Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cancel company purchased tix, rebook skysaver - keep eCredit

Cancel company purchased tix, rebook skysaver - keep eCredit

Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by TexARN
I did some research and came up with an idea, and need help calculating the risk. )
What about the risk of losing your job and not being hired anywhere else--- is it worth that small amount of money...

use their ticket, be happy you can keep the miles and be done with it.

Bob H
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by mcjava
Unscrupulous employees like this are why I require boarding passes as well as e-Ticket receipts on expense reports.

Pretty hard to hide fraud when the boarding pass says "No FF miles" and/or has a fare letter on it.
Um that's pretty easy to change with photoshop.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
The corporate travel agency of the Company (that I contract for and have to use) takes ownership of unused eCredit. I've had to cancel a couple of flights and tried to use eCredit to rebook another flight but was unable to-even though I purchased the ticket using my personal credit card.

I still do not understand why this is the case (in my situation), but unfortunately-it is.

It really suck because for years (before my Company was recently acquired), I made all my travel arrangements (w/o having to use the corporate agency).
Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MRKEY
What would you think of an employee who did this?
I would think that I had an employee without much in the way of ethics.
Originally Posted by MRKEY
yes what about tax consequences?
Good question, probably the IRS would consider this to be taxable income.

I'm kind of in shock about this thread. When I submit an Expense report, I certify that I have in fact incurred those expenses. Pretty simple really.

David
Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I would think that I had an employee without much in the way of ethics.
Perhaps in the past tense.

In addition to the standard ethical/fraud issues with the tactics discussed here, it is also possible that this would hurt the company's volume discounts, rebates, etc. with the airline.

Originally Posted by keeton
I think my employer had a plan to reimburse at a lower rate if the traveler was willing to use his/her FF miles.
That makes some degree of sense. If the lowest fare is x, then reimburse the employee .67x if they choose to use another method to get there (in this case, FF miles).
Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA DL
No

Not worth the risk. $900, although a lot of money, isn't enough to lose a job over.

Maybe using miles for international first, instead of paying $10,000, you could negotiate with your employer and say that they should give you half of the purchase price if you use your own miles. Don't do anything without their consent.

Its not IF they catch you, its WHEN they catch you. . . what can you say to them. . .

just my .02
Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:32 pm

Is this being billed to a client? If so, you are also potentially ruining a relationship. I would look very poorly on this.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by yngdiego
Um that's pretty easy to change with photoshop.
Methinks tis simplicity itself.

And even more fraudulent.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Okay, a similar question.

If I have a voucher to use, I pay part of my ticket with that voucher and the rest with credit card. I then submit a receipt for the entire ticket price (essentially netting me the amount of the voucher in cash). Is that considered ethical?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by DukieDrew

If I have a voucher to use, I pay part of my ticket with that voucher and the rest with credit card. I then submit a receipt for the entire ticket price (essentially netting me the amount of the voucher in cash). Is that considered ethical?
If it is your voucher, I would see no issue with it. If it is a voucher obtained by cancelling a previous business flight that you already expensed I would take issue.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by DukieDrew

I am a manager with numerous employees who travel under me. I travel extensively, as does my team. (200+ night, 300+ flights/yr). Anyway...I have ALWAYS allowed this. I have done this (with my super. permission), and allow my team to do this. Its THEIR money!

That said...if they are scheduled to fly home and take a bump for vouchers and stay an additional night/car rental/additional meals, I do NOT cover that!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TexARN
I had a last minute Business trip come up leaving in a week. The company paid $900 for the ticket (usually the tickets are $300 - $350) Anyway, it got me thinking about what I could do with $900, and I did some research and came up with an idea, and need help calculating the risk. There are Skysaver seats still available for the days I will be traveling. Can I cancel my paid ticket, get the 25,000 mile award ticket for the same days, and keep the $900 eCredit? My revenue ticket was purchased by a travel agency that our company uses...will they be informed of the cancelled ticket, and therefore try to take the eCredit for future company use? Are there any other risks I should worry about? I know some may question the ethics involved, but hey, I am now having to travel on Fathers Day, doesnt that count for something?
That's a crummy thing to do to your employer. You still have to look at yourself in the mirror when you shave.

The credit will go on original card and travel agency will know.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by amps

Also, if I take volunteer bumps and get those vouchers, my employer will also allow me to purchase the ticket on my own and let me expense it out. I don't do this too often though.

Bottom line, I ALWAYS have permission to do so upfront.
This is different than OP.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
Just to gain a little credibility back, my boss was the one who hinted something to this effect. Not exactly as I described in my original post, but something similar. I guess my real question should have been around understanding what happens to the ticket once it is cancelled, i.e does it go back to the Travel Agency, and or what notification if any they receive (the form of payment is my corp credit card). I do have to submit expense reports, but as I failed to mention earlier, my boss knows my crazy addictions to MR's, and has been looking out for me! And just for the record, I will not be doing this. Even though my boss may be cool with it, from the sounds of it, the travel agency will get notified, and try to take it.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Boss nod or not, it's pretty unscrupulous behaviour. And if your boss does this and reports to anyone higher than him on the food chain, it'll get found out eventually, and something will be done about it.

My company offers alternative travel to all its travelling consultants: you can travel home, to another location, or fly someone to visit you for the weekend as long as it's not more expensive than flying home. The option has been severely limited because of people abusing the system (ie: booking PTO for a week and using the alt travel for their personal vacation).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.