The easiest Caribbean award to get?

Old Jul 8, 08, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

The easiest Caribbean award to get?

What's the easiest route to score with Delta miles?
Tried many different islands and dates, nothing available. It's quite a good deal -
60K for C from the West coast, but just seems to be really hard to get...
Old Jul 8, 08, 7:57 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
A rough idea of your dates would probably yield better advice. Are you trying to go in December? If so, you may be facing a long, uphill battle.

Just in terms of frequency, I'd say NAS would be better than most. You also have partner options. You could get an island hopper from there for pretty cheap to anywhere else in the Bahamas.

Is SJU considered Caribbean? That can't be too tough. I would also try SDQ.

Also, open your mind to Central America. Not quite as popular of a destination for our friends in the Northeast. SJO is fairly open up front.
Old Jul 8, 08, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

No, not December. I've been trying for a while, October, now
I'm trying next Spring, nothing. Bahamas is probably the least
favorite, anything like St Lucia, St Marteen, Aruba, Turks
would be better...
Old Jul 8, 08, 8:18 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Well, you've picked some of the most popular Caribbean destinations with some of the least frequency. DL has daily service to SLU from ATL, 4x/week to SXM, 5x to PLS but it appears to be on Pinnacle. Disclaimer: This is summer frequency, there may be more in the winter/spring, but who knows?

Of those you listed, I'm guessing AUA is the easiest. This may be one of those situations where you may want to broaden your horizons a bit. There are plenty of luxurious, secluded spots in other parts of the Caribbean.

What about STT? A quick check of the calendar shows decent SS avail in March. Of course, this may have no base in reality.

I see that BahamasAir flies to PLS from NAS. I would guess the walkup is pretty reasonable. Just another thought.
Old Jul 8, 08, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Call. The online award search engine is quirky with CO and I don't think they even claim to try for Aeromexico.
Old Jul 9, 08, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Quite a bit of Oct 2008 availability LAX-CUN.

Cancun in October is nothing like Cancun during spring break. If you're burning hotel points, just about every major chain has options there. If you're looking for a quiet getaway without the manufactured resort feel, Playa del Carmen, Half-moon Bay and Akumal Bay are an hour or two ride south and have a quite a few A/I options and condo's for rent. Cozumel is also a short distance from Cancun with plenty of vacation options.

The Caribbean coast of the Yucatan is often overlooked.

Search this Thread