Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Just how non-guaranteed are DL seat assignments?

Just how non-guaranteed are DL seat assignments?

Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Question Just how non-guaranteed are DL seat assignments?

Twice recently I have had my seat assignment changed after OLCI. (3x actually, but the 3rd was a genuine equipment change, so completely understandable and acceptable.)
A couple of weeks back, I checked in in the AM, get to the gate in ROC that afternoon, the reader beeps and spits out a new, different, exit row aisle on the MD-88. IIRC, the new assignment was a seat not in the medallion reserved inventory, and a different exit row aisle from what I originally had reserved and received during OLCI.
Last weekend at MLB, the gate BP reading gizmo threw a spaz and rejected my OLCI BP, claiming I was NCI (not checked in), a little dubious given the fact I had many copies of my OLCI BP in hand, and I lost my much preferred 2B to some seat back in row 9. ...?. DL custommer service went over the PNR with me and it showed legitimate OLCI the previous day, and nothing else.
No huge deal, really, but why does this annoyance keep arising?
I know that the airline apologist script (at all legacies) is no seat is guaranteed. There was a good recent thread on this board about seat assignment changes during schedule alterations, but I can't see a legitimate reason for seat assignment changes after OLCI, either, and there is no chance to catch this type of meddling, if that's what it is, prior to boarding the plane. Changes any later than what I'm experiencing, are a post boarding change, and at that point, DL might as well be WN, at least in terms of advanced seating.
Any input?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
This is one reason I would always reprint your BP at the airport. This way you can know a little further ahead that your seat has been changed and if you have time bring it to the attention of the folks at the medallion desk. It does seem like re-printing your BP at the airport negates the effeciency of OLCI but it 30 seconds it takes to walk up to a kiosk and reprint can be well worth it. If you've received your medallion bag tag and/or key-fob these can easily be scanned at the kiost for a BP reprint or even for full check-in.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:17 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Your MLB flight - did you happen to notice if 2B was occupied by someone that could be a Federal Air Marshal? Row 2 aisle seems to be the favorite of FAMs and they cannot tell you that/
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
This is one reason I would always reprint your BP at the airport. This way you can know a little further ahead that your seat has been changed and if you have time bring it to the attention of the folks at the medallion desk. It does seem like re-printing your BP at the airport negates the effeciency of OLCI but it 30 seconds it takes to walk up to a kiosk and reprint can be well worth it. If you've received your medallion bag tag and/or key-fob these can easily be scanned at the kiost for a BP reprint or even for full check-in.
That's good advice. Seems like it shouldn't be necessary, but waiting till boarding is quite problematic.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by peteropny
Your MLB flight - did you happen to notice if 2B was occupied by someone that could be a Federal Air Marshal? Row 2 aisle seems to be the favorite of FAMs and they cannot tell you that/
Somehow I doubt FAM's fly on RJ's. I may be wrong, though.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
Thought of that, but 2B seemed to be vacant, as best as I could tell from how far back I ended up. Still, I would not put it past these vital cogs in the security apparatus to push paying pax from the good seats and then not use them. No apparent IRROPS that evening to upset their flight plans, either.
Not to go TS/S, but it always struck me funny/odd that the "green" seats on Seat Guru, even in all coach aircraft, are the best for FAM tactics.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Twice recently I have had my seat assignment changed after OLCI. (3x actually, but the 3rd was a genuine equipment change, so completely understandable and acceptable.)
A couple of weeks back, I checked in in the AM, get to the gate in ROC that afternoon, the reader beeps and spits out a new, different, exit row aisle on the MD-88. IIRC, the new assignment was a seat not in the medallion reserved inventory, and a different exit row aisle from what I originally had reserved and received during OLCI.
Last weekend at MLB, the gate BP reading gizmo threw a spaz and rejected my OLCI BP, claiming I was NCI (not checked in), a little dubious given the fact I had many copies of my OLCI BP in hand, and I lost my much preferred 2B to some seat back in row 9. ...?. DL custommer service went over the PNR with me and it showed legitimate OLCI the previous day, and nothing else.
I know that the airline apologist script (at all legacies) is no seat is guaranteed. There was a good recent thread on this board about seat assignment changes during schedule alterations, but I can't see a legitimate reason for seat assignment changes after OLCI, either, and there is no chance to catch this type of meddling, if that's what it is, prior to boarding the plane. Changes any later than what I'm experiencing, are a post boarding change, and at that point, DL might as well be WN, at least in terms of advanced seating.
Any input?
Wow, that's stinks. Sorry about all that.

I've never had a seat assignment changed at the airport. Hundreds of flights and never a change. Weird.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Wow, that's stinks. Sorry about all that.

I've never had a seat assignment changed at the airport. Hundreds of flights and never a change. Weird.
I get my seat-assignment changed all the time... but only when going from Y to V/X
Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I get my seat-assignment changed all the time... but only when going from Y to V/X
Yeah, it's quite the let-down. One seat left in F (No plasma screens at ROC); approach the scanner; machine beeps and prints but not to upgrade, instead reprints to pointlessly shift seats.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Any input?

They are guarenteed no more than any other US airline.

Why rant about being moved ONE row back (into another exit row?). I'd much perfer the non-medallion exit rows on the MD88, since they actually recline, unlike the perferred exit rows...
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Well, yes... but not changed around coach.... right?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Well, yes... but not changed around coach.... right?
It's happened to me once, but due to an infant-in-arms on an RJ requiring a specific row with extra oxygen mask.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
It's happened to me once, but due to an infant-in-arms on an RJ requiring a specific row with extra oxygen mask.
They tried that once. I just glared at the FA & reminded her that these were premium seats for Medallions so put the kid farther back.

I've lost a few really good CRJ 200/700 bulkheads a few times in scheduling changes (basically the scheduling changes have worn me down, I'm not as tenacious about reselecting my seats anymore) but never at the last minute. I can almost always salvage those situations the GA's reserved bulkhead seats or exit rows at the gate if I show up promptly at T-60.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s25843
They are guarenteed no more than any other US airline.

Why rant about being moved ONE row back (into another exit row?). I'd much perfer the non-medallion exit rows on the MD88, since they actually recline, unlike the perferred exit rows...
Sorry, didn't realize I was ranting. Just wondering if someone knows who or what would tamper with seat assignments post OLCI. And row 2 to 9 is not a single row change.

I've never seen any other airline (UA or US IME) change assignments after OLCI, except when forced by euipment changes. Of course, US will more typically tamper with the whole airplane at any time in the process.

Your logic re: the MD88 is good, but you've got your personal reasons for carefully choosing specific faves and mentoring them through any tiny schedule changes. Wouldn't it annoy you to find them unexpectedly changed, even though you have a BP for your preference in hand?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.