Wiki Posts
Search

Morbid Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Morbid Question

When we complete our next international flight we will have nearly 200,000 ff miles. I know that does not seem like many miles to those of you who have millions of miles, but it seems like lots of miles to us. What happens to those miles if one of us should die? Could they be transferred to the surviving spouse? How would DL even know if the person who was transferring the miles was dead or alive?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by flyingfran
When we complete our next international flight we will have nearly 200,000 ff miles. I know that does not seem like many miles to those of you who have millions of miles, but it seems like lots of miles to us. What happens to those miles if one of us should die? Could they be transferred to the surviving spouse? How would DL even know if the person who was transferring the miles was dead or alive?
It varies by the airline. There was actually a thread regarding this sometime back. While I am not sure on DL specifically, most airlines merely require a copy of the death certificate and some other minor paperwork, then they will be happy to do the transfer. Someone on here will help you more specifically with DL.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile Silver
I have not actually had to request a transfer of skymiles from DL, but I have from USAir and United (for deceased clients), it can usually be done and it doesn't necessarily have to be to a surviving spouse as there isn't always one. I found this
http://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/affidavit.pdf

on DL's website and it sounds like you need to either be the executor or administrator of an estate or have proof that there is no probate estate but that you are the heir.

On another note, I have easily received a refund of a nonrefundable ticket from DL when someone has died -- just a letter with the proper proof (i.e., death certificate) and within 2 weeks a check for the full amount. Very easy and smooth process in a not so easy situation.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: DL- Gazillion Miler, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-DI, Motel 6-Quickie Elite
Cool

Psst. So how you plan on gettin' rid of him ?

Last edited by grodem; Jun 25, 2008 at 6:40 am
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by grodem
Psst. So how you plan on gettin' rid of him ?

Welcome to FT grodem. Funny first post - but it fits right in with the thread topic.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:29 am

Programs: DL- Gazillion Miler, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-DI, Motel 6-Quickie Elite
Thumbs up

Thank You. Lots of interesting info here.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:04 am

You can also just log in to the deceased person's account and redeem miles directly from there.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mtparadis
You can also just log in to the deceased person's account and redeem miles directly from there.
I agree that this would be the easiest. Just know each other's account number and PIN.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I agree that this would be the easiest. Just know each other's account number and PIN.
It would be easiest, but you probably wouldn't maximize your miles. At some point you'd end up with an amount of miles so small that you can't redeem for anything. If you don't transfer them, you waste them. And if you wait until then to send DL the paperwork, they may ask why you waited so long to ask to transfer the miles and why you were redeeming from a dead person's account. You'd probably be able to convince them there was nothing wrong...but it'd be an even bigger headache.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.