Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DELTA joins $25 2nd bag club - from 01MAY08

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
If there was a socially acceptable way for the airlines to weigh everybody and charge for a per pound basis, I bet some airline would do it.
I have actually experienced this, albeit on a VERY tiny outfit called Scilly Air Service between the obscure English Isles of Scilly and Penzance, Cornwall. They made all the PAX get on a huge scale and the GA made a note on slip of paper which we had to give the pilot of the single engine plane. He used that info to decide where to seat the six of us for the 50 mile flight. (Of course the personal weight had no bearing on the fare paid.) They also weighed the luggage and no carry-on was allowed. I don't see DL doing this any time soon, though. The landing strips at both ends were grass, BTW.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
I have actually experienced this, albeit on a VERY tiny outfit called Scilly Air Service between the obscure English Isles of Scilly and Penzance, Cornwall. They made all the PAX get on a huge scale and the GA made a note on slip of paper which we had to give the pilot of the single engine plane. He used that info to decide where to seat the six of us for the 50 mile flight. (Of course the personal weight had no bearing on the fare paid.) They also weighed the luggage and no carry-on was allowed. I don't see DL doing this any time soon, though. The landing strips at both ends were grass, BTW.
But that was more of a safety issue.

Fuel consumption is directly related to weight. I wonder if any airline would have the guts to try a weight-based fare business model.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
If it's just about weight, then why not say so? This policy is stupid because it forces people to pack all their crap in one large suitcase vs. two medium sized suitcases. Why not just put a weight limit instead of a per piece limit?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Recreation
If it's just about weight, then why not say so? This policy is stupid because it forces people to pack all their crap in one large suitcase vs. two medium sized suitcases. Why not just put a weight limit instead of a per piece limit?
50lbs is the weight limit.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just think how fun the security lines will be with all of the extra carryon bags. Are they going to enforce the carryon size rule? That also means ticketing will be busier and have longer lines due to measuring bags and people arguing.

Oh and then the joys of once you're on the plane... way too many carryons which means the overheads will be full. So then what happens? FAs take the rollerboard to check it? Do they try to collect $25 on the plane?
I can see nothing but increased agravation and departure delays starting from moment you hit the airport until the late pushback.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Exactly.
If this is truly about weight, why force the use of massive bags and subject workers and passengers to lifting injuries?
The scales are already in place at most counters...why not impose a rational weight limit?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
Airlines need to make it clear the additional luggage charge is not only for 2nd bag but for 2nd bag period -- and charge DOUBLE for any attempt at carrying on a 2nd bag! -- and that should include elites as well. People need to learn to travel LIGHT. Ship your crap ahead and ship it back when you've finish your journey, either that or take Greyhound or stay home.
Sure
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
slippery slope here we come.....
And, the hits keep on a coming!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by rylan
Oh and then the joys of once you're on the plane... way too many carryons which means the overheads will be full. So then what happens? FAs take the rollerboard to check it? Do they try to collect $25 on the plane?
That's a great point. I can't wait to see what happens the first time they need to take a bag off and check it, but the person refuses to pay the $25. Good stuff.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Welcome to Europe! Virtually all of the European carriers have a 20kg weight limit, which works out to about the same. I would be more upset, if I hadn't already resigned myself to the inevitability of it all.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
50lbs is the weight limit.
No kidding. But that is a per bag limit not a total limit. Two small or medium-sized bags weighing 45 pounds total burns less fuel than one bag weighing 50 pounds. Yet the two bags will cost $50 more (R/T) than the one. The baggage handlers would rather toss two smaller bags around than lug one larger bag onto at baggage cart.

How about making parents pay extra for strollers? Those have weight that are burning fuel and charging for them would not involve having anyone step on a scale.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Come to think of it, has there been any talk about changes to Medallion baggage policy?

Regular passenger: 1 piece, 50 lbs
Medallions: 3 pieces, 70 lbs each

That's quite a disparity.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah, since we get 3 bags, I think I'll hang around the ticket counter and offer to check a bag for someone going to my same destination for $20 instead of delta's $25

But don't worry, I'm sure they'll change that and downgrade medallion benefits more too.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
That's a great point. I can't wait to see what happens the first time they need to take a bag off and check it, but the person refuses to pay the $25. Good stuff.
If it's within the regulation size, I don't think they should charge just because you were unlucky to get on last. Plus they would have to check if you already checked one. It's the oversize carryons they need to crack down on.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah, since we get 3 bags, I think I'll hang around the ticket counter and offer to check a bag for someone going to my same destination for $20 instead of delta's $25
Delta's finding ways to make more money and is creating a secondary market where Medallions are also finding ways to make more money... black market for Red Tags, excess baggage limits, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.