My First Medallion Upgrade!

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
My First Medallion Upgrade!

I took the special $99 one way fare to LA on Saturday, and when I walked up to the counter the nice lady told me, "You can board now, but if you like to wait to wait until everyone has gone on, one first-class passenger hasn't shown up." I grinned and said, "YES, I'll wait."

When the time came I was still 2nd on the priority list. But numero uno had already boarded. So I got bumped! Then last night I got a checkin email for tonight's flight. I got bumped again!

Business class ATL to LAX for $238 all in. I am very pleased.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:45 am

Congrats!! And on ATL-LAX to boot...a route that's tough for PM's get get UG'd on!! But now that you've gotten upgraded...you're never going to want to go back to Y again
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BingoLoco
When the time came I was still 2nd on the priority list. But numero uno had already boarded. So I got bumped! Then last night I got a checkin email for tonight's flight. I got bumped again!
Congrats on the upgrade, BingoLoco!

However, let's get the lingo correct. You did NOT get bumped...you were upgraded. If you had been bumped, you might still be sitting in ATL. Now that you're a FlyerTalker AND a Medallion, rookie mistakes will be tolerated.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
wow, congrats!
dont let it get your hopes up for always upgrading though haha
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I took the special $99 one way fare to LA on Saturday, and when I walked up to the counter the nice lady told me, "You can board now, but if you like to wait to wait until everyone has gone on, one first-class passenger hasn't shown up." I grinned and said, "YES, I'll wait."

Congratulations but that is very unfair.
If this would have been Continental, the numero uno as you call him would have been given the upgrade even though he has already boarded. Just because he boarded early why should he not get the upgrade?
I know people at the Delta board hate to hear about us in Continental but this would have caused an uproar with the Continental Elites.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by keisari
Congratulations but that is very unfair.
If this would have been Continental, the numero uno as you call him would have been given the upgrade even though he has already boarded. Just because he boarded early why should he not get the upgrade?
I know people at the Delta board hate to hear about us in Continental but this would have caused an uproar with the Continental Elites.
blah blah blah
Delta Elites are used to it
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Congrats on the upgrade! I became an FO just a month or so ago, and surprisingly received by first upgrade confirmed in the time-window, out of DCA nonetheless. I love love love the free upgrades on DL!
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles SM

Same route I had my first upgrade on after having qualified for the first time as a silver.

Congrats.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Do newly minted FO's automatically get the first upgrade?

Seems like there are a lot of newly minted FO's that get an upgrade on their next flight (or very shortly thereafter)... if I remember correctly, I think I was in that same boat.... maybe some sort of cruel DL joke to get 'em used to what it could be, only to dash their hopes later on down the line....

Just a thought
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ianturner
blah blah blah
Delta Elites are used to it
ahhahahaha
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Nice work! I secured my first upgrade today too (DCA-ATL-MCI) - looks like it's a good time for us new(er) DL customers.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Congrats to the first-timers.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Congrats.

I remember my first Medallion upgrade one that I would have never thought I would get as a Silver, ATL-PHX on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I didn't ask for the IND-ATL part since that is when you had to pick and choose your upgrades.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:18 pm

Similarly my first FO upgrade was an LAX-ATL redeye..... on a Thursday night.

Still no idea how mine cleared.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Even though the person in front of you boarded, they should have recieved the upgrade first. Whether or not you boar has nothin to do with your upgrade status. The Gate Agent 'should' go on board and upgrade the person OR let the FAs know so that they can move the highest Elite to the forward cabin.
SR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.