FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Slew of fee increases eff 4/1, incl Direct Ticketing, Pets, UM, CRC, SkyMiles fees... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/806305-slew-fee-increases-eff-4-1-incl-direct-ticketing-pets-um-crc-skymiles-fees.html)

andymo99 Mar 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Slew of fee increases eff 4/1, incl Direct Ticketing, Pets, UM, CRC, SkyMiles fees...

I am sure an insider will posts details in short order, but here are the headlines that I heard about:
  • CRC one-visit pass to go from $25 to $30
  • Unaccompanied Minor fee to go from $50 nonstop/$100 connecting to $100 for all
  • Pets in cabin fee from $75 to $100
  • Pets as checked luggage to go from $150 to $200
  • Curbside checked bags as per other threads ($3 vs. free, exemptions include medallions, premium cabin, etc.)
  • Oversize bag fee from $100 to $150, I believe as discussed elsewhere
  • Direct Ticketing Charge goes from $20 to $25
  • "ASC" for reissues, etc of non-refundable tix goes from $75 to $100 (only for tickets originally issued after 4/1)
  • Award ticket re-issues and redeposits go from $75 to $100, with PM waiver still in place

And the most "industry leading" revolutionary change
  • "Handling charge" for any award that includes a segment on another airline: $25

Caution: I may have some details off, as I was just scribbling stuff down that an agent read to me. (I wasn't even flying DL, but was at the airport and saying hello to a friendly agent who provided the scoop)

There were a few others ones, but nothing major (something about plastic bags and stuff like that).

I'm sure an insider can provide better detail.

Have a happy weekend.

jbatl Mar 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by andymo99 (Post 9482665)
  • "Handling charge" for any award that includes a segment on another airline: $25

Oh, that is total CRAP! I don't even know what to say. I'm in shock. :mad::mad::mad:

AndyTLe Mar 28, 2008 4:24 pm

An early April Fool's Day joke I hope... :mad:

andymo99 Mar 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 9482711)
An early April Fool's Day joke I hope... :mad:

Oh man, if this agent was playing a joke on me, I will be so embarrassed! She seemed sincere in reading from her screen, though, and I just can't imagine she made it all up on the spot like that.

Can an insider confirm/deny?

lls138 Mar 28, 2008 4:54 pm

I just called SMS, said i wanted to change an itinerary as a travel agent friend of mine told me that the fee was changing from $75 to $100 on April 1st. She told me she had never heard that, so I said ok, don't change it then.

So still a rumor I think.

flyingcat Mar 28, 2008 4:55 pm

All true and the baggage exemption does not include Silver level elites.

GUWonder Mar 28, 2008 5:03 pm

If this is truly what it is, then it just goes to reconfirm that DL is trying hard to be the worst frequent flyer program of all the major US airlines that are part of a global airline alliance. :td: :td:

No other major US airline does this.

jbatl Mar 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

Originally Posted by GUWonder
No other major US airline does this.

Today. But I'm sure a number of them will think DL's brilliant idea is worth copying.

GUWonder Mar 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jbatl (Post 9482888)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

Today. But I'm sure a number of them will think DL's brilliant idea is worth copying.

I'll worry about that when there's credible evidence that that is on the horizon with the other airlines' programs which I use.

Evan! Mar 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by andymo99 (Post 9482665)
  • CRC one-visit pass to go from $25 to $30 Justifiable. Inflation is hitting everywhere.
  • Unaccompanied Minor fee to go from $50 nonstop/$100 connecting to $100 for all Justifiable. It takes extra personnel to deal with unaccompanied minors.
  • Pets in cabin fee from $75 to $100 NOT justifiable. The pets aren't getting any heavier and they already count as one of the pax carry-ons
  • Pets as checked luggage to go from $150 to $200 Justifiable. It takes extra personnel to deal with checked pets.
  • Curbside checked bags as per other threads ($3 vs. free, exemptions include medallions, premium cabin, etc.) Not justifiable. These workers already work primarily for tips.
  • Oversize bag fee from $100 to $150, I believe as discussed elsewhere
  • Direct Ticketing Charge goes from $20 to $25 Watch the other airlines follow suit. Who drew the short straw this time?...Delta. In about a year the airline that drew the long straw will be the last to up the fee.
  • "ASC" for reissues, etc of non-refundable tix goes from $75 to $100 (only for tickets originally issued after 4/1) Not justifiable. 'nuff said.
  • Award ticket re-issues and redeposits go from $75 to $100, with PM waiver still in place see immediate item above
  • "Handling charge" for any award that includes a segment on another airline: $25 TOTALLY unjustifiable. Would this mean an award with three other airlines would cost $75? or $25 for the presence of one or more partner airline? What a total crock of sh!t!!!

By justifiable I am not saying that I condone the change. I can just "swallow" the ones I called justifiable more than the others.

andymo99 Mar 28, 2008 5:14 pm

So I kind of regret starting this based on the report of one employee. Sort of like newspapers require two sources. Maybe this should be locked until confirmed?

GUWonder Mar 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Maybe it's better to leave it unlocked so that DL reps can post in it more easily; or if locking it, then moderators should include a note to PM moderators to unlock it if they have more comments about the matter?

griffinj Mar 28, 2008 5:27 pm

If you're angry at Delta, you are barking up the wrong tree.
[rant]
The skyrocketing price of oil has had a huge impact on many industries. The airline industry is one that sees it because they burn a lot of it flying us all around the world.

As do the:

I get annoyed every time I fill up at the pump and it now costs 50% more than it did a year ago, imagine what it must be like to fill a 777.

The American oil companies have record profits because of the market "demands" for oil. Keep in mind that their record profits are at the expense of the American consumer (taxpayer) and industries that use oil everyday, such as the airline industry, the trucking industry, local municipal governments, trains.

Because of the increase in the cost of fuel, the cost to bring those goods to you has or will increase in the near future.

Delta is not to blame, they are just as much a victim as are all US consumers.
          :mad::mad:
          [/rant]

AndyTLe Mar 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by andymo99 (Post 9482925)
          So I kind of regret starting this based on the report of one employee. Sort of like newspapers require two sources. Maybe this should be locked until confirmed?

As with most rumors on FT (unlike on other websites), the rumors tend to be true.

spgaston Mar 28, 2008 5:33 pm

I really think the better way for DL to go is to charge more for gas instead of gigantic BS junk fees at every turn.