Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, Delta has no gate check-in for late bags?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
So, Delta has no gate check-in for late bags?

(... or, "Why am I home writing this instead of being on DL560 seat 3D right now?)

I called LA Independent Cab (but never again ) 35 mins before I'd wanted them to come to my place (and it's easy to find, between two major streets), which would have put me 90 mins out from my flight. Being 6 miles from LAX and it being 11:30 at night, getting there on-time wouldn't have been a problem). But as bad luck would have it, they were 25 mins late (the stupid dispatcher put the request in for tomorrow night and I had to keep calling to get them to show up).

Anyway, so I get to the kiosks at LAX literally seconds after the 45 minute bag check-in limit. No biggie, I'd already OLCIed and went to a ticketing agent and asked if I could gate check them (it was still 45 mins out) who told me "if they don't fit in the SizeWise, they won't get on the plane". But I told them I didn't want to carry them on, I wanted to gate-check them, and she said the same thing. I tried someone else (I'd gate checked plenty of times before) and they said the same thing.

So, I said forget the whole thing, and refunded my ticket (A fare). As I was passing the security screening, I asked one of the TSA guys if my bags would fit, and they said "sure!" (and come to think of it, last time I flew DL out of LAX I had to run my own bags thru security, they didn't go on the belt and I had plenty of time that time).

Of course, I was now past a one-hour ticketing limit (as I was told), and couldn't rebuy my ticket.

... so, what happened here? I saw some guy in the same predicament as me (I heard him) right after I'd asked put his bags on the screening belt and head to the gate, so now I ask: why would the DL ticketing agents not try to help me make this flight? (I haven't decided if I'm going to try again for tomorrow morning, having been put off from the whole thing now.)
Old Nov 9, 2007, 4:07 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Don't FAs check paxs bags when paxs cannot get them in the overheads or under the seats? Been going on for years.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:58 am

i have missed the magic 45 cutoff several times. delta's policy seems to be for ticket agents to refuse to help you at first. but if you don't go away, they can be willing to give in. they will put a "late" tag on your bag and put it through. on each occasion, the end result was that my "late" bags were the first ones off the plane.

alternatively, i was told that my bags would be put on the next flight to my destination, but that has never happened.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
...why would the DL ticketing agents not try to help me make this flight?
In my experience the agents at LAX are among the least helpful in the DL domestic network. In that situation (with BP in hand), I'd have just gone to the gate to sort it out there.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta SM Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold
I've missed the 45 min cutoff at TPA a few times (only by a few minutes, max0 and they work some magic in their computer and no problem - my bags get loaded and I'm all set.

I guess it's who you talk to, and whether they had their coffee....
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:49 am

Sure they do - my parents had to do this earlier this year. Showed up to curbside check-in at ATL 50 minutes before the flight, the agent chatted with his buddy for 10 minutes, finally began checking them in and went "Whoops, it's too late to check bags!" So they took their luggage thru security to gate-check it - but, of course, had to throw out all of their liquids and gels that were over 3 ounces!
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You two need give yourself extra time more than 2.5 hour before bags is being cut-off. Because DL is getting new policies cut-off bags more than 45 minutes. It only in MCO, TPA, ATL, DEN, LAS, JFK, LAX, and possibility ORD, too. That's why DL is change bags check-in will be cut off 45 minutes before your bags is onboard the aircraft. Hope you will understand from DL new policies.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
The LAX agents are spotty, some are fabulous, some are forgetable. It would be nice if they were more accomodating on the cutoff and provide some options...

The 45 minute cut-off at certain airports is a HARD cutoff and I've been dinged by it a few times. I wish DL would do it like other airlines, AS for one, that will still take the bag but not guarantee that it will make it onto your flight and will not be responsible if it is late.

I flew LAS-SEA on AS and they noted on my PNR that I checked-in late and that I had waived my claim to a late bag. In the end my bag still made it.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Thanks for the responses, folks. I'd even offered "Well, what if I check them in here and you guys just eventually get them to PIT?" and without even checking the computer just replied "No". It's like they just wanted to go home.

I'm more than a little mad at myself (not just for being late, I hate that) 'cause I let them piss me off and I cashed in my ticket right then; in retrospect, I guess holding a ticket and BPs holds more leverage (but I swear, I went to 4 different ticketing agents.)

(... and while I don't expect anyone at the carrier to bend over backwards, I'm still a little disappointed that a paid A fare didn't warrant even a little attention; the only time they went to the computer was when I told them I wanted to refund my ticket; I could see how someone who hasn't had much flying experience would pull the "I'll never fly DL again!" spiel after that kind of treatment.)
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... and while I don't expect anyone at the carrier to bend over backwards, I'm still a little disappointed that a paid A fare didn't warrant even a little attention
Well, not that it's right, but here's the likely reason why (in combination with fact that the person you were dealing with sounds like a jerk): although they market them as F fares, DL's internal policy is that A fares are coach fares (typically Q) with a free UG. There are lots of threads here from people who buy A fares, get hit with IRROPS and are then rebooked in Y, because "that's the fare they paid for" in DL's view.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by gilpin
In my experience the agents at LAX are among the least helpful in the DL domestic network. In that situation (with BP in hand), I'd have just gone to the gate to sort it out there.
+1000. I had an issue with late check it at LAX previously. Due to traffic on the 405, it happens. I understand that delta recommeds arriving at a certain time so its my issue, but a little consideration would be nice. I almost lost it with one of the DL reps. She refused to assist me, saying it cant be done. I tell her I have been accomodated in the past and her anwer was "well, not today". I left the Kiosk and politely asked one of the DL reps at the First / Bus check in line if she could please assist me. She took care of it no prob. I see her atleast once a month and always thank her.

I should have gotten the rude Reps name. She was tall. Atleast 5'11". I stay away from her now. She seems to be upset at the world. Once again, I understand that it was my fault that I was late and Im not passing blame. A simple "im sorry sir, there is nothing more I can do" would have been alot better than her attitude.

Anyways, it can be done after the 45min check in. Just depends who you ask and how "nice" they are...
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
AS for one, that will still take the bag but not guarantee that it will make it onto your flight and will not be responsible if it is late.
This is not true for my airport. If you miss the cut and want to check bags, they'll rebook you.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MillardDJr
I guess it's who you talk to, and whether they had their coffee....
....and bran muffin.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:29 am
coz

Programs: DL GM
Had the EXACT same problem with Independent Cab doing a pickup from Marina Del Rey. Cab company kept saying they were 5 minutes out. Finally just drove myself and parked at Park One. Got to the terminal 35 min. before the flight. GA had closed the flight (5 minutes early!), and had already given up my seat (A Fare). TA calls gate, asks if I can get on, GA says no.

TA will not do anything for me. Makes me go stand in rebooking line which is incredibly long. Try the phones, nobody picks up after 10 min, so I wait in line to talk to a person. Turns out there were some cancelations, so everything is overbooked (hence the GA closing the flight a bit early).

Finally talk to rebooking agent, explain the issue, talk to her supervisor and get the original TA to come over and verify I was 5 min before cutoff time. I tell the supervisor that this was obviously an Involuntary Denied Boarding because the flight was overbooked. He gets me on the last flight out despite the fact that it was overbooked.

Lessons learned:
Never use Independent Cab Company
Always use OLCI
Once you are past their cutoff there is no way you are going to check in.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:38 am

Programs: Delta PM
The other day, without thinking I tried to check into an international flight at the kiosk in ATL. It refused to let me check in, saying I had missed the baggage cut-off. I turned to the guy there and asked for help. He said there was nothing that could be done, and that I should go wait in line (pointing to the normal check in line) to be re-accomodated on another flight.

So I walked up to the Business Elite check-in line, and they took care of me no problem. It was technically just under 60 minutes before the flight, but the real issue was they needed to check my visa.

Good thing I didn't listen to dude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.