Wiki Posts
Search

Gold upgraded but not platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Gold upgraded but not platinum?

My wife was upgraded on a trans-con flight. She is GM. I am on same flight, on another reservation, but I was not upgraded. The tickets were purchased at the same time, but two separate PNRs were used to use the higher priority medallion status. What gives?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Was she on a Y fare class and you on a lower fare class?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:04 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
My wife was upgraded on a trans-con flight. She is GM. I am on same flight, on another reservation, but I was not upgraded. The tickets were purchased at the same time, but two separate PNRs were used to use the higher priority medallion status. What gives?
It's Delta's way of reducing your marital stress. Now you don't need to choose between first class and your wife
Old Mar 9, 2008, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Or did your medallion status change from the time you booked utill the uprade window opened?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President’s Club
Possibility your ticket wasn't attached to your reservation. I've had this happen before (recently), Even though DL.com said "Requested" under upgrade status.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by TTT
It's Delta's way of reducing your marital stress. Now you don't need to choose between first class and your wife
LOL! ^ Once again, DL's commitment to superior customer service shines through.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, SC, AA Plat, AC, Hilton Diamond
Seen that happen before, but don't know what the cause of it is. A few weeks ago, had a through flight separted into 2 segments for both wife (FO) and me (PM) on separate PNRs. I had ticketed prior to her. Her upgrade from ATL-JAX cleared at 1 day out, mine never did at 5 days...until gate.

I had the same issue when flying out of SEA earlier that day, where I arrived at the gate and the GA wondered why I was not on the upgrade list when I should have been first. I explained the long ordeal and the fact that I had even asked at the counter when checking in. Clearly, there is some issue with their automatic upgrade system that has yet to be resolved.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brown069
Possibility your ticket wasn't attached to your reservation.
Huh?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Luggage Tag
Seen that happen before, but don't know what the cause of it is. A few weeks ago, had a through flight separted into 2 segments for both wife (FO) and me (PM) on separate PNRs. I had ticketed prior to her. Her upgrade from ATL-JAX cleared at 1 day out, mine never did at 5 days...until gate.
Perhaps the automated system delays how it looks back for PM/GM if new upgrade inventory is released after their window has opened?

I'm still not a fan of the automated system. If you want an upgrade you should put in some effort, IMHO. I can't count the times in the past I stayed up late to call in when my upgrade window opened (pre-Internet upgrade registration). It didn't get me any increased priority vs. others who also put the skin in the game, but did eliminate those who didn't bother.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Huh?
My thought too. If the ticket isn't attached to the reservation one isn't getting on the plane....
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:52 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dane1
Perhaps the automated system delays how it looks back for PM/GM if new upgrade inventory is released after their window has opened?

I'm still not a fan of the automated system. If you want an upgrade you should put in some effort, IMHO. I can't count the times in the past I stayed up late to call in when my upgrade window opened (pre-Internet upgrade registration). It didn't get me any increased priority vs. others who also put the skin in the game, but did eliminate those who didn't bother.
I fully agree. There are some medallions that just don't care. For those that do though, getting in F so they can better be ready to conduct business when they get off really matters. I think if someone doesn't request the upgrade, it shouldn't hit the system.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:58 am

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
My thought too. If the ticket isn't attached to the reservation one isn't getting on the plane....
I think they were saying that if the E-Ticket isn't attached to the reservation (for whatever reason - SKED CHANGE????), the upgrade won't clear at the window. The upgrade will only clear once the an agent RE-HOOKS the ticket to the reservation. If this doesn't happen until checkin, then you must play gate lottery . . .
If the OP tells us whether or not he was able to checkin online, we will know if this is it or not.

Also, I agree with the proactive approach of Medallions getting upgraded. When checkin time was a component of upgrade priority, I made sure that I was the first!!!
SR
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by indufan
Huh?
A couple of terms have changed but the concept is the same. A variety of issue can throw an e-ticket off the reservation (including schedule changes). Sometimes an agent must re-validate (newer term; the old term is re-attach) the reservation. This can also, but not necessarily always will, prevent online check in.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, SC, AA Plat, AC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dane1
If you want an upgrade you should put in some effort, IMHO.
Agreed. I can't think of a time that I have come on here and criticized DL, and this is not my purpose for the details below. I just want to make it clear that even heroic efforts do not always succeed in an ideal manner.

I spared the long story of how I made 5+ calls to SMS over a span of 2 months prior to the flight, to actually see seat maps (no one knew how to split the segments to actually assign seats). That was followed by 1 call to SMS, an inquiry at the JAX CRC, and finally, one e-mail to customer care because all PMs and GMs had been upgraded on the first segment of the through flight, leaving no V availability (upgrade on 1st leg held up by 2nd segment where V was not released). Followed this up with 2 additional e-mails to customer care to point up that upgrades did not work properly on through flights with equipment changes and one leg did had no V availiability. The customer care representative assured me the problem was solved.

Come to the check-in for the flight back and whatever was manipulated in our PNRs resulted in strange results. System indicated that I requested an upgrade at ticketing and was assured that we were on the list, only to find out at the gate that I was not on the list. GA wondered why I wasn't since I was #1 on the list (PM). GA fixed that leg, and I had to repeat this process again in ATL so that I could get a gate lottery upgrade to JAX, after my wife cleared the day before as a FO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.