Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW news (cuts, bag fee, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL3MM,"Lifetime" GM,FC; Marriott PLT Emeritus; Hertz 5*, Retired USAF Fighter Pilot
NW news (cuts, bag fee, etc.)

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/09/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Job cuts, 1st bag fee, etc. Whoopee!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My guess is DL will incorporate these fees post-merger if they do not move on this before then (which I think is more likely since the other legacy carriers are moving in the same direction).

US announced today that they are pulling all IFE on domestic flights. Hope DL does not follow suit...I love my seatback TV (when it works).

Personally, I don't like the nickel and diming but understand that's it's a necessity and would rather pay for checked luggage (since I rarely check any) and inflight food than have higher fares (which kills my travel budget).

I wonder when airlines are going to start charging a fee for "infant in arms" and pets (I am NOT drawing a parallel between infants and dogs here...each adds weight to the aircraft and represents a revenue opportunity)?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:36 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I wonder when airlines are going to start charging a fee for "infant in arms" and pets (I am NOT drawing a parallel between infants and dogs here...each adds weight to the aircraft and represents a revenue opportunity)?
When I carried my seven pound cat and his five pound soft-sided carrier on a one-way Delta flight over 10 years ago I think they charged like $50 for the privilege of letting him sit under the seat in front of me ... have they since rescinded that fee?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by Beckles
When I carried my seven pound cat and his five pound soft-sided carrier on a one-way Delta flight over 10 years ago I think they charged like $50 for the privilege of letting him sit under the seat in front of me ... have they since rescinded that fee?
Pets As Carry On

Your pet can travel with you in the cabin for a one-way fee of $100 (to be collected at check-in) when traveling within the United States (except Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Pets permitted in the cabin include dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs. Monkeys, pot-bellied pigs, reptiles, frogs, mice, rats, sugar gliders, and spiders are not permitted. The following restrictions apply:

* Your pet must be small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel under the seat directly in front of you. Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight. You must contact Delta Reservations to determine the appropriate kennel size.
* Your pet must remain inside the kennel (with door secured) while in a Delta boarding area (during boarding and deplaning), a Delta airport lounge, and while onboard the aircraft.
* Your pet must be at least 8 weeks old.
* You may not carry on more than one pet.
* Your pet in-cabin counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
* If you're traveling to Hawaii, your pet won't be able to go with you in the cabin, and other restrictions may apply. See Pets to Hawaii for more information.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
My guess is DL will incorporate these fees post-merger if they do not move on this before then (which I think is more likely since the other legacy carriers are moving in the same direction).

US announced today that they are pulling all IFE on domestic flights. Hope DL does not follow suit...I love my seatback TV (when it works).

Personally, I don't like the nickel and diming but understand that's it's a necessity and would rather pay for checked luggage (since I rarely check any) and inflight food than have higher fares (which kills my travel budget).

I also think the fees will be added, though I don't think the nickel and diming is necessary. I think there will be more fees (even fees for carry-on bags...), and I wouldn't be surprised to see a fee for infants. Pets are already fee-d.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Most airlines have had a policy for charging extra for carry on pets for quite some time now. AFAIK the only animals exempt from the charge with some airlines are official companion pets.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by N808DE
Pets As Carry On

Your pet can travel with you in the cabin for a one-way fee of $100 (to be collected at check-in) when traveling within the United States (except Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Pets permitted in the cabin include dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs. Monkeys, pot-bellied pigs, reptiles, frogs, mice, rats, sugar gliders, and spiders are not permitted. The following restrictions apply:
My bad.

Goes to show you how much I lug my cats around the country. They get freaked out if I carry them into another room. I can't even imagine how they would respond to the TSA.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Mercy no!

The fee has since been enhanced to $100.....

David
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
To get back on topic , I looked up the new WP fees. The fuel surcharges are higher than DL.

* Within North America: $25 USD
* Trans-Atlantic: $50 USD
* Trans-Pacific: $100 USD
* Within Asia/South Pacific: $75* USD
* All other itineraries: $50 USD

Their call center fee went up to $25, but is waived for GE and PE.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.