Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Austrailia and Vietnam possibly in Delta's future.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

In a chat with employees today, Glen Hauenstein talked about possible service to Sydney by 2010 and also service to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

Not a lot of details at the moment, but there should be in days to come.

In the time being, what are your thoughts on a possible ATL-SYD flight?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL PM .313 MM & CRC, AA .453 MM, HH Silver, Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by pjpoker
In the time being, what are your thoughts on a possible ATL-SYD flight?
Sign me up!!!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You guys saw the WSJ article on the economics of ultra-long haul flight, right? The costs of burning a lot of fuel to carry a lot of fuel for 15 hour non-stop flight?

If SYD gets on the schedule, here's a prediction it will be operated from LAX, not ATL. A route to Vietnam would almost surely operate from the West Coast.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You guys saw the WSJ article on the economics of ultra-long haul flight, right? The costs of burning a lot of fuel to carry a lot of fuel for 15 hour non-stop flight?

If SYD gets on the schedule, here's a prediction it will be operated from LAX, not ATL. A route to Vietnam would almost surely operate from the West Coast.
How about operating out of SLC? More domestic connection opportunities there with downsizing of LAX-- not to mention the CDG flight has been successful. Also, consider SEA or another NW stronghold.

Just ideas...
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
I would ABSOLUTELY love a LAX-SYD route.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by fabulousflygirl
I would ABSOLUTELY love a LAX-SYD route.
Living in SAN, this would be awesome! But I can imagine absolutely ZERO skysaver awards tickets though.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Wouldn't be shocked if a SEA-SYD flight comes on - NW has been doing a pretty decent buildup at SEA over the past few years - additional NRT frequency, new flights to LHR and BJS, AF has come in with CDG service, and of course AS feed there.

Of course, O&D (which is higher yield) is going to be much better ex-LAX.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by mersk862
Wouldn't be shocked if a SEA-SYD flight comes on - NW has been doing a pretty decent buildup at SEA over the past few years - additional NRT frequency, new flights to LHR and BJS, AF has come in with CDG service, and of course AS feed there.

I think SEA - SYD is a good possibility as well...
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
I think SEA - SYD is a good possibility as well...
No, it will be provided service from SLC or LAX-SYD instead of ATL-SYD nonstop. It will be very tough competitive with QF, UA & V Australia out of LAX. I think it should be done extremely very well by 2010 for which specific routes will be taken in between JFK or ATL-SYD nonstop.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862

I share the feeling. My gut hasbeen that, since the merger was announced, any new TPAC flights would be ex-SEA.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:44 pm
Suspended

I believe that the current USA-Vietnam bilateral restricts access to a single US carrier - UA.

Of course, if UA goes out of business...
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:53 pm

I don't think SLC-SYD is feasible unless you can tack another 3000 feet to one of our runways. Oh, and triple the population of the valley here.

I could definitely see either LAX-SYD or SEA-SYD though. SEA seems to be turning into quite the focus city for NW, and I can only see it growing from here.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:07 pm

The routing of the LAX-SYD flight is just south of Hawaii. On my last nonstop from LAX the plane flew about 25 miles south of the Big Island. If DL could get the route authority, it could do HNL-SYD service with a 767-300 until it had longer range aircraft for a nonstop from the mainland. Until last year Air Canada used the 767-300 to fly Vancouver-HNL-SYD. When they got the new 777s, AC discontinued the HNL-SYD flight, and now fly nonstop from the mainland.

SYD is a big gap in Skyteam from the US. Korea is an option, but that is real round about.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:32 pm

I was on the chat today and Hauenstein did indeed say SYD and Vietnam...

I can guarantee that these routes will be from ATL either using the 772LR, 744, or the new 787 (if the deliveries do indeed come through).

-b-
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL HH
Originally Posted by DLBeno
I was on the chat today and Hauenstein did indeed say SYD and Vietnam...

I can guarantee that these routes will be from ATL either using the 772LR, 744, or the new 787 (if the deliveries do indeed come through).

-b-
That is the best news of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.