Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 5469 on 9 March – A new low for Delta

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:16 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
DL 5469 on 9 March – A new low for Delta

I very rarely fly Delta airlines anymore after being a very frequent customer and CRC member for a number of years. Yesterday’s incidents at JFK reminded me of why I made my choice.

After arriving at JFK via CDG, I arrived at T2 and was very warmly greeted both at the Medallion check-in and in the BE lounge to avail myself of the lounge and shower services. At this point, there was no problem - service was top-notch as was the product. Unfortunately, my flight was delayed by 30 minutes, but I figured, it's JFK, no one leaves on time!

I spent most of my time between 1.30pm and 4.40 (scheduled departure time) between the lounge and the boarding area. As the flight was progressively delayed, people started to get a bit unnerved. Three hours after our scheduled departure time, people started to ask more and more questions of the gate agents. At no point during this time was any explanation offered to the entirely full flight as to why we were delayed. When I queried the agent, I was told that it wasn’t due to weather or mechanical reasons; it was crew issues from the inbound flight from Buffalo.
The flight was also oversold, so the gate crew was faced with too many passengers in Y and 5 open seats in First. Here’s Delta math – they offered an upgrade to people holding tickets in one of five different fare buckets at $75 each and offered five coach pax $200 Delta Dollars, a night at the Ramada , airport transportation and a food voucher ($7 I am told). Would it not have been possible for Delta’s gate agents to bump five elites or full-fare passengers to First and let the people on standby get a confirmed seat? Did they really need to wait last minute and try and nickel and dime people out of an additional $75?

While that drama unfolded, I met a gentleman from Morocco who was here on business – he arrived on Saturday, but his connecting flight was cancelled due to weather. Fair enough, it happens. Too bad for him, DL couldn't reconfirm him on any flights on Sunday to get to his destination. Facing 2 nights expenses at JFK, I took the guy to the BE lounge as a guest and tried to have him sorted out. Since his English was limited, I politely and slowly explained the situation and asked if there was any way to get the gentleman at least a confirmed flight. As an int'l pax (who was also making his first trip to the US), it seemed that his dossier was handled very poorly. The lady at the BE lounge was very accommodating and booked him on an AM flight the next day. I asked whether or not he would get some sort of compensation for not being able to fly out today because no one bothered to confirm him on a flight – I was told that since he was a waitlist passenger, “he really isn’t our problem and has no grounds for compensation – accommodations or otherwise.”

At this point, I was a bit distressed by Delta's attitude. They basically leave an international traveler “stranded” to sink or swim at JFK and no one wants to see that the guy actually gets a seat. I mentioned that I was in a similar situation on AA last week at SFO and I was rebooked immediately on UA because their priority was to get me to my destination. The BE agent responded "this isn't American, this is Delta. If you don't like the way we do things, fly someone else."

On to the worst part of the evening, and I hope any DL lurkers read this attentively: we returned to Gate 29’s boarding area to find out what was happening. It appeared that a flight attendant checked out due to time constraints and we were one stewardess short. A new stewardess was called in and was arriving from Toronto (she was supposed to have arrived at 6.40 pm - it was not almost 9pm). Once again, at this point explanations were not being to the group and we were left to wonder what in the hell was going on. A few passengers went to find out what happened and were snapped at in response by the gate agent. To be fair, there was one African-American gentleman working the gate (I didn't catch his name) who was doing an excellent job of handling the increasingly irate passengers and trying to keep the peace, but it very quickly went downhill.

Finally, the lady working the gate picks up the phone and then slams it down and screams "Quiet! Would you all just shut up? I'm trying to get you and update, so just be quiet!" This didn't really play out well with the passengers. People started to yell back at her to change her attitude and not to talk to us that way. She finally lost the plot and said "Fine, I'm out of here" and abandoned both her post and her colleague. As people started to protest, she ran off and yelled "Go screw yourselves" and even a middle finger with a "Go **** yourselves" as she disappeared around the corner. We all immediately demanded to see a Delta manager. We were told that one was en route, but guess what? He or she never came. Another flight attended finally arrived and we left with over 5 hours delay.

Like almost everyone on this board, I fully appreciate the difficulties that gate agents face on a daily basis. For that reason, I always make sure to speak in a polite manner and treat them with the respect that they deserve. However, I do feel that perhaps they are ill-trained for handling stressful situations. With so much delay, it was obvious that a manager or someone higher up the chain was needed on hand to diffuse the growing problem and to provide leadership to these gate agents. As bad as I feel for them for being out of their league, it was simply unacceptable that a group of paying customers be told to go fornicate with themselves by a Delta representative. Quite frankly, that's the attitude that I feel Delta has been giving us passengers for a number of years and was doubly evident by the fact that a manager couldn't even be bothered to come talk to us once we were insulted in such a way.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dctorres
Finally, the lady working the gate picks up the phone and then slams it down and screams "Quiet! Would you all just shut up? I'm trying to get you and update, so just be quiet!" This didn't really play out well with the passengers. People started to yell back at her to change her attitude and not to talk to us that way. She finally lost the plot and said "Fine, I'm out of here" and abandoned both her post and her colleague. As people started to protest, she ran off and yelled "Go screw yourselves" and even a middle finger with a "Go **** yourselves" as she disappeared around the corner. We all immediately demanded to see a Delta manager. We were told that one was en route, but guess what? He or she never came. Another flight attended finally arrived and we left with over 5 hours delay.
i'm sure once you were on board you started meeting with your fellow passengers to make sure that everyone sent a similar letter to delta customer care documenting the actions of this rogue agent. please let us know how delta responds.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:50 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i'm sure once you were on board you started meeting with your fellow passengers to make sure that everyone sent a similar letter to delta customer care documenting the actions of this rogue agent. please let us know how delta responds.
This was discussed among a number of passengers and I have a few business cards from fellow pax. The problem is that most people were pretty tired and angry at that point and just wanted to put this behind them - and a large number of pax were int'l passengers on connection - I got the impression that the felt writing from home to Atlanta wasn't going to be too worthwhile.

I do have to hand it to her colleague, he stood in well for her while she ditched him. He's got every reason to be upset too. I will certainly make sure he is commended for his professional attitude.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:55 am

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
Terrible, I hope that agent gets fired, if they cant stand the pressure, they should work in a different industry. I have seen it happen before, I was shocked by the behavior of my flight attendant on my FLL-ATL flight on Friday March 7th, she would have rather read the paper and sit down than serve people in the FC cabin. I almost got her name, but figured it wasnt worth my time.
If I was a Delta Executive on that flight, I would have fired her on the spot when we landed.

Hire me Delta (if you read this), I will clean house on these people. There are plenty of people looking for work right now, that will do a great job.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
5469. That's operated by Comair. And it's Comair folks that man the commuter gates at JFK (unless they've changed recently).

Comair doesn't care.

Delta doesn't care because the onus is on Comair.

I've had my share of bad and rude experiences with Comair at JFK. To the point of the lounge agent saying "Oh, that's Comair, and the Comair gate agent. They're not accomodating. I know what the answer will be but because you're Platinum, I'll call the gate anyway".

I am not surprised at all. That is exactly the type of situation where I've complained to DOT and Delta both.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:28 am

For OP's info, the $75 upgrade offer is made when there are F seats left *after* elites have been upgraded.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
they offered an upgrade to people holding tickets in one of five different fare buckets at $75 each and offered five coach pax $200 Delta Dollars, a night at the Ramada , airport transportation and a food voucher ($7 I am told). Would it not have been possible for Delta’s gate agents to bump five elites or full-fare passengers to First and let the people on standby get a confirmed seat? Did they really need to wait last minute and try and nickel and dime people out of an additional $75?
It maintains more order at the gate podium. Imagine the displeasure if five persons, one or two who may have cut in front of you, were upgraded to first for free and you were of equal status. Or, at the other end, five persons got on the VDB list only because the airline offered $400. vouchers thus depriving you who checked in earlier and casually volunteered with less status, a $200. voucher.

Travel tips: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah I have to agree with the Comair comment. Those commuter gates at JFK are a zoo, and the GAs are normally run ragged somewhat abrupt on a good day. Add any delays or irrops and it gets downright nasty. They definitely need more help there dealing with crowds.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
5469. That's operated by Comair. And it's Comair folks that man the commuter gates at JFK (unless they've changed recently).

Comair doesn't care.

Delta doesn't care because the onus is on Comair.

I've had my share of bad and rude experiences with Comair at JFK. To the point of the lounge agent saying "Oh, that's Comair, and the Comair gate agent. They're not accomodating. I know what the answer will be but because you're Platinum, I'll call the gate anyway".

I am not surprised at all. That is exactly the type of situation where I've complained to DOT and Delta both.
DL owns Comair. Write to the executive office and state the facts. @:-)
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
DL owns Comair. Write to the executive office and state the facts. @:-)
Understood and well known. However, IME the only time I got a satisfactory response in writing to the executive office with respect to a Comair problem was when I simultaneously complained to DOT.

The folks in Atlanta basically said that the complaint had to be made to Comair.

YMMV
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Understood and well known. However, IME the only time I got a satisfactory response in writing to the executive office with respect to a Comair problem was when I simultaneously complained to DOT.

The folks in Atlanta basically said that the complaint had to be made to Comair.

YMMV
So I believe that you have answered your own question. Write the DOT and Cc: DL's executive office.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by surferdl
Hire me Delta (if you read this), I will clean house on these people. There are plenty of people looking for work right now, that will do a great job.
Totally agree and well put.

-b-
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
So I believe that you have answered your own question. Write the DOT and Cc: DL's executive office.
Not the OP, but that's exactly what I do.... not that I complain very often.... and yes, I avoid Comair whenever possible.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm sure this is pretty low, but I'm not sure it's a new low compared to what I witnessed some time ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679384
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:50 pm

What COMAIR flt. has 7 seats in F class that they were charging $75 a piece for? The CRJ 900 maybe? Does that have 7 F seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.