FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Cheap A fares aren't working; Is Delta going to axe (some) flights from BWI? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/842953-cheap-fares-arent-working-delta-going-axe-some-flights-bwi.html)

csgoalie Jul 8, 2008 7:35 pm

Cheap A fares aren't working; Is Delta going to axe (some) flights from BWI?

I typically fly DCA, with IAD (yuk) and BWI as my backups. Everytime I fly BWI to ATL in the morning or back late at night, I can buy a super cheap A fare. For example, I am looking at a same day (take note other airlines, no min stay required) trip next week from BWI-ATL-MCO-ATL-BWI, and the fare is coming up $304 r/t booked into A/A/D/A buckets. First class is almost completely open, and Y has much availability.

I can't see how Delta continues to run these routes. No real FC revenues, empty seats in Y.

BeeWeeFlyer Jul 8, 2008 8:27 pm

I've noticed this too lately originating from BWI. The A-fares have been coming up as the cheapest seats available, even when booked 4+ weeks in advance. In my case (BWI-ATL-ABQ-ATL-BWI) the tickets have been quite expensive, $800+. When I inquired with Delta they told me those were the cheapest seats available, cheaper than coach. My company doesn't allow us to book F fares, but I did it anyway in this case since it was cheaper than Y.

When I got on the flight there were at least 2 two in Y that were totally clueless, not even realizing that they had purchased a Y ticket. The whole things seems strange to me. Anyone seeing this at other locations?

mikey1003 Jul 8, 2008 8:27 pm

Competition from Air Tran??

jbatl Jul 8, 2008 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003 (Post 10003666)
Competition from Air Tran??

According to this recent thread, DL is matching FL in front on this route. But, I've been told it's not a sale. These are everyday prices.

ND76 Jul 8, 2008 9:43 pm

BWI Has Significant Military Traffic

BWI's underused international pier E is a gateway for international troop charters. There is significant military traffic on DL (as well as other carriers) to and from BWI.

I would note that every DL flight I've been on in and out of BWI over the last couple of years or so has been at least 98% full.

Global_Hi_Flyer Jul 9, 2008 7:09 am

Originally Posted by ND76 (Post 10004006)
I would note that every DL flight I've been on in and out of BWI over the last couple of years or so has been at least 98% full.

Same here. Upgrades have been a mixed bag. Most of the metal has been 75's.

BWI is far less convenient (to Washington) than the other choices.

It's entirely possible that folks have gotten fed up with the connection in ATL and are taking one of the WN non-stops. Or the reshuffling of the schedule has caused the flight connections to be worse than the other choices.

Or the market has become so price sensitive that folks just aren't flying.... (from my house, it's nearly 100 miles RT to BWI.... with fuel prices where they are, it's more costly to drive all the way up there).

csgoalie Jul 9, 2008 7:56 am

I'm 30 mins from DCA, 30 from IAD and 40 from BWI. I will drive the extra 10 mins each way to pay $100-150 less and be guaranteed F (ok, even if it is an A bucket). This assures this lowly GM an upgrade in and out of ATL.

Global_Hi_Flyer Jul 9, 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by csgoalie (Post 10005785)
I'm 30 mins from DCA, 30 from IAD and 40 from BWI. I will drive the extra 10 mins each way to pay $100-150 less and be guaranteed F (ok, even if it is an A bucket). This assures this lowly GM an upgrade in and out of ATL.

If you're assured an upgrade out of BWI, your GM is better than my PM. I've done OK (well, actually far better than DCA), but I'd not describe it as anything close to "assured".

You're on the north side of the beltway. I'm to the southwest of DC - and work in DC proper. Were it only 10 minutes different, I'd probably do the same as you.