Upgrading Non-revs At Atl Over Platinum

Old Apr 21, 08, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
Upgrading Non-revs At Atl Over Platinum

Just flew home on a Y-Fare one way, there were 4 seats in First when I boarded, I was last on the plane, instead they upgraded a family of non-revs. I was laughing, so much for Platinum Status.

I asked the agent in the CRC, she said it was full in First, I asked the agent at the gate, he said it was full in first with a nice attitude (rude).

get on the plane last, see the empty 4 seats, ask again, the FA told me to go and talk to the gate agent, I was not about to say one more word to the GA, because I was afraid of what I might say to him.

Next thing you know, a family of 4 comes from coach, clearly non-revs, it helps to be friends with the FAs over platinum status, but thats life, its not what you know, but who you know.

MQMS YTD 38,431
Old Apr 21, 08, 7:40 am

Wow, KL cabin staff must be training DL. This is one out of their playbook.
Old Apr 21, 08, 7:49 am

Programs: DM
Please write and complain being as specific as you can. Who knows, it may be me someday that doesn't get the upgrade

Thanks in advance.....
Old Apr 21, 08, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Btw I Had 19 D So I Was Able To Hear Everything When The Family Got Upgraded (757 W/avod). 19 D Is A Terrible Seat By The Way I Would Avoid It.
Old Apr 21, 08, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by surferdl View Post
Just flew home on a Y-Fare one way, there were 4 seats in First when I boarded, I was last on the plane, instead they upgraded a family of non-revs. I was laughing, so much for Platinum Status.

I asked the agent in the CRC, she said it was full in First, I asked the agent at the gate, he said it was full in first with a nice attitude (rude).

get on the plane last, see the empty 4 seats, ask again, the FA told me to go and talk to the gate agent, I was not about to say one more word to the GA, because I was afraid of what I might say to him.

Next thing you know, a family of 4 comes from coach, clearly non-revs, it helps to be friends with the FAs over platinum status, but thats life, its not what you know, but who you know.

MQMS YTD 38,431
This happens all of the time on Intl flights if specific upgrade (Z) inventory is not available. You can do a search on this and get many posts - DL will even fly EMPTY Biz seats AND clear non-revs when there are Platinums on Y fares. This is the stated DL policy.

But, this should NOT happen on a domestic flight and this has never happened to me, but I have heard of this happening more and more. DL really needs to make sure that proper upgrade procedures are observed. I would have asked to speak to a Red Coat/supervisor about this if the GA was rude to you.

Lately there have been FAMs on SFO-->JFK and I have noticed that they clear them into F/Biz right before they board, which decreases the number of F/Biz seats available for upgrade by 1 or 2. But, this priority is understandable since the FAMs need to be close to the cockpit.

TFD
Old Apr 21, 08, 9:00 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Is this a foretaste of the "new" Delta after merger? I hope not.
Old Apr 21, 08, 9:50 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Please send a letter to DL with the details of the flight plus the name(s) of the GA who told you F was full.

If they were non-revs, the GA should be disciplined.
Old Apr 21, 08, 9:59 am

Programs: DL Silver (MM), Marriott LT Plat, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Please send a letter to DL with the details of the flight plus the name(s) of the GA who told you F was full.

If they were non-revs, the GA should be disciplined.
What is it with GAs not following procedures ?!?!?
Old Apr 21, 08, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Silver (MM), Marriott LT Plat, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by Task Force DL View Post
This happens all of the time on Intl flights if specific upgrade (Z) inventory is not available. You can do a search on this and get many posts - DL will even fly EMPTY Biz seats AND clear non-revs when there are Platinums on Y fares. This is the stated DL policy.
And THIS is why DL is about THE most unfriendly airline in the skies, internationally. I refuse to purchase any international tickets with DL because of this policy.
Old Apr 21, 08, 10:02 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: DL DM/2MM, AA EXP/2MM, UA GD/1MM, AS MVPG75k, LH SEN, IC RA, FRMT LT PLT, HYT GLOB, HLT DIA, HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Task Force DL View Post
This happens all of the time on Intl flights if specific upgrade (Z) inventory is not available.... But, this should NOT happen on a domestic flight

OP, what was your route?
Old Apr 21, 08, 10:27 am

Programs: DL FC, NW

MQMS YTD 38,431
Sorry, but I will call BS on that one. A DL GA,etc. cannot manipulate the up list. Why would they risk their job for "family or friends"? These people are not stupid. You can believe their is another reason. DL is not going to up non-revs over a PM on any domestic flight. Also, how do you know they were non-revs? I remember when the CEO's kids were uped over some others in the late 90's and it caused an huge backlash. I know many DL frontliners and they tell me that they could lose their jobs if they did such a thing.
Old Apr 21, 08, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I was on flight 21 CDG/ATl last Thursday. There were 4 empty seats in BE and I wondered how many PMs were stiffed behind the curtain.
Old Apr 21, 08, 10:49 am

OT Reply

DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,MD11,707,717,727,737,747,757,76 7,777,A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340,ATR,ERJ-45,ER-170,CRJ,
I'll spot you the L1011, A330, and A340 and raise you DC3,DC4,DC6,DC7,L1049,CV240,CV340,CV440,CV540,CV88 0,CV990,Martin404,Vickers Visc. I,Vickers Visc. II,Comet IV,PBY,B720,MD80,MD88,Short 330, . . .
Old Apr 21, 08, 10:53 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by USCGamecock View Post
Sorry, but I will call BS on that one. A DL GA,etc. cannot manipulate the up list. Why would they risk their job for "family or friends"? These people are not stupid. You can believe their is another reason. DL is not going to up non-revs over a PM on any domestic flight. Also, how do you know they were non-revs? I remember when the CEO's kids were uped over some others in the late 90's and it caused an huge backlash. I know many DL frontliners and they tell me that they could lose their jobs if they did such a thing.
That's why this should be reported.

The GA didn't even need to manipulate the up list. If there are 4 open seats and the list doesn't get processed or if there are 4 people about to misconnect and the OP is not the person who ends up in 1 of the F seats while a non-rev does, something is very wrong.

Sure, the 4 people could have all been on A fares and were the correct people to move up ahead of the Platinum in the event of 4 misconnects. But the GA could have easily pointed that out. A letter to DL will get to the bottom of the matter and/or at least get a better explanation of why the FA moved 4 other people up from steerage.
Old Apr 21, 08, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I Wouldnt Fly A Comet If You Paid Me:d

Im 33 So Some Of Those Are A Little Out Of My Time Frame. Ill Raise You Lear 35, Lear 45, Cessna 402, Caravan, Piper Areostar, Commanche, King Air 90, G-5, And A Plane At Sapphire Aviation And Sansa I Cant Remebmer The Make Ofthem.

The Flight Was From Atl-fll On April19th 840pm.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: