Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Classes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Fare Classes

First off...be gentle with me As long as I have been flying and a PM I guess I should know this but most all my travel is done through my company travel office. I know a Y fare class is unrestricted. But is a B & M class fully refundable/changeable without restrictions as well?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DaChief
But is a B & M class fully refundable/changeable without restrictions as well?

Thanks
Fare rules can change by origin, destination, and point of sale. Read the applicable rules every time. And don't let your corporate TA do something stupid like putting a non-refundable K fare onto your otherwise fully refundable J international ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Helpful unofficial reference page for DL fare classes assembled by a FlyerTalker:
http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm
That site also has NW, CO, AA and UA fare classes.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
But is a B & M class fully refundable/changeable without restrictions as well?
Like 3Cforme said, the answer to your question is going to vary by route.

However, IME, B/M class fares generally are not refundable and do incur a fee for changes.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks for the responses. My problem lies in my corporate web travel booking site with my new job. I only have two options when it comes to booking a coach trip. Unrestricted and lowest available. Then when all the available options come up, they do not list by fare. Every flight shows Class Y for both of these two options. It isn't until you actually book the flights, and go to the Delta website itinerary that you can truly see what fare class you just booked into. I am assuming the only choices I get when I select "unrestricted" are truly "Y" class fares. The only thing i have figured out is to go to the Delta web site and look at the same flights options and see what fares are shown there as available. Not my preferred method and I need to come up with something better as a lot of international travel is coming up.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:56 am

Then when all the available options come up, they do not list by fare. Every flight shows Class Y for both of these two options. It isn't until you actually book the flights, and go to the Delta website itinerary that you can truly see what fare class you just booked into.
Travelocity business?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
In my experience (international) an M is not refundable, but a B is fully refundable. YMMV.

You do have to look at the specific fare rules as I've seen refundable M's and non-refund B's.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbatl
Travelocity business?
Not at all. A MAJOR corporation!!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:08 pm

Not at all. A MAJOR corporation!!
Oh, well, FWIW, my company uses Travelocity and they also show every coach option as Y class.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
My company's website does the same thing - shows all coach as Y when you are selecting flights, but will then show the actual class when you see the page with your itin and price before proceeding to purchase.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bearcat74
My company's website does the same thing - shows all coach as Y when you are selecting flights, but will then show the actual class when you see the page with your itin and price before proceeding to purchase.
Thanks...you are absolutely right. On the last page just before I ticket it. Well, it doesn't exactly show actual fare class but a link to the fare rules is buried in there. Now I just need to figure out how to read them Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 3:23 pm

TNow I just need to figure out how to read them
Not too hard. The first letter of the fare name (designator, basis ... looks like T7NR1M or something similar) is always the booking class.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
We use Expedia Corporate and I see the exact fare classes before I book them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.