FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Using drink vouchers for food (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/788679-using-drink-vouchers-food.html)

underattack Feb 9, 2008 9:15 am

Using drink vouchers for food

AndyTLe Feb 9, 2008 9:22 am

Common sense would make you think you would. The voucher is worth $5, so I would think $5 of food could be purchased. But we're talking about Delta, common sense sometimes is elusive.

onic Feb 9, 2008 9:31 am

Well I wouldn’t think so. The “meal” they are charging for cost them much more to produce than a mixed drink. They ‘sell’ the mixed drink for $5.00, but that little bottle probably only cost them .25 cents, where as the meal probably cost them $3 or $4 dollars.

TexARN Feb 9, 2008 9:48 am

I have 8 of those coupons, and am in the same boat as a non drinker. That would be cool if it could be used for food. Who wants to test it out?:)

AndyTLe Feb 9, 2008 10:04 am

If my neighbor is going to buy a drink with cash and I want a meal with a voucher, a swap could be done. The FAs could do the same thing. Someone paid cash and the FA put it towards the food, my voucher would go towards the drink.

Oinc, wouldn't that mean that DL only wants people to buy the headphones with the voucher since it is only worth $2? Why would DL even give you the option of buying a drink then?

OHDL1 Feb 9, 2008 11:33 am

Originally Posted by underattack (Post 9220954)
As a gold medallion, I got 4 free drink tickets this year. Not bad, but I don't drink (and have enough headsets to supply a plane with). Has anybody had any luck using these coupons for food? Given that DL now charges for food on some domestic flights, it would be nice to use them for food vs. having to start to drink. (probably better on the FAs as well).

Here's your answer.....

>> Initially, we will accept cash and credit cards as forms of payment. Our goal is to offer a cashless program next year, which will allow for easier transactions. Courtesy coupons will continue to be redeemed for a beer, cocktail, headset or wine split, but will not be an acceptable form of payment for food or snacks. <<

This was as of the end of last year.

indufan Feb 9, 2008 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by onic (Post 9221047)
, but that little bottle probably only cost them .25 cents,

Common believe here is that it doesn't cost them anything as the alcohol companies supposedly give it to them.

RSSrsvp Feb 9, 2008 12:22 pm

Trade the drink voucher with someone on the flight for $5 worth of food. @:-)

Ob1Stogie Feb 9, 2008 3:29 pm

I gave one to my Dad to use for a movie on an ex-song plane and they took it no problem.

http://www.gmsgolfsales.com/

DeltaPurser Feb 9, 2008 9:22 pm

You mean you would actually ask your neighbor to buy your voucher for $5 so you can get some food at a discount?!?!?!?!? Talk about tacky...

Why don't you just sell them on eBay? I'm sure you'll get a few $$ for them...

AndyTLe Feb 9, 2008 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaPurser (Post 9224048)
You mean you would actually ask your neighbor to buy your voucher for $5 so you can get some food at a discount?!?!?!?!? Talk about tacky...

Why wouldn't a swap work?

Because you're not supposed to sell anything Delta related and we'll just get back to the white envelope debacle.

sammy0623 Feb 10, 2008 8:44 am

Originally Posted by DeltaPurser (Post 9224048)

that's not tacky...come on! tacky would be taking the big bottle of water in the CRC or something

rhetor Feb 10, 2008 10:15 am

A little off-topic, but I tried to use an old 2006-2007 drink voucher the other day in coach (I didn't have any newer (07-08 or 08-09) vouchers in my briefcase) and the FA was pretty abrupt in saying that they could no longer be used. I understand that the are no longer valid, of course, but I thought it was common practice to accept them anyways... Given that drinks cost DL next to nothing, you'd think they'd make the medallion coupons with no expiration date. They are proof that you gave the airline lots of money at one time (and the fact that you are on the plane suggests you're still giving it to them)--it'd be a cheap way to get goodwill.

BamaVol Feb 10, 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 9221847)
Common believe here is that it doesn't cost them anything as the alcohol companies supposedly give it to them.

I can't imagine that to be true. Why give free alcohol to the airlines and charge bars and restaurants?

AndyTLe Feb 10, 2008 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol (Post 9226105)
I can't imagine that to be true. Why give free alcohol to the airlines and charge bars and restaurants?

As another form of advertising. How many of you knew about Amarula before Brown & Forman brought it onto DL flights?