FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Canceled Flight Credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/831086-canceled-flight-credit.html)

somedude24 Jun 4, 2008 7:47 pm

Canceled Flight Credit

Several months ago, I canceled a flight on Delta and was told that a credit would be issued with my ticket number, minus a change/reticketing fee. The credit is good for a year, and can be used towards future Delta travel.

My question: Is the credit only good for me, the person in whose name the original flight was ticketed, or can I use it to buy a ticket for a friend or family member. On JetBlue and Southwest, credits from canceled flights can be used to buy future flights for anyone, but I got the impression from Delta that either I have to fly Delta sometime in the next few months, or the credit expires. Simply put, it cannot be applied toward a ticket for anyone else. Is this true? If so, it's a relatively lame policy. I'm already, at best, facing a $100 loss in change fees, which I can stomach, but losing the full $350 value of the roundtrip ticket because I won't be able to use it seems like an awfully bad deal.

3Cforme Jun 4, 2008 8:52 pm

The impression you got is correct: the credit is good only for the person who held the original ticket.

AndrewC75 Jun 5, 2008 8:29 am

This "relatively lame" policy is the same one that all of the legacy carriers have had for years. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by it.

MilesTalk Jun 5, 2008 11:28 am

What you can do is book the absolute cheapest flight, even one way, you can find to break the flight credit. If you find a $50 OW flight and call the reissue desk to ticket, you will get the original value minus the change fee minus the OW flight cost an an electronic travel voucher which is transferable.

somedude24 Jun 5, 2008 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by daveland (Post 9832082)
What you can do is book the absolute cheapest flight, even one way, you can find to break the flight credit. If you find a $50 OW flight and call the reissue desk to ticket, you will get the original value minus the change fee minus the OW flight cost an an electronic travel voucher which is transferable.

Sounds complicated and costly...but it just might work! Thanks for the tip.

somedude24 Jun 5, 2008 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewC75 (Post 9831113)
This "relatively lame" policy is the same one that all of the legacy carriers have had for years. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by it.

I am surprised about the non-transferable credits because I guess I haven't had the misfortune of canceling on legacies that often in the past few years (I did recently cancel and rebook on Continental, and faced some unpleasant fees in the process--$100 change fee plus $15 agency transfer fee, which they couldn't explain and wouldn't waive, but that's another story for another forum--but the new ticket was for the same person as the old one, so I didn't face this issue).

Being based out of NYC means we get used to--and spoiled by--the somewhat more flexible policies on JetBlue. And, for a while, other airlines like Delta and Continental were matching their fees and policies to resemble JetBlue's on routes where they directly competed...but that practice seems to have ended, as all the airlines, JetBlue included, are racing to out-fee one another.

DaDaDan Jun 5, 2008 9:49 pm

If you could cancel a ticket and use the credit to buy one for someone else, then the ticket's "non-transferable" clause wouldn't mean much.

SlowTrekker Jun 6, 2008 12:12 pm

What am I missing here? If you buy then cancel a refundable ticket, you should get a refund in the same currency you used to buy it. If you buy a non-refundable ticket.....

In todays "e-Bay / Coupon Connection" environment, a non-refundable but fully transferrable ticket would be exactly the same as a fully refundable (with change fees) ticket.