Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL Experience - How to Benefit from a Canceled Flight

DL Experience - How to Benefit from a Canceled Flight

Old May 19, 08, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Smile DL Experience - How to Benefit from a Canceled Flight

A couple of months ago I booked four tickets PHX->TLV->PHX.
The JFK routing was $250 cheaper per ticket, and total flight time was similar to the Atlanta route.
A month later Delta canceled the morning JFK->PHX-JFK, which left us leaving PHX at 6:40AM (was 10:35), and returning to PHX at 8:00PM (Was 11:10AM).
I called DL reservations hoping to change my PHX depature to 8:15, and my PHX arrival to 4:00PM.
Within 5 minutes we were all booked on the ATL flights at no cost. I was so shocked that I mentioned that the ATL routing was more expensive, to which the agent responded with "yes, but since we changed the schedule we will have to accomodate".
Bottom line: every time I consider severing my ties with Delta (3 consecutive trips where M is $1200 more than Q and $500 less than I) they remind me why I stuck with them to start with.
DLP
Old May 20, 08, 5:17 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes Delta is very flexible when it comes to re-booking. What makes it even better is when you are re-booked in Y when your original ticket is T.
Old May 20, 08, 5:29 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Same here - I had a PIT/SAN trip booked. It was a flight that arrived at something like 4 PM - which really screws up an entire day of doing things. I wanted the first flight of the day - to arrive early, but it was more expensive. After a few schedule changes, I asked to be switched to a different flight. The agent asked me which flights I wanted. I told him the first flight of the day - he said - "DONE" - THAT FAST!! I thought that at the VERY least, the same fare class would have to be available - which it wasn't - but it wasn't an issue!!
Old May 20, 08, 6:29 am

Programs: DL Gold
I fly DL mostly, so the few times I got my flights cancelled, DL has always accommodated any change I wanted in my itinerary without any extra charge (and even upgraded me a couple of times!) I thought this was de rigueur for all airlines, so I'm absolutely shocked to hear that this may not be the case at all. How can other carriers cancel your flight and inconvenience you, and then make you pay extra for anything other than their "recommended" rerouting? That's just mean.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: