Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RealDLInsider - Latest News ...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
I'll wait and see if I should bother to requalify in 2008. Have moved all my mileage to NW for now (and *A) as I've not been able to get any redemptions done this year to anywhere I need to go to (and am now sitting on close to 400k miles from various sources)

Depreciating the currency is what DL has done and I don't appreciate it.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott PP+A / LTPP
Anyone care to venture a guess whether transfers from AMEX MR to Skymiles counts toward 4th tier status?

They should do so since AMEX is buying miles from DL, given the criteria offered above.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jfar28139
Anyone care to venture a guess whether transfers from AMEX MR to Skymiles counts toward 4th tier status?

They should do so since AMEX is buying miles from DL, given the criteria offered above.
Not a chance.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat

Since when can you buy MQMs other than passing the $25,000 and $50,000 threshold with an AMEX?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Since when can you buy MQMs other than passing the $25,000 and $50,000 threshold with an AMEX?
Who said anything about MQMs?

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
I’ll briefly highlight our unpublished 4th tier program. It obviously exists, and there is some rationale for how people get in. That rationale is unpublished, but is based on total revenue (including air travel, co-brand card spend and partnership usage).
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Jeff,

I am a little concerned about this EP thing. It's hard for me to chase a moving target. I fully understand the want to recognize your biggest spenders. But why do you want to do that? Only one reason to encourage future spending. Give me an incentive. I am not beyond buying a higher fare if I a close to the cutoff. But I don't know where the cutoff is. Pretty much I travel out of the most expensive domestic market, CVG. But that wasn't good enough last year. I am a lowly PM/MM. I don't know if I missed it by a bunch or $3 of revenue. I know that I don't have a Delta Amex...which I think it about the most foolish card that a PM can have. I think it is sad that flying your airline EVERY TIME (OK, I slipped a codeshare on NW in there once) isn't enough. I do want EP status but I can't chase my tail.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
In the end, what value does it really hold if you do not feel taken care of as a PM/MM buying premium fares.

Sad to say, but during a major IROP this past week, I was the only connecting passenger in BusinessElite, and a PM on top. I was the only one who got shafted when it came to being reacommodated on the next available flight - and as a result had to cancel two important business meetings back at home in Munich in the afternoon.

While I am very happy for all fellow travellers in economy on their cheap fares with no status at all (DL had FIMs waiting for them in the jetway), this experience really showed me that no matter what kind of status you have, it still comes down to the human interaction that you face.

And given the fact that DL has lost a majority of their experienced talents systemwide over the past couple of years, being *EP* carries little weight from my perspective (unless your travel including the awards you redeem is 99% domestic, when the known *EP*-benefits actually do hold some value).
Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
Jeff,

I am a little concerned about this EP thing. It's hard for me to chase a moving target. I fully understand the want to recognize your biggest spenders. But why do you want to do that? Only one reason to encourage future spending. Give me an incentive. I am not beyond buying a higher fare if I a close to the cutoff. But I don't know where the cutoff is. Pretty much I travel out of the most expensive domestic market, CVG. But that wasn't good enough last year. I am a lowly PM/MM. I don't know if I missed it by a bunch or $3 of revenue. I know that I don't have a Delta Amex...which I think it about the most foolish card that a PM can have. I think it is sad that flying your airline EVERY TIME (OK, I slipped a codeshare on NW in there once) isn't enough. I do want EP status but I can't chase my tail.
I have a feeling they're not looking for people like you and me. IMO the target population always flies in paid (not discounted) F/J, travels a lot internationally, and has (or controls) a 6-figure annual spend. I don't think you will ever see published requirements and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the white envelope.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
I have a feeling they're not looking for people like you and me. IMO the target population always flies in paid (not discounted) F/J, travels a lot internationally, and has (or controls) a 6-figure annual spend. I don't think you will ever see published requirements and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the white envelope.
I doubt the international portion since the known benefits are centered around domestic travel. Also, since the Delta Amex spend does have some value, it makes it tougher to attain for those living outside of the United States.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand all of that but a former co-worker based in ATL received EP status and never bought the first F ticket and never left the country. And, I don't think he had the AMEX. Ironically, he quit the job and quit traveling much almost immediately after obtaining EP status.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
I understand all of that but a former co-worker based in ATL received EP status and never bought the first F ticket and never left the country. And, I don't think he had the AMEX. Ironically, he quit the job and quit traveling much almost immediately after obtaining EP status.
Now that is pretty interesting. Did he (1) control a travel budget or (2) spend a lot on the DL Amex? Alternatively, could he have been making it up (the fact that he was EP)?

