Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta removes my Continental number from reservation, replaces with Skymiles number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta removes my Continental number from reservation, replaces with Skymiles number

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite

Was curious if anyone has had a similar experience, and how to fix it. About a year ago I gave up on Delta switching to Continental, and then on the rare times I fly Delta I use my Continental number. Last week I took a Delta flight, my boarding pass had my Continental number on it, but on the return when I checked in my SkyMiles number has magically replaced my Continental number.

Before I checked in online I call Delta and ask them to put the Continental number back in the record. I am told that once I start travel they can't change it. I tell them it was there when I left, and I am told, no the SkyMiles number has always been there, no Continental number.

Sure enough, I go online and I have been given Delta miles for the flight.

So I call Delta again and am told basically I am out of luck, I have to get Delta miles for the flights. When I ask where they got the number I am told that "I called them at 4:44 PM ET on the day before departure when I got my seat assignments." Problem with this part of the story is, I didn't call them, and this would have been before I checked in online, so the Delta number should have been printed on the boarding pass.

This happened another time when a flight was cancelled and I was rebooked to another Delta flight. Fortunately I was able to change to my Continental number before printing out my boarding pass, and I did get Continental credit.

Anyone else have situations where Delta discovers you are a SkyMiles member and just knows you want Delta miles instead of the Skyteam partner that you gave them at the time of the reservation?

I'm still at a loss as to how they found my SkyMiles number, and why it was so important for them to use that number instead of my Continental number.

Also, and the most important one, how might I get this fixed and get the four segments credited to Continental? Obviously I have no status on Delta, other than through Skyteam, so I have no "special" numbers to call to get things fixed. I haven't called Continental as I'm sure they will tell me it is a Delta issue, because, well it is a Delta issue.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I've never heard that issue or had problems with number switching, I've put my CO number on to top off my account, and it has stayed there. Can't tell you why it happend this time.

As for crediting your CO account, you could try writing a letter to DL, but once miles are credited, it is hard (impossible) to get them moved.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
If you still have your boarding passes then you can probably make a case of it with Delta.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:24 pm

Had this happened to me once and after 3 calls to DL they were not willing to help. I called CO and explained exactly what happened and they credited my account after I submitted BP. They also suggested I close my SkyMiles account to avoid this issue, apparently I was not the first one to complain.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
DL trying to improve cash flow by crediting the miles to their own accounts (= virtual money) instead of paying another carrier real cash for the miles ?
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Rambuster
DL trying to improve cash flow by crediting the miles to their own accounts (= virtual money) instead of paying another carrier real cash for the miles ?
I doubt it was intentional, probably some computer glitch. I've had this happen to me before when I did kiosk check in. I put in my delta number, but I checked my boarding passes and noticed my OnePass number on a CO flight, so I went back to the TA and had her change it to my Delta Number manually. I kept the boarding passes for 2 weeks just in case and my miles posted accordingly.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:22 pm

It is extremely unusual that FF acount numbers get switched. If your orig BP has your Continental number, submit it to CO for mileage credit.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:12 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I doubt the cause here is anything sinister on DL's part.

I once received CO miles for a short CO flight that I wanted to credit to DL. Corporate travel put the wrong number in. It's been a beast trying to get things switched. (No problem for CO to remove, but DL hasn't added the credit.)
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I cannot imagine this happening without someone providing the DL SM number to DL at some point in the process. For example, OLCI by accessing the record at the kiosk by entering SM number, then taking additional steps to identify the record when no record was retrieved....I don't know that it could happen this way, but I think SOMEONE associated with the OP would have to have provided the SM number at some time for this to happen.

For this to happen as a glitch, there would have to be some linkage of the CO and DL FF numbers in the DL computer, which I doubt. The only other DL-caused scenario would be a deliberate effort on the part of a DL agent to see if a particular pax with a CO number in a DL reservation, also had a SM number. They'd have to search by name and address, then switch the numbers. Something I think would be beyond possibility.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:54 pm

It's happened to me in the past, so I never enter or mention my Skymiles #, as it is difficult to impossible to switch to another ST carrier # once it is there. I just leave it blank and then call in to provide my NW WP#. It's silly DL site doesn't allow you to enter the info online; must be intended/calculated site deficiency to avoid FF mile attrition out of Skymiles.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 8:03 pm

You could always just "play dumb" and fax in the BP's to CO. Either the miles will post or they won't. If they don't then it's time to start raising cane if it's worth it to you.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:18 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I was able to successfully remove a UA credited flight and get US credit by having UA delete the flight from their system and then submitting the boarding pass for US credit. I was also able to get CO credit for a CO partner airline with my DL number on the boarding pass because that flight would not get credit with anyone other than CO. I have had problems when trying to change the airline credit at the gate. Agents won't do it if you have been upgraded in their own system, unless you are willing to give up the upgrade and go to coach. I also have had problems when the GA tells me the number is in there, but then the credit shows on another airline. Unless the flight is critical for your status or needed award, the best option would be to let it go.

Note: the UA flight was critical for elite on US, even then I still had to do one MR in December.

-outoftown

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.