Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flights waitlisted for upgrade but status drops before travel date

Old Jan 15, 08, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, WN A-List w/CP, UA Silver, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle

I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but my searches led nowhere. I expect to drop from Gold Medallion to general member at the end of February. I have several flights booked into May and June, and all of them show the upgrades requested. Will the system realize I'm no longer eligible for the upgrades or am I still entitled to them because the tickets were purchased while I had status?
Old Jan 15, 08, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I think last year, this issue came up and the answer was that your upgrade request would get kicked out because you're flying without status.

You MIGHT get a soft landing this year and get knocked down to FO instead of General. A lot of us, including me, will have to see if there is any "soft landing" on March 1st
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile Silver
I actually had flights booked in March for myself and two sons -- all FOs at the time of booking all showing upgrades requested. We are all on the same itinerary and the fare was U class. One of my sons did not requalify this year for FO (16 and quite jaded having been FO for the past 4 years and now has decided he doesn't want to fly for a while -- oh well, his loss). Anyhow, just after January 1, the flights were marked as changed in my itineraries and the only change was that they had removed the "Requested" and all of them now say "Not Eligible" -- the fare and the combined itinerary make us ineligible. So, I dare say that the computer will catch it...I'm just surprised that it didn't catch it after the 1st of the year like it caught ours.

Roofie
Old Jan 16, 08, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Roofie View Post
I actually had flights booked in March for myself and two sons -- all FOs at the time of booking all showing upgrades requested. We are all on the same itinerary and the fare was U class. One of my sons did not requalify this year for FO (16 and quite jaded having been FO for the past 4 years and now has decided he doesn't want to fly for a while -- oh well, his loss). Anyhow, just after January 1, the flights were marked as changed in my itineraries and the only change was that they had removed the "Requested" and all of them now say "Not Eligible" -- the fare and the combined itinerary make us ineligible. So, I dare say that the computer will catch it...I'm just surprised that it didn't catch it after the 1st of the year like it caught ours.

Roofie
That doesn't sound like a status issue. It sounds more like an RJ or Shuttle MD88 issue.
Old Jan 16, 08, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Separate the Itineraries

Since he's 16 and could basically fly alone, call the SMS and ask them to separate his itinerary out before you drop. Then ask them to add you to the upgrade list.

Like you said his loss so why should you "suffer" in coach?
Old Jan 17, 08, 12:38 am

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
You MIGHT get a soft landing this year and get knocked down to FO instead of General. A lot of us, including me, will have to see if there is any "soft landing" on March 1st
There is, as long as you did at least one flight last year.
Old Jan 17, 08, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile Silver
CelticFlyer: My flight situation is getting stranger. Firstly, the A/C hasn't changed -- nonshuttle MD88 and 767-300 (still showing full availability in FC both legs). But now, my return is showing that upgrades are requested while the two legs down are showing not eligible. Who knows? The flights are so short it's not worth worrying about, but still seems very strange. Since the flights are a few months out, I'm sure the computer will catch it and make all legs non-eligible at some point before departure.

Roofie
Old Jan 17, 08, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Roofie View Post
CelticFlyer: My flight situation is getting stranger. Firstly, the A/C hasn't changed -- nonshuttle MD88 and 767-300 (still showing full availability in FC both legs). But now, my return is showing that upgrades are requested while the two legs down are showing not eligible. Who knows? The flights are so short it's not worth worrying about, but still seems very strange. Since the flights are a few months out, I'm sure the computer will catch it and make all legs non-eligible at some point before departure.

Roofie
Well things change but I have never seen any DL automatics make a change in January based on a *predicted* status after Feb 28/29.

In the past it has been possible for people to be on the upgrade list all the way to the gate but the system would trap the upgrade at the point of confirmation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: