ATL just closed

Old Jul 10, 08, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
ATL just closed

My wife and kids are coming home to me in DC on Delta from ATL-DCA today ... just got the call that the airport is closed due to weather. All flights have been diverted (the flight coming in from ABQ just went to Birmingham).

Ugh.
Old Jul 10, 08, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Well of course it's closed. It's Thursday! the day all the consultants are trying to get home
Old Jul 10, 08, 1:09 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
I am currently about 20 miles south of ATL airport and I can easily see why its closed. What a thunderstorm and unbelievable amount of rain down here....
Old Jul 10, 08, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM,CRC, AA,CO,HHonors Diamond,Marriott Platinum,Priority Club Platinum
BHM is getting a thunderstorm now, so I don't know about diverting flights here
Old Jul 10, 08, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
I know I was driving home from ATL yesterday and got hammered by T-storms. Today is an even better chance of those nasty T-storms. We need the rain anytime however!
Old Jul 10, 08, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Looking at the ATC monitor, there are a ton of a/c on the radar. Planes being dirverted to AGS, CLT, GSP and a lot of other airports especially if they are low on fuel.
Old Jul 10, 08, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by berlinflyer View Post
I am currently about 20 miles south of ATL airport and I can easily see why its closed. What a thunderstorm and unbelievable amount of rain down here....
Here in Orlando we call that "summer". Hope everyone is safe.
Old Jul 10, 08, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I was on DL 1212 from LAX. We were one of the last planes to land before the line of storms came through. There was lots of thunder and lightning with very heavy rain and pea-sized hail. We sat for ~20 before crews could come out and get us into our gate.

Good luck to everybody today.
Old Jul 10, 08, 1:52 pm
In Memoriam

from the looks of radar on noaa; it's gonna be a long afternoon and evening...

although looking at the air traffic, it isn't completely closed....
Old Jul 10, 08, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Of course now my flight to BTR is cancelled. So I get to spend my evening in the "original" E CRC. (Which by the way has a decent selection of food including cold cuts, real cheese and crackers, cupcakes, chicken salad and a few other things).

EDIT:

4:07 PM flight was delayed then Cancelled
New 6:30 PM flight is now delayed until 8:55 PM
Standby on the 8:00 PM flight wasn't delayed, now 9:49 PM

What a mess.

Last edited by AndyTLe; Jul 10, 08 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 10, 08, 3:17 pm

I don't feel so bad that my flight to CHS this AM was XLD due to MX.
Old Jul 10, 08, 3:18 pm

Flightstats lists any FAA delays: ATL Flightstats
Ground Stop - This airport has issued a Ground Stop affecting flights departing to it between Jul 10 5:54 PM UTC and Jul 10 7:30 PM UTC due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS. Flights are being delayed an average of 69.3 minutes.
Ground Delay Program - This airport has issued a Ground Delay Program affecting flights arriving between Jul 10 2:25 PM and Jul 10 10:59 PM due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS. Flights are being delayed an average of 131.8 minutes.
Delay - This airport is experiencing departure delays of 46 to 60 minutes due to Weather:Thunderstorms since Jul 10 4:04 PM.
Old Jul 10, 08, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Uniter View Post
My wife and kids are coming home to me in DC on Delta from ATL-DCA today ... just got the call that the airport is closed due to weather. All flights have been diverted (the flight coming in from ABQ just went to Birmingham).

Ugh.
Wow and this started around 2pm eastern time? That's the time I'm expected in tomorrow... good thing today is not tomorrow. Wait, huh?
Old Jul 10, 08, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Quite glad I was able to get a seat on a BOS-CVG flight today. Looking like an on-time arrival in LAS - makes me a much happier flyer. Good luck to all those stuck in ATL.
Old Jul 10, 08, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Well, my wife's original 2:20 pm to IAD is boarding now for a 5:19 pm departure. Actually not that terrible... if she takes off on time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: