Special Meals in First: Child's Dinner?

Old Apr 22, 08, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, HH Gold, Starwood Platinum, Avis First
Question Special Meals in First: Child's Dinner?

We're flying ATL - HNL this summer and need advice about ordering a special meal for my 9 year old son. Dinner will be served on our flight and I am wondering if I should order a child meal for him. Any ideas about what a child's dinner on Delta consists of these days?
Old Apr 23, 08, 2:30 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Here's hoping it's a PB&J filled with quaaludes.
Old Apr 23, 08, 6:50 am

Programs: DL HH
Originally Posted by Jazzop View Post
Here's hoping it's a PB&J filled with quaaludes.
If it is.. i may need to start ordering that myself...
Old Apr 23, 08, 2:22 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Poly Pal View Post
We're flying ATL - HNL this summer and need advice about ordering a special meal for my 9 year old son. Dinner will be served on our flight and I am wondering if I should order a child meal for him. Any ideas about what a child's dinner on Delta consists of these days?
I just flew back in First on an ATL-LAX segment with my 6 year old son last Saturday. Now this was the "delightful" Snack service. My son's CHML was a cheese snadwich, a bag of Fritos, a bag of Teddy Grahams and a cup of pineapple chunks. Remember this was a snack service. He seemed to enjoy it as he ate all of it.
Old Apr 23, 08, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL HH
If your child is anything like mine you are better off just packing a meal and some snacks.. maybe something that will keep them occupied on what can be a long and boring flight for a child.
Old Apr 23, 08, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My kids are experienced flyers and while most of their miles have been in coach from the northeast to Florida, they've flown in FC on the 777 and a couple MD-88's ("not like REAL First Class," according to them)

We've got a long layover in ATL so we'll be having lunch (Chili's in B Terminal?) But I really would like to hear from a FT'er who has an experience with a Child's dinner. Anyone else have any information? (I even checked the web site that shows photos of meals but their info on Child meals is slim to none.)

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 23, 08, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Children < 8 y.o. allowed in F/J?

Originally Posted by fly4work View Post
I just flew back in First on an ATL-LAX segment with my 6 year old son last Saturday. Now this was the "delightful" Snack service. My son's CHML was a cheese snadwich, a bag of Fritos, a bag of Teddy Grahams and a cup of pineapple chunks. Remember this was a snack service. He seemed to enjoy it as he ate all of it.
I thought (and hoped) that children <8 y.o. were not allowed in F/J cabins?

TFD
Old Apr 23, 08, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Task Force DL View Post
Only if you charter the aircraft.
Old Apr 23, 08, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

TFD
It's a shame that one would even think like this today. My 9 year-old child has traveled many times in her life and I would dare to say is probably better behaved than a number of 'adults' who are in the F/J cabins who drink too much, talk too loudly, or are just plain obnoxious.
Old Apr 23, 08, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by AKelley728 View Post
It's a shame that one would even think like this today. My 9 year-old child has traveled many times in her life and I would dare to say is probably better behaved than a number of 'adults' who are in the F/J cabins who drink too much, talk too loudly, or are just plain obnoxious.
I figured I had stirred it up with the folks in this thread. I'll leave it at this and not participate further in this thread (or any other PMs on the subject - thanks for those).

Statistically speaking, very young children (no I am not talking about YOUR 9 yo, who I am sure is wonderful, brilliant, very smart, good looking, and will one day be the most successful person on the planet ) have ruined many, many, many more flights for me than adults.

It's not their fault - They are children.

I DO also agree with your comment that the worst adults are worse than the worst kids. They have a sense of entitlement (especially FFs), can drink alcohol (which usually doesn't help), they have more mass, and generally are louder.

No offence intended.

TFD
Old Apr 23, 08, 10:16 pm

Child's meal on DL - International

Last year, our then 18 month old had a child's meal of chicken tenders, mashed potatoes and maybe some green beans, and I think they brought him special snacks too.

For some reason, I seem to remember them offering a separate "toddler" meal and a child's meal as well.

Hope this helps.
-Jennifer
Old Apr 23, 08, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKelley728 View Post
Agreed, but children are much more likely to be generally offensive in a closed environment than adults. It is part and parcel of them being immature in their development.

I've never had an adult repeatedly kick my seat back. @:-)
Old Apr 23, 08, 11:47 pm

I remember "drooling" at my 5 year old kids' meal from EWR-BOM and back last year - it was awesome(this was on the CO nonstop) - I tried some of it too after finishing mine

Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
Agreed, but children are much more likely to be generally offensive in a closed environment than adults. It is part and parcel of them being immature in their development.

Old Apr 24, 08, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post

But I have had an adult repeatedly punch my seat back playing the trivia game or changing channels on the PTV's

Back to the question at hand, has anyone ordered a Child's Dinner on a domestic flight? (I know - an opportunity that is few and far between these days.)
Old Apr 24, 08, 2:32 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador

TFD
My son was excpetionally well behaved on the flights we were on. He was quiet, watched his movies on the DVD player I brought for him, and kept himself occupied with other things I brought for him. In fact, his behavior was better than some of the ADULTS on the plane. For what it is worth, my son has Autism as well.

So chill out on having kids in the premium cabins!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: