Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Cremated Remains

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Traveling with Cremated Remains

OK - I know y'all will think I'm nuts posting this here - but I'd love to get any advice. Ms. DMIrishFlyer and I are traveling ATL-LGA on Friday with the cremated remains of her dad. I've checked with the TSA and Delta and it seems there is no problem bringing the remains as carry on as long as we bring the death certificate. But the TSA have quite a blurb on x-raying them etc.

Has anyone ever done this before? I just want to be prepared for any issues that may arise, my wife is still grieving and I'd like to anticipate any problems so that this is as painless as possible for her.

thanks guys!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
1) It's not a liquid or flammable.

2) It will fit in approved carry-on luggage.

3) The container does not resemble a weapon.

I don't see a problem. Sorry for the loss of your father-in-law.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:02 am

When my father in law died we just sent him as freight on a Grayhound bus...he did not seem to mind

Why dont you just check him through as a securly bound piece of luggage or just ship him ahead on one of the overnight carriers to avoid any TSA hassle?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:10 am
Original Poster

I thought about shipping him - but even with FedEx I'd be afraid he wouldn't show up on time (I've been in the freight industry for a long time)

We hadn't intended checking luggage but is probably the way to go...
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Hmmm, 20 years of flying and 20 years of shipping stuff via fedex tells me that your FIL is more likely to be there than you are.

FedEx also has higher hand-monitored levels of service, for surprisingly low prices, all things considered. It's what labs use to ship nuclear materials. 'Nuff said.

Sorry for your loss.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by TierFlyer
Hmmm, 20 years of flying and 20 years of shipping stuff via fedex tells me that your FIL is more likely to be there than you are.

FedEx also has higher hand-monitored levels of service, for surprisingly low prices, all things considered. It's what labs use to ship nuclear materials. 'Nuff said.

Sorry for your loss.
I agree that FedEx would be far safer than checking a bag. Someone once fedexed remains to the columbarium at my church, and they arrived fine. Just be sure that your wife does not object.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Employee
Do all possible not to check the cremated remains....

I have heard horror stories of stuff like this getting lost!

Cremated remains can be accepted as either carry-on or checked baggage. The passenger must have a death or cremation certificate.

Carry-On: Passenger may carry on a crematory container, but it must pass through the x-ray machine. If the container is made of a material that prevents the screener from clearly being able to see what is inside, the container will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. Crematory containers are made from many different types of materials. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) suggests that the passenger purchase a temporary or permanent crematory container of a lighter material such as wood or plastic which can be successfully x-rayed. Out of respect for the deceased, the screener may not open the container under any circumstances.

Checked Baggage: A passenger may transport an urn as checked baggage, provided that it successfully passes through screening.

Note: Only a funeral home can ship unaccompanied cremated remains. Anyone can pick up cremated remains at the receiving point. Contact Delta cares at the number listed in the contact information page.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I think we'll just do the carry on. (I do have great faith in the DHLs FedEXs and UPSs of the worlds, but I've also been to their distribution hubs and seen enough scary things to trust them with this!)
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I flew my parents' cremains first ORD-SLC, and then later took them "home" SLC-JFK-TXL and then by train to Prague. Carried them "as received", inside the cardboard boxes with clear plastic bags, figured this would minimize any security problems. For some reason, when I told TSA what was in the bags, nobody actually felt a need to open the boxes!

Do NOT check these. In my case, despite the fact the DL aircraft was the same SLC-JFK and JFK-TXL, the JFK baggage handlers somehow managed to lose all luggage of all SLC passengers going on to Berlin, took 3 days to get it there. Clothes could be replaced, the ashes could not have been...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.