Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Slew of fee increases eff 4/1, incl Direct Ticketing, Pets, UM, CRC, SkyMiles fees...

Slew of fee increases eff 4/1, incl Direct Ticketing, Pets, UM, CRC, SkyMiles fees...

Old Mar 29, 08, 10:11 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
CO has had a $90 in cabin Pet Fee for a long time. I have 2 cats that go back and forth to Florida with me, so this is $360 each trip. My (and my wife's) ticket is usually cheaper.

There is an alternative if you live in a JetBlue city. They charge $50 per pet and we will probably start flying them. So, by having an exhorbitant pet fee, CO will also lose our fares. DL flyers should consider this.

Does Airtran have an incabin pet fee?

Sometimes, you wonder who thinks up these things and if they really think them through?
Old Mar 29, 08, 10:16 am

Programs: AA MM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bulldog King View Post
it is much more simple for an airline to raise the add-on fees as they largely don't get factored in during a fare search.
It's becoming harder and harder to purchase a plane ticket and actually use it to fly without paying ever-increasing fees for every little thing. These "hidden" price increases are precisely what most of us here are complaining about!
Old Mar 29, 08, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by meh130 View Post
Why should it cost less to let an animal in the cabin vs. the cargo hold?
That one's easy: a certain volume of air must be allowed in the cargo hold for the pet to breathe normally. This is volume not generating revenue from the much more profitable cargo business.
Old Mar 29, 08, 10:43 am

I'm tired of having to fight for Delta. I think this is the straw that makes me rethink my airline choice.
Old Mar 29, 08, 10:44 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
It's becoming harder and harder to purchase a plane ticket and actually use it to fly without paying ever-increasing fees for every little thing. These "hidden" price increases are precisely what most of us here are complaining about!
EXACTLY!! Why don't the airlines just have the balls to raise fares - just the fares, and stop insulting our intelligence with fees? We would end up paying the same in the end, only with the added convenience of knowing EXACTLY how much we would be paying when the first fare screen pops up.

Airline fares used to be quoted with any & all applicable fees & taxes included. Just because there are a few more fees nowadays shouldn't keep them from including them in the first fare quote you see.
Old Mar 29, 08, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Bulldog King View Post
So many people have said the same thing....

The problem is that it is not that simple....

An airline CAN'T raise fares on its own without consequences.......unless most (if not all) other airlines are willing to match the increases.

How many times has an airline tried to raise its fares....only to have to roll back the increases when few (if any) of the other airlines willingly matched them?
Yeah but they're doing it anyways except through added and deceptive fees. This is a classic example of "Gotcha Capitalism".

A good friend of mine went to Europe last least and booked many legs on Ryanair. Of course he landed nowhere near Stockholm or Frankfurt. He got so fed up that he ended up forfeiting one of his tickets and bought on separate airline and will never fly Ryanair again. (Not that Ryanair particularly cares).

“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”

It's pretty clear to me: DL and other airlines are turning their back on the ultra-price-sensitive segment of the market. The real problem is that this segment also includes people who are forced to buy lowest fares.

“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Again, I seem to be in the minority. As much as these charges chafe, I'd rather be nickled & dimed on extras than have them cut costs in other areas that would give us clueless SMS agents (or can that desk altogether), grumpy FAs & GAs because their pay got cut, fewer upgrades, fewer award seats that cost more mileage and so on and so on.

Bottom line is that they will have to increase revenue or reduce costs to survive. Just MHO that personally, I'll use the kiosk or pay the Skycap $3, leave the extra bag at home, pack lighter, leave Fluffy with the pet sitter, plan better or eat the change fees to keep Delta my Delta.

Get the tomatoes ready but I feel that if you use more services you should expect to pay more. 2 pet crates?? Good grief. Somebody has to deal with them. And the guy that checks 10 cases of equipment for his business trips doesn't want to have to pay more than me with no checked bag? And please don't even get me started on the UM issue.
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Sorry, I haven't had my second cup yet.
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:21 am

Programs: DL GM
Has anyone been able to confirm, via DL employee friend or via call to SMS, that the above are true?

I made a second call to SMS and still the agent acted clueless today to the above changes.

So far this was posted by someone who spoke to a GA who stated these changes, then was confirmed here by an DL agent....but, it would still be nice to know that we are getting consistent answers and the above are starting 4/1/08. Especially since none of this has been reported to the press or on the website.

The last thing we need is a suprise on 4/1/08 so everyone can make any changes they want (ie. pay $75 ticket change fee now to avoid the $25 increase and avoid the increase on other fees that I know will ding me, and especially locking up award tickets on other ST carriers for FREE!!! no this $25 BS.)
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Marylou View Post
Again, I seem to be in the minority. As much as these charges chafe, I'd rather be nickled & dimed on extras than have them cut costs in other areas that would give us clueless SMS agents (or can that desk altogether), grumpy FAs & GAs because their pay got cut, fewer upgrades, fewer award seats that cost more mileage and so on and so on.

Bottom line is that they will have to increase revenue or reduce costs to survive. Just MHO that personally, I'll use the kiosk or pay the Skycap $3, leave the extra bag at home, pack lighter, leave Fluffy with the pet sitter, plan better or eat the change fees to keep Delta my Delta.

Get the tomatoes ready but I feel that if you use more services you should expect to pay more. 2 pet crates?? Good grief. Somebody has to deal with them. And the guy that checks 10 cases of equipment for his business trips doesn't want to have to pay more than me with no checked bag? And please don't even get me started on the UM issue.
Being selfish for a moment, I don't mind 2nd bag fee, Skycap fee, unaccompanied minor fee, etc, as I never utilize those services. I travel almost exclusively with a carry-on, and I don't have a child that flies alone. I also wouldn't pay $25 or $30 to get into the Crown Room (just not worth it to me at almost any price). So most of these fees really don't impact me, even before considering Platinum Medallion waivers, etc.

Ticket change fees are another story, however.
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:27 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Originally Posted by Marylou View Post
I would agree with your statement if the fee increases were accompanied by better service, more flexibility, and in general a better flying experience. In fact, just the opposite is occuring - paying more to get less. I don't care about pet fees (still cheaper than a kennel) and the like, but increasing the change fee and the BS handling charge for others airline's segments hurt. In markets where I have a choice of SW with no change fee, or DL with $100 each time I change a ticket, I am sure to fly the cattle car.

As for the $25 - just one nail in the coffin of Sky Piles.
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Employee
I have not heard this either, not sure what the other ops are talking about.
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:31 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by DLres2006 View Post
I have not heard this either, not sure what the other ops are talking about.
Uh oh.....a DL employee has not heard of this. Have we all been April's "Foolsed"?
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Employee
post removed
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:50 am

Hello I am new here.

Not sure if the fees are true, but not so long ago the ASC was 100.00 so thats no biggie for me if it does change.

but I have seen in the past when Delta makes fee change annoucements it has always been on the 1st or the 15th of the month. We will just have to wait for the offical annoucement to see if this is true.

As a shareholder and a PM with Delta I can see how this makes since, since the cost of fuel is so high.

Also for those saying Delta should increase fares. well fares have been increased in select markets, but you also have to remember we are enetering into a al la carte market, people dont want the extra fees in their ticket if they are not gonna use the service. I would rather their be a service fee for an extra service that has nothing to do with a butt in seat, than for my ticket price to be raised more.

Search this Thread