Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Plane RETURNS to gate to let passenger OFF DL982

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

Yesterday morning i was flying from LAX to GNV (go gators!) through ATL. We were already at the runway, #2 for takeoff from LAX when the pilot turned back to the gate to let a passenger off the plane.

We ended up leaving 1hr 45min after our scheduled 6:15AM departure. About half the plane missed their connections

Was anyone here on that flight? No one at Delta can tell me why they let this lady off the plane. No medical personel (not even someone with a wheelchair) met us at the gate, nor did any security personel.

I missed my connection to GNV having to wait 7 hrs for my next flight, not to mention the obvious security conserns of allowing someone to board the plane then deplane like that. Any thoughts?

Last edited by JohnOdd; Mar 30, 2008 at 2:40 pm Reason: personel has 1 L
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:28 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to our Delta SkyMiles forum, for further discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA/DL/NW/HiltonHonors Gold
deleted....
read date wrong sorry op

(see what happens with no Starbucks in the morning..let this be a lesson to everyone!!)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Melucher3
I have an issue with your account because of the times on the Delta.com website. It shows it left the gate at 612 3 mins early and landed at 143 13minutes late. Sounds like slight wind or atc issues no huge issue.
oh snap.

(maybe it's a date issue.)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
OP stated that the flight was yesterday, 29 Mar. According to Delta.com the flight departed 1:39 late and arrived 1:56 late.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: S3
flt 982 was 2hrs late into ATL Mar29. Delay was not due to ATC or weather
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by JohnOdd
not to mention the obvious security conserns of allowing someone to board the plane then deplane like that. Any thoughts?
That's a bummer about missing your connection. What exactly are the "obvious security concerns?"
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Yea the missed connection wasn't too cool but i made it to Gainesville, so im happy!

Regarding security conserns, that lady could have brought "who knows what" on the airplane, put it in the overhead, then said she had to deplane before the plane took off.

I know it seems a tad far fetched, but knowing someone can get away with that so easily is a little foul. I know it's airline VS tsa, but if someone cant get on a plane with a nipple ring, but someone can board a flight then hop off at the last minute, that raises some definite conserns..
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Wow! What a total crock that they didn't tell you all anything. I mean, really, would it have hurt to have made an announcement to the remaining pax on the nature of the delay? It would stop all of the speculation and rumors. AND it would go a long way in fostering good will.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
I think that'd be worth a few thousand SkyMiles with a nicely worded letter. They should have at least told you it was a personal issue for that woman.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
This is happened to me once before. Apparently one of the passenger started freaking out about the flight and started having convulsions and wanted to let off. I could see his was sweating like hell and shaking really bad. Pilot obliged and took him back to the gate. Said it would safer and in everybody's best intrest just let him off. We weren't much late, maybe 10 minutes. Nobody missed their connections.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DAYflier
I think that'd be worth a few thousand SkyMiles with a nicely worded letter. They should have at least told you it was a personal issue for that woman.

Yea the first thing i did after i got my new boarding pass for the next ATL - GVL flight was call Delta and ask for some Skymiles.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I think anytime a passenger wants to get off, an airline has to be nuts NOT to oblige. It seems that air rage instances aren't as newsworthy as they used to be, but still I wouldn't want to be in the tube with someone who really doesn't want to be there.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:19 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by JohnOdd
Yea the missed connection wasn't too cool but i made it to Gainesville, so im happy!

Regarding security conserns, that lady could have brought "who knows what" on the airplane, put it in the overhead, then said she had to deplane before the plane took off.

I know it seems a tad far fetched, but knowing someone can get away with that so easily is a little foul. I know it's airline VS tsa, but if someone cant get on a plane with a nipple ring, but someone can board a flight then hop off at the last minute, that raises some definite conserns..
That is extremely far-fetched and should not be raising "security" concerns in anyone who doesn't already have irrational, unnecessary "security" concerns already instilled in them.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by amps
This is happened to me once before. Apparently one of the passenger started freaking out about the flight and started having convulsions and wanted to let off. I could see his was sweating like hell and shaking really bad.
And I thought it was just me!! Those center seats in coach really are a bi*ch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.