Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regular Delta Passenger Working the Snack Cart

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
Originally Posted by kanebear
Given that one of the first rules about non-rev is that you do NOT discuss non-rev it may be that the FA in question simply said "yes" rather than belabor the point.
The first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:11 am

I've helped out the flight crews when I was with Mesa, sure...we didn't have huge aircrafts but it's nice to help out

I recall distinctly one cold winter morning on a PHX-MCI flight where one of the flight attendants was not feeling well, I offered to take her place during beverage service and I had a wonderful time doing it.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by HeHateY
No not cool.

First there is the liability issue should the cart get loose or injure someone on the way down the aisle.

Then there is the safety issue. Should I follow this chap if we need to evacuate in a hurry?

Third there is the security issue. Can he/she tell me what to do? If I disagree am I disobeying the orders of the crew? What is his/her name should I need to complain? What if the cart is suddenly used by this person as a battering ram on the cockpit door or is used to bash the real F/A's into unconsiousness?

Tell me this is not a case of impersonatiing a aircraft crew member?
I have to agree. Flight crew are there primarily for safety, and in the event of an emergency, and even in the normal course of a flight, I am going to feel most comfortable taking instructions from and interacting with a uniformed crew member, or at least a crew member with some sort of identification on.

I traveled recently internationally on NW (one of only a handful of times flying on an American carrier overseas) and one of the FAs was dressed in slacks, with a white shirt (no tie) and a black vest fleece. He looked very much like an average passenger as he wore nothing identifying him as an airline employee. I was really surprised. You would never see anything like that on BA, the airline I normally fly internationally.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Letting regular pax serve the drinks would be a great way to save money and give bored passengers something to do on those long hauls other than watch edited movies. But why stop there? There are a myriad of jobs we laymen could do:
  • Operate the drink/snack cart
  • Hand out pillows and blankies
  • Make sure no one takes up more than their fair share of the overhead bins
  • Manhandle unruly, drunk passengers
  • Coordinate sing-alongs ("Okay, this round let's hear the window passengers only!")
  • Clean the latrines
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341343
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a WN flight earlier this month when a uniformed deadheading pilot was doing part of the beverage service. It seemed a little odd, so I asked him whether he was moonlighting. He said he was bored (it was a 4 hour flight), and it gave him something to do. I can't really imagine this happening on any legacy carrier.

I also can't imagine a pax being allowed to do the snack service on any US airline. I'm also guessing it was an off duty f/a pulling the OP's leg, but I'd never say never!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by happydad100
OP Here. This is what I suspected when I saw him. However, I specifically asked him if he was off-duty and he said no. Said he was on his way to SLC to some event involving his skateboards (had a couple of boards with him).
Perhaps it was Tony Hawk... the skateboarder / celebrity...

Is this the man you saw http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/4545...950449_400.jpg ???
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Recreation
  • Make sure no one takes up more than their fair share of the overhead bins
Yeah, I think I would love to enforce this one... seriously, don't people get it???
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Flight crews are not there "primarily for safety". That's little but a mantra for lazy flight attendants.

98% of a flight attendant's job is attending to passengers in accordance with the airline's service standards for the flight and class of service. When safety issues arise, obviously they take precedence.

Originally Posted by AGSF
I have to agree. Flight crew are there primarily for safety, and in the event of an emergency, and even in the normal course of a flight, I am going to feel most comfortable taking instructions from and interacting with a uniformed crew member, or at least a crew member with some sort of identification on.

I traveled recently internationally on NW (one of only a handful of times flying on an American carrier overseas) and one of the FAs was dressed in slacks, with a white shirt (no tie) and a black vest fleece. He looked very much like an average passenger as he wore nothing identifying him as an airline employee. I was really surprised. You would never see anything like that on BA, the airline I normally fly internationally.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
Hey, ya do what ya gotta do....several years ago, when DL was beginning its slide into bankrupt heaven, a pax and myself cleaned the rear lavatory because the FA's were going to delay the flight in order to get it cleaned. Since my connection would have been missed (along with many others) and the next connection was 18 hrs. later, out came the paper towels and we mopped 'er up.

The FA's thanked us and the Capt. said "..we are out of here..."

Still got that blue stain on my old tie........
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:15 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Flight crews are not there "primarily for safety". That's little but a mantra for lazy flight attendants.

98% of a flight attendant's job is attending to passengers in accordance with the airline's service standards for the flight and class of service. When safety issues arise, obviously they take precedence.

From a legal standpoint, if the FAs performed no service whatsoever (no meals, drinks, etc.) you'd have no legal recourse. If an FA didn't assist in an emergency evacuation and you were hurt, you'd have a multi-million dollar case. In such an emergency, I want to see a uniformed FA giving instructions.

And on a lighter note, if you've flown on US recently, you'll see that about 4% of the FA's job is attending to passengers.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 9:15 am

Way back in the early sixties I was usually given the chance to carry around the tray with the chiclets & mini-sticks of gum and offer it before landing. I must have been in first and second grade. Child labor started at an early age back then.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
My wife is from Asia and I've assisted the Asian flight crew several times closing the overhead bins. I usually have a quick chuckle as I watch the smaller Asian FA's standing on the seats to reach the middle bins. Then I just help out.

LS
Old Oct 30, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
From a legal standpoint, if the FAs performed no service whatsoever (no meals, drinks, etc.) you'd have no legal recourse..
Irrelevant as well as wrong. The costs of pursuing legal action for a coke & peanuts would far exceed the value of the service not rendered. Someone booked in international business class likely would take a different view.

And on a lighter note, if you've flown on US recently, you'll see that about 4% of the FA's job is attending to passengers.
Also irrelevent. Lack of service on US isn't my problem. If they did that on DL (or NW) they'd probably be canned.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 8:07 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Of course they are there "primarily for safety". If the FAA didn't require them do you think they'd even be on board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.