NEED DL Urgent Complaint Advice

Old Mar 31, 08, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
NEED DL Urgent Complaint Advice

I am in a pinch, new to Delta and need some advice to settle an URGENT time sensitive complaint.

This morning I was denied boarding enroute to PVG from MKE.

The agent upon check-in stated that I need a Visa to enter China. In my case I had an onward ticket via SQ departing 3 hours after arrival into PVG. I showed this to the agent as well.

I tried to get the agent to review the Visa requirements; but, was refused. The answer I got, was that since my onward journey is on a seperate ticket, I need a Visa as my destination on DL is China. According to delta.com, State Department and China Consular website, this is not correct. This was also not the case when I previously transited China, with PVG being even more liberal and allowing 48 hours.

I tried calling Customer Service, they refer me to the airport who again states "need a Visa". The vicious cycle where each are refering me to the other.

Unfortunately, due to travel schedule was not able to renew my Visa prior to departure. Which of course should have not been required in the first place!

Is anyone at DL empowered to make this right?? The process at United is SOOOO much easier. One call does it all.
Old Mar 31, 08, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL GM
that is miserable whether it is you fault or not, though I don't know the answer whether you need a visa for an airport layover.

If you are correct, then you should be entitled to become CEO as that kind of mistake is ridiculous to deny boarding and make you miss two flights (DL and SQ)
Old Mar 31, 08, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Visa Rules from delta.com

National U.S.A. (US)
Transit CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) (CN)
Destination SINGAPORE (SG)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) (CN)

Visa not required provided:
- continuing to a third country by same/first connecting
aircraft within 24 hours; and
- holding confirmed ticket and documents required for
onward journey.
Leaving the airport transit area is allowed.
Overnight facilities are available outside the airport.

However, and only applicable if arriving at and departing from:
Shanghai Hongqiao or Pu Dong airports:
visa not required provided continuing to a third country
within 48 hours and holding confirmed onward ticket and
all documents required for next destination.

Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in
deportation of passenger by same or returning aircraft.
Fines for the transporting carrier varying between CNY 500.-
and CNY 2,000.- will be levied for each passenger with an
additional fine varying between CNY 5,000.- and CNY 10,000.-.
Old Mar 31, 08, 4:53 pm

Then they have some serious explaining to and owe you extensive compensation, though I am not sure what is donein this instance. Have you called DL again and spoken to a supervisor? I think they should at least be responsible for getting you to your desired desitination (in singapore?) plus pay for your overnight tonight as well as meals, and i don't think it would be wrong to ask for BE in compensation. If you had BE, then a refund.
At the minimum, they should refund your MKE-PVG fare if you now wish to cancel, IMHO
Old Mar 31, 08, 5:28 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Assumung you don't have status yet with DL and can't call SMS, I would go back to MKE and ask to speak to the station manager (not a supervisor, the station manager or highest you can get that's there). Wait until he/she turns up. Explain and show. If he/she doesn't acquiesce, ask them to at least let you go to ATL and take it up with the agents there.

While you're waiting, document everything and email DL via this link.

Good luck, and PLEASE come back and tell us how it worked out.
Old Mar 31, 08, 5:31 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Ouch. The visa rules at delta.com seem to be with you on this one, and you said that you showed your onward flights docs to the agent.

Perhaps one of the lurkers will see this and PM you.

Keep us informed. Will be curious how it sorts out. Out of curiosity (not that it should matter), what kind of ticket do you have? (Fare class)
Old Mar 31, 08, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Need Contact

Thanks jbatl, I sent the email and hopefully this will not be long in reply. UA even as a 1K can take a while, although NW is pretty quick. We shall see how DL compares. No status on DL, only 1K via UA and GE via NW.

andymo99 - My fare class is "T" which considering the intro deal I assume to be the lowest out there.

Unfortunately, getting back to MKE is not an option within the next few days / weeks. It is a several hour haul on a good traffic day.

With my schedule (SIN meeting Tuesday and need to be back by Wednesday) I am shot. I am an International buyer for home accents and a single father, so this is a VERY busy time on both fronts.

Of course, DL (Customer Service) did offer to put me on tomorrows flight . . . for an additional $2,000! I almost climbed through the phone!!!

Last edited by mjcasta; Mar 31, 08 at 5:57 pm
Old Mar 31, 08, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Um, if you are expecting an email back from DL within a few weeks, then you are fine...if you are expecting it in a few hours or even days (and with some sort of an intelligent response, forget it - particularly as a non-elite member) They are painfully slow and, frankly, not set up to deal with your situation.

You need to call DL and speak to an intl supervisor and get your record documented that you are good to go. (Which, btw, having transited PVG on more than one occaision on separate tickets, you are)

Then, when you get back, you need to hand write a letter to the CEO's office with copies to MKE station manager etc etc demanding compensation.
Old Mar 31, 08, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Documentation

DL Reservations has documented the record; but, nobody will step up and rebook or reaccommodate. Except for the offer of $2,000 add-collect for tomorrows flight.

