Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading Non-revs At Atl Over Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR (Gold for Life), AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinun
I felt I had to reply with an earlier comment with regards not upgrading Platinum Medallions on international flights.

This year on domestic and one trip to Mexico I am 100% successful on being upgraded, however i find the policy of buying a YBM ticket to use a PMU as an upgrade quite shocking. On Air France if you fly on the non peak hours you as a Gold FB member routinely get an upgrade into Business, (which is substantially better than the current BE product).

The current international upgrade policy doesnt reward elite+ platinums and is something that should be addressed. Currently im considering switching to Oneworld as a Gold BA Exec Club member im pretty sure gets that coveted flat bed on a transatlantic sLUT fare....
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:30 pm

I'm very surprised at this thread. There have been a number of threads over the last year in the NW forum about how NW should deploy an upgrade system like DL has. From what I'm reading here, perhaps the grass is not so green in DL land.

Since NW's "big thing" is the upgrades, Non-Revs in Domestic FC is a very big deal. Very rarely you'll see a uniformed FA/FO in FC, which is a contract obligation under very specific circumstances. GAs on NW will hand off new Board Passes to the FA to upgrade Elites into any empty seats. Perhaps the paper trail is what keeps everyone honest.

On the other hand the complaint with NW has always been who's on the list U/G list and are who should be ahead of who. (i.e. I'm a more important PE than anyone else). The assumption is the computer screen fixes everything because the computer is an impartial arbiter of upgrades. Sounds like there are some issues.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Since the gate agent has to walk down the jetway to deliver the "final paperwork" to the crew, for the life of me I don't understand why the gate agent, at that time, could not advise the flight attendant as to who should be moved up from coach to fill the empty F seats created by checked-in noshows.
This is the way it should be and exactly how CO handles it. CO elites can (pre) board and still not lose their upgrade priority. ^
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by SFO777
This is the way it should be and exactly how CO handles it. CO elites can (pre) board and still not lose their upgrade priority. ^
Couldn't agree more - how much effort can it be to print boarding passes, bring them on the plane and have an FA take care of upgrading already boarded elites.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: NW GOLD
After reading all these post I can't believe that the DL GA'S don't check the first class cabin before they close the door and if there are empty seats, up grade the elites. I have been on many NW flights where GA's have come back to Y and handed pax's new BP's and moved them up front. If the flight is closed it only takes a min or two to reprint BP'S and move elites up. Why do you lose your right to and upgrade after you board in Y? That makes no sense at all. No wonder DL elites are not happy. I wouldn't be either sitting in Y looking at empty FIRST CLASS seats.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
If you were in coach, did you buy an M-fare and attempt to use a PMU? If so, I agree it is ridiculous that DL flies around with empty seats in BE when PMs are willing to pay for a higher fare class and surrender a PMU.
M-fare will not get you a BE seat with a PMU or miles. M-fare will get you an empty Z-fare seat in the BE cabin with a PMU or miles. One of the empty seats has to be a Z-fare seat to get upgraded.

This is the part about DL I really hate. I think DL should allow day of flight upgrades for empty BE seats for PMUs or miles if you are in a high-fare economy category.

On a flight from ATL-CDG on an M-fare and Z-fare waitlisted PMU in hand I was put in coach with 6 empty BE seats up front.

I only got upgraded with a PMU on an M-fare from CDG-ATL (after first being told I was upgraded at check-in, then not upgraded, and to check at the gate, then at the gate being told "non, c'est impossible" at the gate) because the AF gate agents (who work the DL flights at CDG) started upgrading people left and right (I assume based on fare or AF FF status), so I told the GA I was waitlisted for an upgrade. He just gave me the upgrade and had no clue what PMU was. The husband of one woman who was upgraded managed to whine his way up front via an FA.

DL is not NW, AA, or UA when it comes to international upgrades. Using PMUs is as difficult as finding SkySaver BE seats.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by keeton
Anything that happened after that is an act of charity by either the GA or FA. Apparently, the act of charity was directed at the non-rev family.
And such charity is a fireable offense for an FA at DL. At least that is what I have been told.

The question was how four empty F seats could be blocked off. Was it a coincidence or a conspiracy?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
I'm very surprised at this thread. There have been a number of threads over the last year in the NW forum about how NW should deploy an upgrade system like DL has. From what I'm reading here, perhaps the grass is not so green in DL land.
I think the general opinion is DL has the best domestic upgrade program, hands down. But at the same time, DL has the worst international upgrade program.

For me that works, as I rarely fly international. Even as a mere GM this year, I have gotten a few upgrades well in advance. PMs on a good fare get upgraded a lot, PMs on a discount fare still can get upgraded on some routes, GMs on a good fare get upgraded a lot, and depending on the route, GMs on a discount fare can get upgraded.

For international, I just live vicariously through my colleges on the west coast who get to fly UA international.

But on the bright side, int'l upgrade stingy DL will have the best int'l coach seats in the industry in a couple of years.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by meh130
For international, I just live vicariously through my colleges on the west coast who get to fly UA international.
Wow, DL must really be bad if you're envious of UA international.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:53 pm

Perhaps a minor points, but . . .

OP stated that she/he arrived at gate 11 min. before flight time.

OP arrived with less than 15 min. before flight time (GAs clear upgrades at 15 min. mark).

All passengers to be onboard at 10 min. mark and OP just begins a discussion when GA is trying to close out flight and claims GA is rude?

OP did not ensure name was on upgrade list; why didn't OP fulfill her/his responsibility to be considered for upgrade? (might I ask when OP actually confirmed on flight?)

With all of these, I cannot see why OP warranted upgrade. Consequently, I think that it's irrelevant who actually got to ride in the front.

But that's just my view . . .
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
In response to the last post, I walked out of the crown room at A, my gate was A 17 so I was right there about 40 mins before departure, that is when I asked the GA about upgrading, and got the attitude, so I came back at 11 mins before departure, asked again, and was really given the tude to the point I just didnt care anymore, but when i walked on the plane and saw the 4 empty seats, i was kind of shocked.

My upgrade success has been pretty good, I cant really complain at all about it, just kind of confusing to me when what happened happened.

I have no need to make anything up, and I know how to travel really well and i was raised always to be polite, which includes southern hospitality manners ( people from the south can understand).

Its not my first picnic.
Old May 13, 2008, 3:57 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by woody125
True. Gotta be at least 8 to sit up front.
Is this actually true or not really enforced? I was on a BOM - JFK flight and there was a family with two children who were clearly under or around 8 years old flying in Biz Elite.

Though I will say, they were extremely behaved and definitely enjoyed their True Flat Suite Beds :-) I wish I had parents back in the day that got me these fares!
Old May 13, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlySkyTeam
Is this actually true or not really enforced? I was on a BOM - JFK flight and there was a family with two children who were clearly under or around 8 years old flying in Biz Elite.

Though I will say, they were extremely behaved and definitely enjoyed their True Flat Suite Beds :-) I wish I had parents back in the day that got me these fares!
Oh yes it is very true but we are speaking about Pass Riders here. Kids on paid or award or upgraded tickets are welcomed to fly up front.
Old May 13, 2008, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by meh130
I think the general opinion is DL has the best domestic upgrade program, hands down. But at the same time, DL has the worst international upgrade program.

For me that works, as I rarely fly international. Even as a mere GM this year, I have gotten a few upgrades well in advance. PMs on a good fare get upgraded a lot, PMs on a discount fare still can get upgraded on some routes, GMs on a good fare get upgraded a lot, and depending on the route, GMs on a discount fare can get upgraded.

But on the bright side, int'l upgrade stingy DL will have the best int'l coach seats in the industry in a couple of years.
NW, imo, has the best domestic UG program. As a PLT, I was upgraded almost 90% of my domestic flights last year and am 16-for-17 this year.

Also, I can't believe that people on the upgrade standby list are expected to wait at the gate and give up on the priority boarding luggage space on DL. On NW and CO, the GA will come on board and do a "battlefield" upgrade before they close up.

It would be miserable to be on the upgrade waitlist and then not get upgraded and then have to check a bag cause the overhead was full. Worse yet, it appears that if someone already checked in no-shows or misconnects that the GA might say that first is full only to NOT upgrade PLTs who have followed instructions and boarded. Instead the PLT gets to look at the empty seat the entire flight.

Sounds pretty miserable to me, actually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.