Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Slew of fee increases eff 4/1, incl Direct Ticketing, Pets, UM, CRC, SkyMiles fees...

Slew of fee increases eff 4/1, incl Direct Ticketing, Pets, UM, CRC, SkyMiles fees...

Old Mar 29, 08, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by deltaflyer2008 View Post

Also for those saying Delta should increase fares. well fares have been increased in select markets, but you also have to remember we are enetering into a al la carte market, people dont want the extra fees in their ticket if they are not gonna use the service. I would rather their be a service fee for an extra service that has nothing to do with a butt in seat, than for my ticket price to be raised more.
Actually, all the extra fees that some people will be paying will be subsidizing the fuel to carry those that are paying for nothing except for their $250 T fare.

And what service is being given for an award ticket on a partner airline or a pet in cabin?
Old Mar 29, 08, 12:18 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

Originally Posted by Marylou
And the guy that checks 10 cases of equipment for his business trips doesn't want to have to pay more than me with no checked bag?
What are you talking about? No one is complaining about excess baggage fees (which have also gone up twice this year). I took issue with the bogus SM partner charge.

But my real issue is the underhanded way DL is doing this. They don't want to raise fares, not because they are worried about other airlines matching, but because it's too 'transparent' for them. Everytime an airline hikes fares, it makes news.

Instead, they come up with these fee hikes, tell no one, and wait for surprised travelers to fork over the extra dollars at the ticket counter, skycap, etc.

Yes, DL needs to make more money. They also need to be honest and upfront with their customers, and I think they failed miserably in this case.

Signed,
Guy who checks equipment

Last edited by jbatl; Mar 29, 08 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 29, 08, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
The Southwest commercial I used to laugh at thinking... "Thank god that's not Delta.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ccinu-bY3s
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFQiWiRbzg
You know, back in the "good old days" when I lived in MSY I flew Delta a good bit ... loved my CRC there ... loved the free upgrades. I actually flew WN a few times when I lived there and I was like many FT'ers, I thought they were a second-class airline ...

How times have changed ... the legacies are in a race to the bottom ... and to think of the mild controversy WN raised when they just started charging for the third checked bag! The legacies are so screwed when WN starts flying international ... imagine the impact of WN on all those Caribbean routes ... at that point the legacies will be praying WN doesn't decide to start buying wide-bodies and going across the Atlantic.
Old Mar 29, 08, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by lls138 View Post
Is this an Airplane! quote? If you are referring to the Jive man having their conversation with the jive translator, I believe, the exact quote is "What it is big mamma, my mamma didn't raise no dummy, I dug her rap."

Don't be messing with my knowledge of the finest movie ever to document the airline industry!

But on subject. We need to find some printed documentation of these changes. Someone post when found. Also, I find it egregious that DL alerts the travel agents after the fees go into effect. Should we expect different?
No, it wasn't a quote from anyone other than me.
Old Mar 29, 08, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Air Brian View Post
Amen - Delta's employees are about the only redeeming quality about the airline these days. I have your back.
Yeah those DL employees are so awesome - particularly the ones at JFK

And as for DLBeno (an employee I presume?) that wants to meet me at an airport of my choice to discuss the meaning of "dense" - I rest my case.
Old Mar 29, 08, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andymo99 View Post
  • "Handling charge" for any award that includes a segment on another airline: $25

Caution: I may have some details off, as I was just scribbling stuff down that an agent read to me. (I wasn't even flying DL, but was at the airport and saying hello to a friendly agent who provided the scoop)
This one I find the most dubious and it sounds to me like the source might be confusing the $25 award ticketing fee by phone, I would be surprised if they implement this fee for SkyTeam award tickets booked on the website.
Old Mar 29, 08, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Im shocked that SkyTeam is allowing this charge for DL miles being redeemed on other airlines. DL has eliminated the NUMBER ONE benefit for most frequent fliers. They are punished travelers who use miles to go places that DL doesnt fly. That's just ridiculous especially when all of the SkyTeam ads claim how miles can be easily used across all carriers. So sad...it may even drive people to switch to earning NW and CO miles instead of DL miles so could hurt DL that way also.

