Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change in Skymiles expiration policy eff. 1/1/09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change in Skymiles expiration policy eff. 1/1/09

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Exclamation Change in Skymiles expiration policy eff. 1/1/09

They are going to a two-year rolling expiration - i.e. your last activity was in March 2009, your balance expires in March 2011, rather than Dec 2011 under current policy.

New Skymiles expiration policy

Not a huge change, but some non-frequent DL fliers I'm sure will get burned. At least the didn't go to 18 months like US.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by bearcat74
They are going to a two-year rolling expiration - i.e. your last activity was in March 2009, your balance expires in March 2011, rather than Dec 2011 under current policy.

New Skymiles expiration policy

Not a huge change, but some non-frequent DL fliers I'm sure will get burned. At least the didn't go to 18 months like US.
yet...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Or worse yet, like AirTran where each point expires individually a certain amount of time after it is earned, regardless of activity.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by bearcat74
some non-frequent DL fliers I'm sure will get burned.
Perhaps one of the mods would like to start a sticky for "Delta didn't warn me my Skymiles would expire!"
Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Or worse yet, like AirTran where each point expires individually a certain amount of time after it is earned, regardless of activity.

Yeah that is definitely worse

Last edited by 2stepsbehind; Jun 6, 2008 at 1:18 pm
Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
If oil continues to do what it did today, it won't really matter...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
If oil continues to do what it did today, it won't really matter...
indeed. I'm going to try to cash out my miles this year.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Rolling 24 months isn't bad compared to US's 18 months. It is sad that my intial reaction was to just shrug and and accept it.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:30 am

What is the point of changing rules so frequently? Just think it through, and change everything at once.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
my question is, will NW announce the same rule any day now? if not, what's the point?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
What is the point of changing rules so frequently? Just think it through, and change everything at once.

Frogs are much more acquiescent if you raise the temperature of the water slowly..

Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, Dividend Miles, True Blue, Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
JetBlue, SouthWest and others do that, not just AirTran. My feeling (not that anybody asked) would be a combination set of rules.

1) With NO activity (buy miles, partner purchase, transfer, whatever) you loose your miles after a rolling 18 months.

2) No matter what you must FLY at least once every 36 rolling months or you loose your miles.

What seems to escape the general public is that these are (were) supposed to be for frequent FLYERS not frequent credit card users, or lunch buyers, etc.

There are a lot of programs out there, AMEX membership Rewards, Citibank TY points, BOA world points, that allow you to accumulate points that can be turned into miles or travel without flying. I feel that consumers in general would be better served getting points that way. Once again, it's my opinion and we all know about those

Now I am well aware that FF programs generate income for the airlines and that selling miles that you make sure can't be used is good for the profit point but there reaches a point when you have to take a step back and wonder if the program is helping or hurting you.

-Dave
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MrDave
What seems to escape the general public is that these are (were) supposed to be for frequent FLYERS not frequent credit card users, or lunch buyers, etc.
-Dave
Yes Mr. Dave but the airlines have found a way to rip off, i mean make, a few extra dollars. Continental actually controls their inventory so well that they claim to make a decent profit on their FF award tickets. DL gave AMEX miles as part of their getting out of bankruptcy financing . . . AMEX gave them away . . .
AT LEAST each CC Skymile earned isn't an MQM . . . could you imagine the flood of Medallions then??
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Originally Posted by RamAir
Yes Mr. Dave but the airlines have found a way to rip off, i mean make, a few extra dollars. Continental actually controls their inventory so well that they claim to make a decent profit on their FF award tickets. DL gave AMEX miles as part of their getting out of bankruptcy financing . . . AMEX gave them away . . .
AT LEAST each CC Skymile earned isn't an MQM . . . could you imagine the flood of Medallions then??
I hate to tell you this, but that's exactly how I'm going to make DL plat this year-by spending on 3 different Amex cards-all of which give MQM's....
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
double post deleted

Last edited by jcherney; Jun 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm Reason: double post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.