AIrshow Map Delta

Old Dec 7, 07, 1:48 am
Original Poster

AIrshow Map Delta

Will I see Airshow on my MD 90 and Boeing 737-800 flights? Does Delta use the standard Airshow like on international flights. Do they add advertising in between the maps? Also is there something different about Delta's AIrshow map? Where can I find the seatrmap where video monitors are located? I cannot seem to find it If I an in seat 23A on a MD 90 and 25 A on the 737-800 can I see the video monitor?
Old Dec 7, 07, 7:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I have not seen air show on the 737's or MD-88's on DL. In fact, a very limited airshow is on the 757 transcons now in which there is no maps but just speed, time to destination and head wind. In fact, it hasn't worked on my last couple of flights correctly. So, I think your chances are slim. Plus I thought the MD-88's had no IFE system of anykind... not even drop down tv monitors like the 737's have.
Old Dec 7, 07, 7:26 am
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm
I've seen the airshow on 737s before, but it was really hit or miss. Can't say about the MD-90 though.
Old Dec 7, 07, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta DM
Some of the 738's have them, I could be wrong but the one's with the Winglets and the extra seats should be getting them in the seat back's.
Old Dec 7, 07, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards
On the 737-800s, it is generally hit or miss. Unlike on the domestic 767-400ERs, the Airshow feature must be turned on manually on the 737-800s, as the 737-800 IFE system is a Panasonic/MAS system, not a Rockwell Collins system like on the domestic 767-400ERs.

However, the new Panasonic eFX AVOD system features a similar feature known as iXPLOR that is integrated into the system.
Old Dec 7, 07, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
And it's the iXPLOR that is malfunctioning. There have been maps recently, but not route lines, and no indication of local times, time remaining, or anticipated arrival time.
Old Dec 7, 07, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM

Last edited by underattack; Oct 20, 09 at 7:13 pm
Old Dec 7, 07, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by underattack View Post
make your own map.. a small bluetooth GPS receiver in the overhead bin, and a laptop or handheld to plot the map is all that's needed. Sometimes it even works with the GPS receiver in checked luggage (on large planes, the BT usually doesn't reach to the front of the plane.. so overhead bin is safer)
How does the GPS receiver plan on getting a signal?
Old Dec 7, 07, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Spire Elite
I'm kind of a nerd, but I always ask the FA's to turn the map on when it isn't on. On a flight from JFK-SLC on the 737-800, the movie and the TV programs ended, and they just turned the system off. We still had over an hour left on the flight so I asked them to turn it on. There should be a basic set of guidelines for when it's on, and if there is, the FA's don't follow it.

On the 737s, they can't show the airshow during take off because I've heard the drop down screens need to be up for take off and landing, but it should come on right after the wheels lift off of the ground, and turn off when the landing gear goes down (and of course for the movies). Although it's simple, and most people don't care, it's things like this that make Delta appear to have better planes than companies like Southwest.
Old Sep 11, 08, 1:06 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Gps

Originally Posted by underattack View Post
make your own map.. a small bluetooth GPS receiver in the overhead bin, and a laptop or handheld to plot the map is all that's needed. Sometimes it even works with the GPS receiver in checked luggage (on large planes, the BT usually doesn't reach to the front of the plane.. so overhead bin is safer)
Maybe I shouldn't dig up this old thread, but does Delta currently allow GPS to be used in flight?
Old Sep 11, 08, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by john398 View Post
Maybe I shouldn't dig up this old thread, but does Delta currently allow GPS to be used in flight?
Technically you can't use Bluetooth in flight because it's sending a signal. Of course, no one will likely know.
Old Sep 11, 08, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
Will I see Airshow on my MD 90 and Boeing 737-800 flights? Does Delta use the standard Airshow like on international flights. Do they add advertising in between the maps? Also is there something different about Delta's AIrshow map? Where can I find the seatrmap where video monitors are located? I cannot seem to find it If I an in seat 23A on a MD 90 and 25 A on the 737-800 can I see the video monitor?
No, there is no airshow moving map on MD90. I knows which aircraft are on the airshow moving map is 73W. 738, 73H, 757, 763, 763ER, 777, 764 aircraft. I knows which DL fleets is using the airshow moving map is 777, 764, 763ER. Otherwise, DL does not have airshow moving map on MD80s or MD90 series.
Old Sep 11, 08, 9:10 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-list, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by john398 View Post
Have done it many times myself. Love having an "all time record speed" on my Nuvi of 625 mph.

GPS can be used "...while the plane is at the gate with the doors open, after the plane has taken off and reached its cruising altitude and before it begins to descend for landing, and after the plane has landed and is taxiing to the gate."

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check....jsp#sometimes
Old Sep 11, 08, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Sigh... I've tried using the GPS on my iPhone, just for grins (and yes, I know the Map application won't work right while in the air because there's to pull the maps from, but even on the ground, when I have a good 3G signal...) and I can't get a GPS location unless i hold my iPhone directly up to a window. If i'm sitting in an aisle seat - forget it. I don't see how people who are putting their GPS receivers in the overhead bins are able to get decent GPS reception.
Old Sep 12, 08, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by V1-Vr-V2 View Post
Have done it many times myself. Love having an "all time record speed" on my Nuvi of 625 mph.
Mine, before it broke, was 731.

Search this Thread