Is there a possible glimmer of hope that this $25 fee would be waived for Medallions?
Old Mar 29, 08, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
This one I find the most dubious and it sounds to me like the source might be confusing the $25 award ticketing fee by phone, I would be surprised if they implement this fee for SkyTeam award tickets booked on the website.
I have yet to see any AF availability (even SkyChoice) show up online much less KL, AZ or OK for that matter (true these have not been announced as uploaded yet). They are charging us for things their web site does not do! We're trapped!
Old Mar 29, 08, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I have yet to see any AF availability (even SkyChoice) show up online much less KL, AZ or OK for that matter (true these have not been announced as uploaded yet). They are charging us for things their web site does not do! We're trapped!
Unfortunately DL is hardly unique in doing this, NW does the same thing, the inability to do something on their website does not waive their telephone fees.
Old Mar 29, 08, 2:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Originally Posted by Marylou View Post
Again, I seem to be in the minority. As much as these charges chafe, I'd rather be nickled & dimed on extras than have them cut costs in other areas that would give us clueless SMS agents (or can that desk altogether), grumpy FAs & GAs because their pay got cut, fewer upgrades, fewer award seats that cost more mileage and so on and so on.

Bottom line is that they will have to increase revenue or reduce costs to survive. Just MHO that personally, I'll use the kiosk or pay the Skycap $3, leave the extra bag at home, pack lighter, leave Fluffy with the pet sitter, plan better or eat the change fees to keep Delta my Delta.

Get the tomatoes ready but I feel that if you use more services you should expect to pay more. 2 pet crates?? Good grief. Somebody has to deal with them. And the guy that checks 10 cases of equipment for his business trips doesn't want to have to pay more than me with no checked bag? And please don't even get me started on the UM issue.
We're talking about all the extra fees tacked onto just a ticket for a seat. Reasonably intelligent people expect to pay extra for other things. I'm saying instead of increasing fuel surcharges, etc, just raise the base fare and make it simpler. We don't mind prices going up if an airline's costs rise, it's HOW they're doing it we object to.
Old Mar 29, 08, 2:55 pm

All this blather about fuel surcharges and higher base fares has a nice sound to it, but isn't working in the real world. Just like polls that show voters want lower taxes but more government services. I think Larry Kellner of CO made the point yesterday--not enough carriers have gone along to make all the supposed fare increases this year stick. Passengers comparison shop based on ticket price and the higher one loses if all else is equal or near equal.
Much as I don't like some of these nickel and dime surcharges, you have to face that it is a fact of life in the world of $100 bbl when other revenue measures don't work. After all, DL and the others are just following the same model as the hotels, especially business ones like Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc.
Old Mar 29, 08, 3:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Originally Posted by gogreyhound View Post
All this blather about fuel surcharges and higher base fares has a nice sound to it, but isn't working in the real world. Just like polls that show voters want lower taxes but more government services. I think Larry Kellner of CO made the point yesterday--not enough carriers have gone along to make all the supposed fare increases this year stick. Passengers comparison shop based on ticket price and the higher one loses if all else is equal or near equal.
Much as I don't like some of these nickel and dime surcharges, you have to face that it is a fact of life in the world of $100 bbl when other revenue measures don't work. After all, DL and the others are just following the same model as the hotels, especially business ones like Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc.
Travelers will just have to wake up and grow up. You don't get something for nothing. We'd love unbelievably low fares to everywhere we want to go, but I'd much rather spend more $$ on a less frequent basis, and get great service, and safe, reliable transportation that the airline has the resources to keep up.

It's got so bad lately, that uber-conservative Ben Stein has actually advocated a return to airline regulation!!

Last edited by gsupstate; Mar 29, 08 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 29, 08, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
the PAX takes care of the pet the entire time.
One would hope.
Old Mar 29, 08, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
Unfortunately DL is hardly unique in doing this, NW does the same thing, the inability to do something on their website does not waive their telephone fees.
That's true to a point- for example, I find it a bit maddening that DL won't allow booking mileage upgrades online.

On the other hand, I've found that when the website wouldn't let me do things I'm "supposed" to be able to do, I've been able to have the fee waived or refunded.

Yesterday, for example, I was trying to book an award ticket and kept getting error messages re "pricing". So I called SMS and got an agent who said she could book it, but she'd have to charge me OR she could route me over to web tech support. The tech guy tried to make it possible for me to book online, but when that failed, he got an agent to book the ticket, gratis.
Old Mar 29, 08, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tennisbum View Post
Yesterday, for example, I was trying to book an award ticket and kept getting error messages re "pricing". So I called SMS and got an agent who said she could book it, but she'd have to charge me OR she could route me over to web tech support. The tech guy tried to make it possible for me to book online, but when that failed, he got an agent to book the ticket, gratis.
All of that for about $50 worth of Delta's payroll time instead of either fixing Delta.com or just waiving the fee from the beginning which would have used (estimating) 1/2 the time.

Search this Thread