Trouble booking SkySaver reward travel online

Old Mar 22, 2008, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
Trouble booking SkySaver reward travel online

I have been having trouble booking reward travel online. I am trying to book a domestic SkySaver first class ticket which is 45K miles. The calendar shows both legs as having SkySaver available. However when I go to select the individual flights only SkyChoice is available for 90k.

Anyone else having this problem?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes... join the club
The award calendar has been broken like that for months.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Click the little '+' in the bottom right hand corner of the page and tell them that their website is worthless for booking award travel. Explain exactly why you couldn't accomplish what you wanted to today.

A more practical suggestion would be to ensure that you search by "schedule" not by "price." And make sure that all the boxes above the flight list are checked: 'Nonstop", "1-Stop" and "Multi-Stop". Sometimes there will be nonstop flights available but for some unknown reason they won't be displayed unless you take that additional action.

Finally, you can sometimes get better results by entering flight segments individually as part of a multi-city itinerary. You might even want to go to nwa.com or continental.com and search for award tickets on their websites. Look for the itineraries on DL flights then come back to delta.bomb and enter each leg separately.

Good luck, you will need it. And a lot of patience.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah it really sucks how DL is basically forcing us to use their online award booking system to avoid any fees and let us hold flights, and the stupid thing doesn't work for crap.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by boeingATL
I have been having trouble booking reward travel online. I am trying to book a domestic SkySaver first class ticket which is 45K miles. The calendar shows both legs as having SkySaver available. However when I go to select the individual flights only SkyChoice is available for 90k.

Anyone else having this problem?
Yes, everybody has this problem. DL's award calendar has more than its share of "glitches".

A good starting point is to check Continental's website for its award calendar (look under "OnePass", then "Use Miles"). I find it a lot easier to use and it includes a lot of Delta inventory (although not all inventory on Delta, especially for Medallions). But if you find a flight you want on Continental's website, then just switch over to Delta's site and you can usually click through to it (ignoring the calendar, just keep on clicking).
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
The calendar doesn't work, plain and simple.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:19 am

Yes, I've noticed the Delta calendar does not work correctly....

I will try to provide a condensed version of last week's experience with the Award Ticket calendar....

Spent 3 days trying to match up and book 2 itineraries --spouse's + mine-- multi-city, 45000 miles each booking. I was amazed at how broken the calendar is; I tried 2 office computers not on the same network as well as my own home PC and kept coming up with different flight options each try. Cleared the cache, erased the cookies, etc., with no success. This made me crazed.

Phoned Delta and was put through to 1-800-I-Don't-Speak-English only to be told it is my computer's fault. When I then asked to speak to a Supervisor the agent said he IS the supervisor and in charge of everyone else and could not help me - not his problem but mine. Gimme a break.

After much conversation with this same guy, he conceded and booked my itinerary to match spouse's, put the reserv. on hold, and told me no fee 'this time' This agent said to be sure to redeem my itinerary online through my account which of course didn't work after numerous tries.

Phoned back on Day 3 and was finally able to convince another agent that the problem lies with their system, not my computer. That agent completed the redemption over the phone and I was not charged a fee.

Adding to the frustration: anyone I spoke to made it sound like they have never, ever encountered this problem before my phone call.

Last edited by scoobiedo; Mar 23, 2008 at 10:26 am
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
I tried to book some travel using their calendar, it indicated phantom availability. Two types of errors: 1) the skysaver available dates show up as only sky choice when you actually get flights and 2) it can come back and say "there are no flights available for the day requested."

Naturally I came to flyertalk and in about 1 second found this thread...good job Delta. This is but one of a list of several issues. Ever since emerging bankruptcy (from my perspective) they've been doing their best to push customers away, it's like they feel comfy under court protection. I suppose this has more to do with the changing "leader"ship.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I had the exact same problems last week. I've found www.delta.com works best when you search by Schedule rather than by Price.

Is price or schedule more important to you?
Price Schedule
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
It's infuriating. Argh!!!!
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:44 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by smp9778
A good starting point is to check Continental's website for its award calendar (look under "OnePass", then "Use Miles")
Wow. Thank G*d again for FT. I was trying to get my SO on an ATL-SJO itin that I had booked in F SkySaver on DL months ago. Saw SS outbound on CO connecting through IAH, which was fine. The return was a problem. No avail SS or SC near my departure time (an early AM was avail). So, I tried the search on CO.com. Sure enough, boom, the same flight I was on for the return shows their equivalent of SS in F. I call DL, explain what I found, they say they see it too. Txfr to online help desk, who waives the fee and tickets. Done. Would have never thought if it if not for smp9778's post. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. FT rocks!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:14 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Traveller
I had the exact same problems last week. I've found www.delta.com works best when you search by Schedule rather than by Price.
Thanks. Just got SkySaver tix for my son from LAX/TLV. Worked well, albeit it did take a bit of time. Still, he got his award ticket. I gifted some miles and all worked out. ^.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thanks. Just got SkySaver tix for my son from LAX/TLV. Worked well, albeit it did take a bit of time. Still, he got his award ticket. I gifted some miles and all worked out. ^.
Well, well, isn't your son flying next available trip from LAX-TLV? Why he hasn't used his own SkyMiles Accountable? How much miles does he need to get award ticket in J class instead of Y class?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.