Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RealDLInsider - Questions/Answers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
The Pay With Miles option would be a lot more attractive if you could earn miles/MQMs on the flight, or could upgrade by the normal means.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta DM
hum. pondering this thread....
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by opus17
The Pay With Miles option would be a lot more attractive if you could earn miles/MQMs on the flight, or could upgrade by the normal means.
That would make sense from a SkyMiles customer's perspective but DL probably wants to limit economic consumer surplus and capture that (or part of that) for itself. Pay with Miles and not earning miles/MQMs is way to limit how much consumer surplus is created by redemptions.

Let's take the example of 11th hour award tickets. DL knows that when a customer has the choice of paying $900 or 25,000 miles for that same day or next day trip, the customer is getting a lot of value from the award redemption. DL -- seeking to get in on the action -- could perhaps capture some of the consumer surplus by devaluing the award charts, decreasing availability at the standard 25,000 SkyMiles award level, and/or collecting more in fees and adding other restrictions and conditions to last minute award redemptions. This seems to be what Delta is trying to do yet again -- and it comes at the expense of DL SkyMiles customers.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Evan!

Perhaps not exactly, but it is known that it is generally not zero or one or two or even three or four with a fresh one; and if it were to go from more than four licks to under four licks, it won't be too hard to tell.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Jeff:

After just five pages, here is what I see.

48 Hour Hold/No 48 Hour Hold - Like others have suggested, calling SMS is really the only way to find some inventory. Until you fix the online system, this decision is not just unfair, it is bad business. I further suggest at least a 4 hour hold for anyone, and perhaps a 24 hour hold for Silver, and 48 hour for Gold and Plat. Let status determine the length but provide everyone with some room to confirm hotel and ground transportation.

331 Day Sky Saver Elimination - With all the talk about Sky Choice and 3 Tiers, this is one issue that I would like further clarification on. If you don't load SS inventory at the 331 day window and you suggest that you won't load inventory as the flight becomes full, how are we, your more loyal fliers to know when or if you will ever load any inventory. Providing us with some level of predictability would be greatly appreciated and in all fairness, would be one hell of a give back. It is unfair to expect us to check at mid-night for months on end to see if SS seats have loaded. While others might use their miles for last minute travel, I am with the crowd that uses my hard-earned (and revenue positive for Delta) miles to transport my family to visit the in-laws (in two hops without ridiculous layovers). Once this is no longer possible, I too will have to search for a greener pasture. Your only hope then is that none other exists.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:24 am

The immediate ticketing rule makes no sense for tickets that can't be done online. They should at least exclude these. Passengers need time to confirm other aspects of the trip.

Calling "Pay With Miles" a "giveback" is pretty insulting.

Maybe DL doesn't realize that frequently changing the program gives the appearance of a shell game. No one wants to play if the goal post has legs.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:32 am

I find it beyond comprehension how some Posters on this and other Delta threads continue to defend the INDEFENSIBLE.Recognizable by the continued unrelenting support of a deteriorating FF program,whose implementation by inept corporate management should be realized and considered an embarrassment to say the least. (Have a go if you wish)
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Free ride with DL? Sounds like a story about a ghost under the bed. There's no reason to stop expecting something -- like ghosts -- that does not exist. If you haven't started, you can't stop.

DL and its apologists would be wise to stop thinking that they have been giving SkyMiles customers, especially Medallions, a free ride when they really have not. Rather DL has been getting paid its due from the flights and other SkyMiles partner activity of legitimate SkyMiles customers including Silver, Gold and Platinum Medallions.
I think you're hung up on the term "free ride."

There are certain people that have unreasonable expectations, like SkySaver seats on whatever flight they want, upgrades whenever they fly, six segment itineraries for $99, etc. In my mind, these expectations equal a free ride - i.e. paying a minimal amount for a significant, costly benefit - in the current economic and competitive environment.

If DL was getting "paid its dues," don't you think it would be able to operate profitably at the current level of benefits?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Getiton
I find it beyond comprehension how some Posters on this and other Delta threads continue to defend the INDEFENSIBLE.Recognizable by the continued unrelenting support of a deteriorating FF program,whose implementation by inept corporate management should be realized and considered an embarrassment to say the least. (Have a go if you wish)
Well, going out of business is indefensible too.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by sxf24

There are certain people that have unreasonable expectations, like SkySaver seats on whatever flight they want, upgrades whenever they fly, six segment itineraries for $99, etc. In my mind, these expectations equal a free ride - i.e. paying a minimal amount for a significant, costly benefit - in the current economic and competitive environment.

If DL was getting "paid its dues," don't you think it would be able to operate profitably at the current level of benefits?
Other than EP status, DL doesn't differentiate between "free ride" $99 flyers and those paying hundreds of dollars for a last minute hop. The benefits for Medallions are the same at each level regardless of the amount each person paid to reach that level.

So when the economy recovers form the "current economic" environment, do you think DL will return the things that are being taken away?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Well, going out of business is indefensible too.
But sometimes it should be considered a realistic option.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Getiton
I don't find it beyond comprehension -- some have a financial self-interest in Delta that is less reflective of the interests of the broader SkyMiles membership base than it is reflective of their (or their family's) employment, supplier, creditor or investor relationships.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:43 am

How about this? Allow a 24-hour hold, renewable once per day for X days. If DL is honest about their reasoning for the change, this would solve their problem and still give passengers some flexibility.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:44 am
Suspended

Rather I think it you who are hung up on the term "free ride". After all it was your use of it that has been criticized.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Other than EP status, DL doesn't differentiate between "free ride" $99 flyers and those paying hundreds of dollars for a last minute hop. The benefits for Medallions are the same at each level regardless of the amount each person paid to reach that level.

So when the economy recovers form the "current economic" environment, do you think DL will return the things that are being taken away?
I think the smart airlines are taking steps to differentiate the services offered between high and low yield passengers. Elites will continue to get a constant level of service, i.e. priority check-in, reservations and/or security.

The industry has always been cyclical and by all accounts, is becoming increasing fragmented. With new entrants raising the bar on in-flight service, U.S. carriers will need to use any profits they generate to invest in their fleet and other capital assets. Competition is driving changes to the passenger experience, rather than perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.