To be honest, I must be totally spoiled by UA; because, I am stunned that NOBODY at DL is able to fix this. All who I have talked to say that a Visa is not required; but, nobody can do step 2 which is to rebook, reaccommodate.
Old Mar 31, 08, 7:09 pm
VIB

Originally Posted by mjcasta View Post
DL Reservations has documented the record; but, nobody will step up and rebook or reaccommodate. Except for the offer of $2,000 add-collect for tomorrows flight.

To be honest, I must be totally spoiled by UA; because, I am stunned that NOBODY at DL is able to fix this. All who I have talked to say that a Visa is not required; but, nobody can do step 2 which is to rebook, reaccommodate.
This is crazy. Who are the agents in MKE? Are they Delta, Delta Connection, or contractors, and how long have they been working for the company? The agents are supposed to use TIMATIC (maintained by IATA, I believe) to check documentation requirements. This is what the TIMATIC response shows for a US citizen, transiting China, with a destination of Singapore --

National U.S.A. (US)
Transit CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) (CN)
Destination SINGAPORE (SG)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) (CN)

Visa not required provided:
- continuing to a third country by same/first connecting

aircraft within 24 hours; and
- holding confirmed ticket and documents required for

onward journey.
Leaving the airport transit area is allowed.
Overnight facilities are available outside the airport.

However, and only applicable if arriving at and departing from:

Shanghai Hongqiao or Pu Dong airports:
visa not required provided continuing to a third country

within 48 hours and holding confirmed onward ticket and

all documents required for next destination.

Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in

deportation of passenger by same or returning aircraft.

Fines for the transporting carrier varying between CNY 500.-

and CNY 2,000.- will be levied for each passenger with an
additional fine varying between CNY 5,000.- and CNY 10,000.-.

And this is what the Chinese Consulate website says --

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

Transit (G) Visa

Updated: 08/2007

(G)Visa is issued to an alien who transits through China....

Additional information

Any person suffering from a mental disorder, leprosy, AIDS, venereal diseases, contagious tuberculosis or other such infectious diseases shall not be permitted to enter China.
Visas are not required of aliens , who hold final destination tickets and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.
Visas are not required of Citizens of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours:
Japan, Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece.

No visa is required for ordinary passport holders from Singapore and Brunei to visit China for up to 15 days for business, sightseeing, visiting relatives and friends or transit.

I think this is symptomatic of what's wrong with not only Delta, but most other U.S. airlines. In their zeal to cut costs, they've ended up with a slew of poorly trained, underpaid, overworked employees/contractors who haven't a clue. To compensate, they either refer to G*I'M MAKING THIS UP AS I GO ALONG in the GRS, or they call some remote center somewhere for assistance, end up on terminal hold, and leave you holding the bag (figuratively and literally) as the plane pushes back from the jetway.

The other day, I was trying to get seat assignments on flight 37 from LGW to SFO. The flight involves a change of equipment in CVG from a 767 to a 737. It took 23 minutes (including the initial time on hold) for the agent to put me on hold and do goodness knows what to complete this Herculean task. In the old days, any experienced agent would have been able to handle this in 30 seconds. Not anymore.
Old Apr 1, 08, 1:43 am

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
I would buy a ticket on whatever airline that can get you there first and then sue Delta later on for the damages.

This is really insane, to even ask for an additional $2000 when it is an error on Delta's part.

Similar incidents (like me being first refused reaccomodation on LH by the Rome ground staff while LGW ground staff had already protected me on that flight when their ATL-FCO flight went tech mid-flight) have caused me not to fly on Delta metal ever since.

United has always been crappy even sometimes to 1Ks - but Delta customer service has gone downhill at many stations, easily surpassing what United comes up with.
Old Apr 1, 08, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

News

Well well well. Got a reply. It seems as though Delta is stuck on the point that since their ticket has PVG as a destination, then a Visa is required. Absolutely no mention about my ticket on SQ to SIN, they seem to be completely ignoring that point.

Dear mjcasta:

Thank you for contacting us.

Your ticket reflects travel to Shanghai. As such a visa is required.

Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate your selection of Delta and

will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Rodney Taylor
Online Customer Support Desk
http://www.delta.com

Last edited by mjcasta; Apr 1, 08 at 9:37 pm
Old Apr 2, 08, 12:24 am

Programs: Delta MM
mjcasta -
did you ever receive any additional response or resolution? I'm curious how your situation turned out.
Old Apr 2, 08, 12:31 am

You need to respond to that email regarding the fact that you showed proper contiuing documentation....the problem is they live in fear of getting in trouble for sending someone without a visa, but they are being unfairly nearsighted on your particular issue as it is clear you were within the rules.
Old Apr 2, 08, 1:28 am

Programs: TK Gold
I remember someone had a similar problem flying on one of the SK OSL-PVG tickets. Basically the airline argued that they could not know if the pax would try to enter the country or not and then they would be liable. If you have the patience to search in the thread I think it is in there somewhere:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458095

Search this Thread