Delta To Cut Routes:

Cities Eliminatied:
ISP
ACY
BLI
FAR
MRY
YQB
MEI (probably will remian as EAS for the time being)

Total 6 (so far, not including MEI)

Routes Eliminated:
ATL-EDI
ATL-ISP
ATL-ACY
ATL-GRB
ATL-TOL
ATL-OAK
ATL-FSD
ATL-SCE
BDL-CMH
CMH-RSW
CMH-FLL
MCO-LIT
MCO-CAE
MCO-CHS
MCO-GSO
MCO-LAS
MCO-FLL
MCO-MIA
LAX-IAD
SLC-BNA
SLC-ESP
SLC-MRY
CVG-BGR
CVG-BTV
CVG-COS
CVG-JAN
BOS-MSY
BOS-SDF
BOS-LAS
BOS-YQB
FLL-LAS
FLL-RDU
BTR-DCA
LGA-BDA
JFK-YQB
JFK-FDF
JFK-SDQ
JFK-STI
JFK-PTP
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Wow! That's a lot more than I had originally thought would be cut. Surprised to see those Dominican routes going, I thought those were packed with locals. or are the yields just not there. Also surprised to see Raleigh losing FLL..already lost TPA...and MCO cuts coming (not sure how much though). Southwest and JetBlue are probably happy!

Are any more route cuts to be expected? or has the chopping block been bloodied enough.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Starwood Plat, Hertz 5*
wow....in 2 years, we went from 4 x daily TOL-ATL to cutting the route. This is a disaster!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: SkyMiles, Priority Club Platinum, Amtrak Guest Rewards
The ones that hurt me are BDL-CMH and BOS-LAS. Now I'm left with only B6 or US to LAS nonstop and from BDL only CVG is left, which is at least twice the price consistently.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Wow! That's a lot more than I had originally thought would be cut. Surprised to see those Dominican routes going, I thought those were packed with locals. or are the yields just not there. Also surprised to see Raleigh losing FLL..already lost TPA...and MCO cuts coming (not sure how much though). Southwest and JetBlue are probably happy!

Are any more route cuts to be expected? or has the chopping block been bloodied enough.
I'm not surprised on RDU-FLL; point-to-point routes are easy targets to cut, with few if any connecting pax to fill them. Besides, that route is already run by B6 and WN in addition to AA doing RDU-MIA.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM
I didn't even know most of these routes existed. Some routes (i.e. LAX-IAD, BOS-YQB, BOS-SDF, BOS-MSY) make me wonder who was doing their route planning, I mean to me anyway it seems like these routes would have no hope of being profitable. BOS-YQB? I can't imagine they could fill 50 seats per day on a RJ. LAX-IAD, there is already so much competition, and you can go non-stop on AS from DCA.

Other ones are a little more surprising, such as CVG-COS, ATL-TOL, CVG-BTV, I would have figured they could fill those seats. (Shows why I'm not a route planner )
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM
Thumbs down

A sad day for Delta........
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question Link?

Is there a link to this?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:41 am

Shocked about BOS-MSY as this was a VERY new route (just getting started) same goes for the JFK-Caribbean routes as they always seemed to have decent/good loads and were not M88 op'd.... Wonder if this means 757's or 737's could be getting parked?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
What about current routes?

Is there news about cut backs in current routes?

Flying our of OKC, I fear the worst for us even though they just opened up service from LAW.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Shocked about BOS-MSY as this was a VERY new route (just getting started) same goes for the JFK-Caribbean routes as they always seemed to have decent/good loads and were not M88 op'd.... Wonder if this means 757's or 737's could be getting parked?
The price of fuel at the currrent level makes it difficult for airlines to take a "wait and see" approach to routes. When oil was cheap, airlines could start and new route and hope it would eventually catch on. But now, a route has to catch on immediately and make money from the start for it to stick around.

I would think MDs would be parked before the 757s or 737s.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any details on when this takes effect? I'm booked on the BOS-LAS rountdrip in May and its a pretty full flight already. Dunno why they'd cut this route, the flight is almost always full.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
How do the ATRs fit into the fuel consumption equation wrt RJs? GNV, for example, currently has 4 ATR and 2 RJ flights daily (to/from ATL) and I wonder how this ratio could change (other than reducing frequency completely).
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:44 am

I was not aware that DL even flew to FAR, nor that they flew LGA-BDA. I just looked at the schedule, and it appears that I'm right. LGA-BDA is a connection, and anything to FAR is on NW. So how can they be eliminating these? Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
Any details on when this takes effect? I'm booked on the BOS-LAS rountdrip in May and its a pretty full flight already. Dunno why they'd cut this route, the flight is almost always full.
Agree with that... always full in the rear cabin, but usually an eay medallion upgrade. And the plane basically flew back and forth overnight allowing the plane to be used for hub and spoke routes during the day. It is the price of fuel, pure and simple.

The only way to win is not to play!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.