet, but it just made me look like a chump. I ended up having to squish the hanging bag into my roll-a-board, crushing the contents in the process. As soon as I boarded, out came the hanging bag and it went right into the closet.

They love to claim they'll be "fined" personally by the FAA if caught by an undercover inspector. I have yet to see the federal regulations mandating a carryon allowance.
I would have put the jacket on and packed the hanger/bag... then once on the plane unpacked and had the FA hang it as originally planned. I also would have likely told the GA exactly what I was doing so he/she would see how absolutely idiotic they were for calling you out... it's a jacket going into the F closet... regardless of if it has a slip around it and is already on a hanger or not, it's going to take up the same amount of space. Some front line employees inability to think things through logically really bothers me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.