Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pay With Miles and New SkyMiles Redemption Tiers

Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Employee

This will be sent out soon to Skymile memebers.

No details made public yet of the Three Tier Program for redeming miles

Dear Mr. Sample:

We’ve heard you loud and clear. That’s why we are introducing expanded SkyMiles® features and new ways to redeem your hard earned miles.

You’ll soon enjoy:

A new “Pay with Miles” option, which allows SkyMiles members with a Gold or Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card from American Express to log onto delta.com, search for travel, and then choose to pay for eligible tickets with miles, money or a combination of both.

A new SkyMiles Award Travel redemption program that will offer three tiers and more flexibility for members. More information coming soon.

Now take advantage of:

Booking Award Travel on Delta, Northwest, Continental and (coming soon) Air France at our upgraded online Award Calendar.
Redeeming miles for merchandise — TVs, DVD players, hotel stays, golf outings, gift cards — at our Medallion® Marketplace. Now available to all Medallion members!
Bidding for front-row seats, hotel stays, white-knuckle excursions and once-in-a-lifetime adventures at the SkyMiles Online Auction.
We are working hard to build the best Award program in the business, and we’re listening to the experts - members like you - to ensure we’re delivering the products you want and the benefits you deserve. So stay tuned. We’re going places in 2008, and we want to take you with us.

You’re the reason we fly,

J. W. Robertson

Managing Director, SkyMiles

Delta Air Lines

Terms and Conditions

Pay with Miles benefit eligible on base fares greater than $100 on Delta and Delta Connection® carrier flights booked under the DL code only. Not available on other codeshare flights. Pay with Miles tickets are not eligible for mileage accrual or Medallion Complimentary Upgrades. Refundable fares paid for fully or partially with SkyMiles will be refunded in accordance with the Pay with Miles terms and conditions.

Taxes and fees for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is issued. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. Partner airline benefits subject to change and subject to the terms and conditions of each partner. All SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit Membership Guide & Program Rules.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DLres2006
A new “Pay with Miles” option, which allows SkyMiles members with a Gold or Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card from American Express to log onto delta.com, search for travel, and then choose to pay for eligible tickets with miles, money or a combination of both.
Jeff eluded to this in his story in Sky. Of course, we got to hear the details to see how good a deal this is. However, I already have the ability to pay with miles...although it will be interesting to see if there is a direct cash value applied to miles. I also, of course, already have the ability to pay with money. The combination of both is the intriguing thing but since, being in the minority here I think, don't have a Delta AMEX, I guess I get left out of the deal.

Thanks for the advance info.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I wonder if this will be an option with all flights and fare buckets, or only flights with skysaver/skychoice availability?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
This is just another "enhancement" that isn't customer friendly. Another way to look at it, we can now PAY for our award tickets.

Pay with Miles tickets are not eligible for mileage accrual or Medallion Complimentary Upgrades.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:58 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
This is just another "enhancement" that isn't customer friendly. Another way to look at it, we can now PAY for our award tickets.
This is very disappointing.

If this is our "giveback", it looks like it's going to be a pathetic one.

Unless DL merges to expand their network, I guess it'll soon be time to say goodbye.

Last edited by The Mileage Millionaire; Feb 6, 2008 at 5:18 pm
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Example...

New York LGA to Vail EGE
December 24, 2008 - December 28, 2008

Old System:
F ticket - $4493.97
SkyChoice - 90,000 Miles

New System:
F ticket - $4493.97
SkyChoice - Most likely unavailable because this is one of "those" routes.
Pay with 90,000 Miles (assuming 1 mile = $.01) = $4493.97 - $900 = $3593.97
Pay with 90,000 Miles (assuming 1 mile = $.05) = $4493.97 - $4500 = Free
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
What is the 3rd tier?

I'm assuming tier 1 is SkySaver and tier 2 is SkyChoice.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:08 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Traveller
What is the 3rd tier?

I'm assuming tier 1 is SkySaver and tier 2 is SkyChoice.
Tier 3 will be known as SkyGougerPlus.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Tier 3 will be known as SkyGougerPlus.
It was only time before a level like that would come about....
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Delta Dictionary...

Giveback - You give back more of your miles.

Enhancement - The DL experience is enhanced with less features and benefits for and cost savings.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
Well this is why if you have an regular AMEX it might be best to buy tickets with cash/MR points, at least you earn the DL miles despite the fact it costs more points per dollar than the current redemption rates through DL.

I'd be interested to know what the value is placed on mile as well....
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
The Delta Dictionary...

Giveback - You give back more of your miles.
LOL!

Anyone else notice this?

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
In the spirit of moving on however, I’ve heard all of you loud and clear, and will commit to continue to monitor the situation, award availability and will make adjustments as necessary.

Jeff
We’ve heard you loud and clear. That’s why we are introducing expanded SkyMiles® features and new ways to redeem your hard earned miles

J. W. Robertson

Last edited by vasantn; Feb 6, 2008 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I was wondering where I heard the loud and clear message before, thanks for searching vasantn!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Pay with Miles tickets are not eligible for mileage accrual or Medallion Complimentary Upgrades.
To put it nicely, that just sucks!

Originally Posted by delmargal
Well this is why if you have an regular AMEX it might be best to buy tickets with cash/MR points, at least you earn the DL miles despite the fact it costs more points per dollar than the current redemption rates through DL.

I'd be interested to know what the value is placed on mile as well....
Couldn't agree with you more. If that is indeed what ends up happening, I might not even get the updated logo!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
cash and points

dude, haven't you guys ever used cash and points with starwood or continental? it ROCKS. ^

for example:
- i just went to hawaii a few weeks ago- instead of spending $300, or 12000pts a night, i spend $90 and 4800pts a night.
- few months, i flew lax-yyz; instead of a $400 ticket or 25,000miles, i spent $50 and 12,000 pts.

with both starwood and continental, it's not even close to being always available, but when it is, it's freakin' awesome. i say give it a chance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.