Wiki Posts
Search

Best way? Delta award to England open jaw

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: A.A Korean, JAL, Delta,
Best way? Delta award to England open jaw

This is my first post. Please be kind. I would like to take a trip to England, France and Italy this summer. Fly into London, to Paris in a week, the fly out of Rome a week after Paris. All with miles on Delta. Any help you can offer, is needed.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
No Reason not to Be Kind

when searching availabilities, use the "multi-city" feature on the Delta reservation search.

You may want to consider looking at Manchester (MAN) as well as the London airports (Gatwick, LGW, or Heathrow, LHR). Delta will be flying to LHR under their new joint venture with Air France, I think as early as March 31.

With respect to France, you might consider Nice (NCE) in addition to Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG); you might also consider Brussels (BRU), Frankfurt (FRA) or Stuttgart (STR), as those airports are not far outside France.

We did an open jaw itinerary last year using PMU upgrade certificates, flying into FRA, and leaving Europe from CDG. Our destination was Alsace, the northeasternmost region of France. It worked out very well.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
It will be difficult right now.. Here's why I say that..

I'm doing the same thing. So i've researched it a bit.

The best deals I've found is this:

Fly Delta from US to LGW or Heathrow, then book your return flight from your last destination, say FCO - JFK or whatever.

For the flights between Hethrow and CDG/FCO or whatever, try using Alitalia, thier flights seem cheap.

If you want to visit more than 2 or 3 places, look into the Skyteam Euro-Pass.
(skyteam.com)
Best of luck
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:56 am

Also look at returning on the ORY-JFK flight, that seems to have decent availability (last I checked).
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:08 am

Welcome to FT!

The Delta online award search now includes some partners, so that's the best place to start - look for the "SkySaver" days in the calendar.

IMHO, the most sensible itinerary for the award ticket is out to LHR or LGW and back from FCO. You can take the train from London to Paris (faster than flying) and buy a cheap one-way plane ticket from Paris to Rome.

There should be plenty of availability on Delta and partners to London as there is a massive increase in capacity this summer because of deregulation.

Getting an award flight back from Italy might not be quite as easy. Be flexible - there may only be midweek availability.

If only "SkyChoice" is available in coach, a business class seat may cost fewer miles - always check!

If you can't find anything suitable online, then phone Delta, as not all partner flights are available online.

Lastly, I'd avoid any flights on Alitalia because they may go out of business or, if AF/KLM save them, there will probably be big schedule changes.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Is it even possible to do an AWARD open jaw trip without using double the miles required for a regular RT award?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
Absolutely,

Click Award ticket on Delta.com

Choose Multi City

then do your open jaw. Saw, ATL - LGW and for the second segment do say: FCO - ATL

and If you're lucky, you can get skysaver for it (I just did on my award open jaw) and only spend 50k per person..
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:00 am

I just booked a J roundtrip to SE Asia with a domestic stopover and open-jaw (depart from CVG, return to LEX) and was not charged a single mile over 120k. Open-jaws are definitely allowed.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
I have an award itinerary in business class coming up in May which is probably as open a jaw as can be had: JAX-EDI and return PEK-JAX. 110k miles total.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I have an award itinerary in business class coming up in May which is probably as open a jaw as can be had: JAX-EDI and return PEK-JAX. 110k miles total.
Now that's really bizarre because your open jaw (4,944 miles according to GCM) is more than your shortest leg (JAX-EDI - 4,070).
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by mtparadis
Now that's really bizarre because your open jaw (4,944 miles according to GCM) is more than your shortest leg (JAX-EDI - 4,070).
That's what I was originally afraid of ... but they charged me half the Europe plus half the Asia miles so perhaps the "jaw mileage" provision doesn't apply when crossing into other regions. We'd have to find and interpret the specific wording in the rules.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Recently booked a Sky Saver J class via Air France and Northwest.
DAY-DTW-CDG-LHR then VCE-CDG-DTW-DAY. No Delta availability so the extra stops are OK by us. (LHR - VCE for 30 pounds each on bmiBaby.)

The Gold Desk also offered Alitalia but with them going down the tubes at a rapid pace (when they are not on strike), I chose AF.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.