DL manifest question

Old Jul 5, 08, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
DL manifest question

I flew last evening ATL-SFO. There were 20 seats in First.

When I got up halfway through the flight to use the lav, I noticed that the FA was not in the galley and a manifest was taped up to the wall opposite the phone.

Of the 20 of us up front, there were no notations at all next to the names of 17 pax. Two had the designation "FF" next to their name, and I had the notation "GM/SkyTeam Elite".

This surprised me, since on various AA manifests I've seen, virtually the entire First cabin is AAdvantage elite flyers of one level or another. AA also routinely notates whether you are an Admirals Club member, and possibly whether you have upgraded (can't remember).

Am I correct in assuming that the 2 "FF" flyers just have basic frequent flyer membership in SkyMiles, but not elite? Or is that the generic designator for another SkyTeam FF membership? Wouldn't elite status show up? I guess the other 17 either bought First tickets or somehow paid for an upgrade, but didn't even bother to join SkyMiles?

It just seemed odd that I would be the only Silver, Gold or Platinum Medallion member on a major route like that.

In a related vein, on our outbound SFO-ATL last week the FA was taking lunch orders in the most zigzag pattern I've seen since UA and their MP hierarchy mishigas. Does Delta do that, too? If she'd been carrying yarn it would have looked like a game of cat's cradle. I'm guessing it was based on Medallion status since the FA was reading off the manifest and greeting passengers by name. I've come to like AA's level playing field of taking orders from the front on even-numbered flights and from the back on odd-numbered flights. Takes less time and seems like less work for the crew.
Old Jul 5, 08, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Kind of nosy, aren't you?

It IS possible that most of the cabin was actually on ... gasp ... PAID tickets? Sometimes A fares are actually slightly less than full-fare coach.

You don't mention how you happened to be sitting in the FC cabin. Were you there via a purchased ticket? An upgrade?

I do agree, it does seem slightly odd that there wasn't at least one other medallion member among the bunch, but hey, maybe most PMs are too cheap to actually pay to guarantee FC (although in other threads, I've read about PMs actually "buying" their way up the upgrade list, so I'm not sure about THAT theory).

As to the meal thing - I'm rarely on domestic flights with meal service, (and no, the snack basket does not count as a "meal service" so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I recall that they generally work from the front of the cabin to the rear, giving preference to Medallions, to the extent possible. Yes, they do carry the manifest with them so that they can greet passengers by name.
Old Jul 5, 08, 6:23 pm

Programs: Not enough to count anymore
I have not been on a domestic flight that has had meal choice yet due to a change of jobs and the lack of trans-con flying now. I do know from my carribean experience where there are far fewer medallions is that most lead FAs seem to take rev and medallion orders first and then non-revs last. This does not happen everytime but I have seen it more than once.

My PM status did get me the last french toast coming back from SJO once when the final three people to order wanted it (me, a GM, and a non-rev). This was a strange flight as they did not take meal orders ahead of time because of "turbulance" that never came about for the first 45 min.

Oh, and BTW, what DL plane type has 20F? I cannot think of a mainline that only has that number...
Old Jul 5, 08, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
On Delta manifests, it does say your SkyMiles level (Silver/Gold/Platinum/EP), SkyTeam level (Elite/Elite Plus) and Million Miler status. It does not say how you got into the First Class cabin (be it paid fare, upgrade, miles, award ticket, etc.).

On my meal flights since the choices became the norm, it's always been front-to-back (2 flights) or back-to-front (1 flight). No preference to Medallions. I'll see how it goes when I do another F transcon in a few days.
Old Jul 5, 08, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
On Delta manifests, it does say your SkyMiles level (Silver/Gold/Platinum/EP), SkyTeam level (Elite/Elite Plus) and Million Miler status. It does not say how you got into the First Class cabin (be it paid fare, upgrade, miles, award ticket, etc.).
It also indicates which pax are non-revs.
Old Jul 5, 08, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
On all my flights lately meal choices seem to always be taken front to back. I have yet to see them being taken by medallion status.
Old Jul 5, 08, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by fabulousflygirl View Post
On all my flights lately meal choices seem to always be taken front to back. I have yet to see them being taken by medallion status.
Same here. I have had the F FA zig zag to greet Medallions first and take drink orders in that manner. Food has been front to back service.
Old Jul 5, 08, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
It also indicates which pax are non-revs.
Makes sense. I know that in general non-revs are supposed to get last choice of meals (but then again, at least on the domestic flights which are pretty much all my travel, I can only recall 2 flights that had NRSAs in First - one of which happened to be a friend of mine - I got my Medallion upgrade and she cleared for a F seat, which was right next to mine).
Old Jul 5, 08, 10:45 pm

Programs: Not enough to count anymore

On my meal flights since the choices became the norm, it's always been front-to-back (2 flights) or back-to-front (1 flight). No preference to Medallions. I'll see how it goes when I do another F transcon in a few days.
From my personal experience with my travel companion coming back to SJO as well as a last min equip change to an all Y 738 when they were around, the flight manifest also shows invol upgrades (op-ups) and downgrades. This is marked with a * by the name of the pax involved.

My travel companion made FO after the 1st segment of a 4 segment journey to SJO and b/c it was mid trip, her record could not be updated by SMS or customer care to reflect her new status to get on the upgrade list. She was upgraded both flights at the gate by a supervisor in ATL and the station mgr in SJO via invol upgrade and she had a star by her name on both manifests.
Old Jul 6, 08, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

Right. I totally agree. I've never had the FAs go in a special order around the cabin. They usually start at row 1 and go back.

I'm doing SAN-ATL in F on Friday, so I'll see it again then.

Also, I love that the FAs don't know if we paid, used miles, or received the complimentary upgrade too. DL's attempt at "equal treatment", I guess.
Old Jul 6, 08, 4:42 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond, Delta Reserve, HHonors Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I was on a MCO-SLC flight back in April and asked the FA if the "paperwork" showed status. I was travelling with a FO. The FA showed me the manifest, but it did not indicate any FO status passengers (only GM and above).

Is this normal?
Old Jul 6, 08, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by brown069 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I was on a MCO-SLC flight back in April and asked the FA if the "paperwork" showed status. I was travelling with a FO. The FA showed me the manifest, but it did not indicate any FO status passengers (only GM and above).

Is this normal?

Yes it is.
Old Jul 6, 08, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USCGamecock View Post
Yes it is.
When did that happen? Last I saw a manifest, it did designate Silvers...
Old Jul 6, 08, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by brown069 View Post

Is this normal?
The last one I saw showed "FO".
Old Jul 6, 08, 5:52 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond, Delta Reserve, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT View Post
The last one I saw showed "FO".
The FA didn't even know what FO was when I asked her. She thought "First Officer." She was a 10-year SLC-based veteran, too. I would think they would designate all status passengers. Perhaps a GA has to click on what fields to include and just missed FO for this flight??

Search this Thread