Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DELTA joins $25 2nd bag club - from 01MAY08

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Honestly, how would the C-Pap rental company know whether you checked it or not? I would not lug along a medical device that I didn't need to use in flight; I would check it.
they wouldn't, but i sure as hell wouldn't check it. if something happened to it while it was under the plane, the OP might be responsible. also, just because it isn't needed in flight doesn't mean it makes sense for them to check it. what if its needed that night--and the bags get lost or delayed?
Old May 6, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I am not checking the C-Pap machine. It costs $1500, and I do not want to pay to replace it if it is damaged or stolen. Moreover, I do not check any other thing that is a medical necessity such as my medication because if luggage is lost so are those items.

I had absolutely no difficulty with it on our out-bound flight, but the return might be different if the FA's are watching carry-on luggage more closely. I have consulted on the phone with Delta and have been assured that there should be no problem.

I agree it is difficult to carry a meal aboard a plane. We leave our home at 4:30 am to catch a 6:00 am flight. We normally have 90 minutes to change planes in Atlanta. Then we are in the air for five hours. If we do not take food, we have to go nearly 24 hours without eating. I think the Burger King sack is more tacky than a nicely packed lunch from home. If we have time in Atlanta we buy gourmet sandwiches there from a great little sandwich shop. Otherwise we pack a lunch. I am not going to take a chance on an upgrade leveraged against not eating at all. Most of the flights we have had recently provide food for sale in coach, but we bought a gourmet sandwich for $8 and it was terrible.

I realize this is not practical for business flyers, but we are retired and have time to make lots of plans in preparation for our travels. For us there is simply no reason not to prepare to enjoy our experience in the air as much as possible.
Old May 6, 2008, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Virgin America's website says that they charge only $10 for a second bag and the first can weigh 70 lbs. The 2nd can weight 50 lbs. Any bag can weight up to 100 lbs. but it costs more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.