[Edit:] Just noticed you said he didn't have the Amex card.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by rcs85551
In the end, what value does it really hold if you do not feel taken care of as a PM/MM buying premium fares.

Sad to say, but during a major IROP this past week, I was the only connecting passenger in BusinessElite, and a PM on top. I was the only one who got shafted when it came to being reacommodated on the next available flight - and as a result had to cancel two important business meetings back at home in Munich in the afternoon.

While I am very happy for all fellow travellers in economy on their cheap fares with no status at all (DL had FIMs waiting for them in the jetway), this experience really showed me that no matter what kind of status you have, it still comes down to the human interaction that you face.
This is kind of surprising, as the Delta robot seems to always watch over me when I have delayed flights. I can usually go to delta.com and see that I have been confirmed on the next available flight. Admittedly, this is domestic travel.

Sounds like the ball really got dropped. Did you send Delta an e-mail?

David
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that is pretty interesting. Did he (1) control a travel budget or (2) spend a lot on the DL Amex? Alternatively, could he have been making it up (the fact that he was EP)?

[Edit:] Just noticed you said he didn't have the Amex card.
He definitely didn't control the travel budget. I don't think he had a DL Amex. He wasn't making it up since he described the "White Envelope" and would not have any way of knowing about it otherwise. I was the only one in the group that knew anything about it.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: delta DM/MM, marriott LifetimeP, united P, Intercontinental P
4th tier

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
While we discuss higher incentives, I’ll briefly highlight our unpublished 4th tier program. It obviously exists, and there is some rationale for how people get in. That rationale is unpublished, but is based on total revenue (including air travel, co-brand card spend and partnership usage). We also include a variable around the actual revenue per mile flown (a.k.a. yield), which ensures that the customers who pay very high fares or who fly often in First, Business and Premium Coach fares, get in. This would mean that a customer who flies 125K MQMs on primarily Business and First Class fares could get in, where a customer who flies 150K MQMs primarily in lower coach fares, probably won’t get in. The feedback around the program this past year from the participants was overwhelmingly positive. The result is that it will continue with a few modifications – again based on customer input. We will be adding some sizable program features around irregular operations support, will be extending the VIP desk hours, and will be modifying the gift program (all to the good). We will also be adding a feature which lets customers who are in, know what they need to do to stay in. For example, once in the program, we will likely have an MQM requirement to stay in.
Jeff:
Your info on 4th tier is interesting; but maybe too late for some of us. I am at 160k MQM as of next week and a lot was from int'l but not 4th tier yet? I stopped using my DL-AX card after hitting the MQM limits in JULY!. I might have continued there, if I knew of extra incentives. Now am at point of adding a trip to Asia. IF WE KNEW the rules, I might fly DL & partners, but incentive are currently unknown. It is to both DL and our advantage, for us to know the full criteria
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
OK, let's see if I got this right. There's this not quite (but almost) secret super-duper ultra elite level with really great (but not too well defined) perks that DL will give you for reaching a secret threshold of some undefined combination of miles flown, money spent on tix, and/or Amex charges. Talk about a pig in a poke!

Of course, as a GM who is seriously rethinking my relationship with DL due to SkyMiles devaluation, I don't have any expectation of ever making "super duper secret elite" status. I just couldn't let it pass without comment. I guess the message is, "Fly like crazy, buy the highest fares, and go all out with your Amex, and MAYBE we'll ask you to join the club."

Jeff, I admire your willingness to show the corporate flag in these parts, but this isn't working for a lot of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.