Search

Regular Delta Passenger Working the Snack Cart

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Smile

Originally Posted by cvgflyer2
... very cool delta employees!
The DL front-line team are the best going. They are the reason I stick with DL. I've seen off duty FA's help out numerous times on DL. I think I've seen it once on NW.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Flying out of LGW to JFK a couple of weeks back, the crew was short two or three bodies. As we boarded, you could see they were really nervous about this as they worked the pre-flight stuff. I know they were expecting to be short one in BE. As it turns out, at least one or two off-duty FA's chipped in which I thought was very cool.

Also, out of SLC to SAN last Monday, the crew was late in getting in (90 min or so). They held off on boarding for about an hour but when the pilot and copilot showed up, they began boarding using SLC ground staff. They were great and even served cocktails (nice and strong). We sat there for about another 40 minutes for the crew to finally made it in. All in all, excellent effort DL.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:25 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I've seen it on the DL shuttle a few times. It is nice of them to help out on a short flight like that. I've never seen it happen on the US Shuttle.
Don't give US any ideas, since they actually would use passengers for the snack cart....
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Thumbs down

i had the same thing happen on my last flight too. noticed a guy sitting in a middle seat near me and the next time i saw him he was working the cart. he looked nice w/ all black on and i was confused. but now reading this, i guess it happens a lot, off duty fa's helping out. very cool delta employees!
No not cool.

First there is the liability issue should the cart get loose or injure someone on the way down the aisle.

Then there is the safety issue. Should I follow this chap if we need to evacuate in a hurry?

Third there is the security issue. Can he/she tell me what to do? If I disagree am I disobeying the orders of the crew? What is his/her name should I need to complain? What if the cart is suddenly used by this person as a battering ram on the cockpit door or is used to bash the real F/A's into unconsiousness?

Tell me this is not a case of impersonatiing a aircraft crew member?
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by happydad100
OP Here. This is what I suspected when I saw him. However, I specifically asked him if he was off-duty and he said no. Said he was on his way to SLC to some event involving his skateboards (had a couple of boards with him).
that's nutty. if he was really just a regular passenger, there has to be some serious liability attached to him working the cart.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY
Well, the OP says that the cart-pusher very clearly denied being a crew member when asked about it.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I figured it out. The cart pusher was really a FAM going incognito! @:-)
Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AMEX Centurion, SkyClub
Either way this provided a quick afternoon laugh --- I'm picturing skateboard legend Tony Hawk pushing the cart down the aisle.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:12 pm

Programs: NW PE
He's not really an FA but...

maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before?
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:19 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by HeHateY
No not cool.

First there is the liability issue should the cart get loose or injure someone on the way down the aisle.

Then there is the safety issue. Should I follow this chap if we need to evacuate in a hurry?

Third there is the security issue. Can he/she tell me what to do? If I disagree am I disobeying the orders of the crew? What is his/her name should I need to complain? What if the cart is suddenly used by this person as a battering ram on the cockpit door or is used to bash the real F/A's into unconsiousness?

maybe i'll just follow you, you seem to know it all.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL PM
At some point, we all have to help out. I was on a flight that had to do an emergency landing and some dumb Arsh was insisting he take his freaking carry on during the evac holding everyone up. The FA who was halfway down the eisle couldn't get to him, and, was busy evacing, so I took it upon myself to throttle him and get him off the airplane minus his luggage. The FA was much appreciative!

We should all take pride in our skills... Whether it is on the snack, liquor, or evac roles :-)

oh, and I wasn't concerned about a lawsuit. If I didnt' throttle him, there were 10 people behind me waiting for the "opportunity" to lay his butt out or say in my defense "I saw nooottthhinnnkkkk"...
LisaFlyer
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:30 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Well, the OP says that the cart-pusher very clearly denied being a crew member when asked about it.
Given that one of the first rules about non-rev is that you do NOT discuss non-rev it may be that the FA in question simply said "yes" rather than belabor the point. Or,they were just 'taking the piss' so to speak. Either way, anyone who believes it was really a random pax who went up and asked to run the service needs a deeeep breath and a glass of something strong and alcoholic.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
maybe i'll just follow you, you seem to know it all.
I am with you! This guy seems to know everything, so he obviously would know the way out in an emergency! :P

Originally Posted by Lisa Flyer
At some point, we all have to help out. I was on a flight that had to do an emergency landing and some dumb Arsh was insisting he take his freaking carry on during the evac holding everyone up. The FA who was halfway down the eisle couldn't get to him, and, was busy evacing, so I took it upon myself to throttle him and get him off the airplane minus his luggage. The FA was much appreciative!

We should all take pride in our skills... Whether it is on the snack, liquor, or evac roles :-)

oh, and I wasn't concerned about a lawsuit. If I didnt' throttle him, there were 10 people behind me waiting for the "opportunity" to lay his butt out or say in my defense "I saw nooottthhinnnkkkk"...
LisaFlyer
^ If I ever happen to run into you in the airport or on a flight, I will buy you a drink. Some people are so dumb they need smacked back into reality. ^
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL-DM
A possible explanation for a non-crew member to be pushing the cart is fear. Some crew will have passengers who have a strong fear of flying pass out snacks because it helps occupy their minds, hence they are able to cope a little better.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:18 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
I think the OP was getting his leg pulled. If it was a Friday, Saturday or Sunday then the FA would have been allowed to wear jeans (providing he donated to the BCRF) and a T-shirt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.